• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

23 BMW GS1250 Cam timing photographs

Turning tool is cheep and much easier than rear wheel turning in 6th . I'm not one to loan or rent tools due to damage / abuse and hard to replace . Best to tool up and then do a few bikes for friends to cover tool cost .

The new tool must be much easier. Did it for 8 years, Trails End in Fairbanks and Alamo here in San Antonio. The K5x 1200 tool was a weird contraption the used the can gear wheel and only moved the crank shaft a little bit. And only works on boxers. Rear wheel works on any motorcycle manufacturers. But do what works for you.

I am contemplating my 2020 RT and whether I need to buy the special tools. Seems we need a rental/return to share the cost of the tools.
You can save money on the turning tool. Put it in top gear and rotate rear tire.
I rotated the rear wheel on my 09 RT for the valve adjustment with the spark plugs still in because I did not have a thin wall spark plug wrench at the time to get the plugs out. That was surely not fun :-)

Update on David's GS from today . 10K miles added since this service , and today went in and check timing . No change since set earlier this year . Valves still in spec , but I expect the right cylinder exhaust valves to need adjustment next time as they are on the edge of max clearance .
The other 6 valves are well in tolerance . Spark plugs the gap opened up quiet a bit from new out of box .035" to .042" . Changed plugs 2 k miles early .

I opened up the right side exhaust valves as they were close to being too tight and I did not really want to chance it over another 12 k miles. The bike ran way smoother with all valves close to mid spec. Not sure if that has been anyone else's experience as well.

Back