• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

5th Annual Legends of The Fall Montana Maniacs Ride - 09/08/13

Hey Texas LOF brethren, you asked to know about the 2014 Best of Montana 1000.

Start date July 26, 2014 in Troy Montana. You could say this is the 5th annual version starting with the first MT1000.

We are starting to plan. Unlike the LOF, this is not a limited attendance ride. 1000 mi. will be an understatement. With a larger expected group, expect some splitting to logical sub-pairing groups. Not as rugged as the LOF, basically designed to handle large ADV bikes, 80% dirt back roads, but then some extra planning on individual's initiative could find something a bit more challenging along the route. Regardless, be prepared to self-sustain much like the LOF.

Definitely not a central camp HQ and ride rally. This is point A to Point Z. Not a full loop (although it could be made into one with a few hundred more miles). It will be a loop ride for me riding from home to start and back home which will add a few hundred more miles.

Still finalizing the formal route and it will be awhile before we publish the general route (GPX routes/tracks much closer to the event.

Ride report from last year: BOM 2013

Ron

Thanks Ron! Riding the LOF 5 in Montana is right up there with my all time favorites. It's 2k miles from Tomball to Troy Montana... I'm a firm maybe for the Montana 1000.

Last edited:
Ron,

I am already making plans for the ride. KTM is repaired and the leg is healed, time for a rematch. I have warned my wife and will not book any classes around that time....sounds like I am good to go!!!

Brad

:rider::rider:
Ron,

I am already making plans for the ride. KTM is repaired and the leg is healed, time for a rematch. I have warned my wife and will not book any classes around that time....sounds like I am good to go!!!

Brad

Brad, that's great. I'll have my trekking pole, but I know you won't need it. I even have a spare KLR, but my son will be on that one:trust:

Easier basic route than LOF, but there will be an opportunity for some challenge sections. Since you are trucking in, plan on adding about 400 miles to the basic route.:eek2: You have heard of the Magruder Corridor and Lolo Motorway?:rider:

Ron
Bom2014.blogspot.com

Sure wish I could go, but the timing is not good for me. I'll just have to live vicariously through the reports :tears:

Brad,
You will need a drop off point with access to the start and finish. Got plenty of room here at the homestead. I will be running to Troy with my son and at least a couple of other locals. 2 days, one night camping at Sylvan Lake. (Picture from another rider's RR) About 250 miles to Troy.

Coming back from the end (Burgdorf), we will be traveling to ELK City then across the Magruder Coordidor back to the Bitterroot - another 290 miles - mostly dirt. We'll spend one night somewhere in the middle. 100 mile stretch with NO bailout opportunity. A real classic DS ride. In all, over 1800 miles of Montana/Idaho.

Mucho dirt roads.

Ron

Ron,

Brad

Ron,

I talked to stovie...now I will ask you. I have a F800 GS BMW, and a good to go 525 KTM. I could easily ride the F800 on anything I rode on LOF 5, some of the pictures of Scott and Roger AND Lanny might have been a problem. Which bike to bring, or just bring them both???

Brad

Ron,

I talked to stovie...now I will ask you. I have a F800 GS BMW, and a good to go 525 KTM. I could easily ride the F800 on anything I rode on LOF 5, some of the pictures of Scott and Roger AND Lanny might have been a problem. Which bike to bring, or just bring them both???

Brad

All the planned roads are big DS suitable by design. Considering the mileage, I'd say the GS. However, there is a bunch of dirt and what slab there is, is not much and not high speed super slab. Only two major slab runs. The Going to the Sun in Glacier and the Pioneer Scenic Byway near Bannack.

The dirt is probably less technical than LOF in general. Either bike would be workable. I'd estimate better than 80% dirt.

Hmm... Big bikes huh. Leave a week early, haul it to Northern NM to save the tires. Spend the week wandering aimlessly thru Co, Ut, and Id, then hook up with MT 1000 in Troy. Just musing... But! Might be good practice for retirement. To be good at something, you must practice... right?

Hiya Christian,

I missed this post due to lack of forum time over the past couple of months... I wondered who that lovely lady in the ULYBRAD image was! Now I know, how cool is that!? She's still emblazoned and immortalized alongside Brad in that pic with all the other LOF'ers.

Get your pic up here any time, my friend!

Rally on,

Stovey

Awesome stuff!

<snippers>

So, now my wife is famous in Stovey's camp, far away where the bears roam and the snow piles high! Thats UlyBrad teaching her how to ride for the first time ever in his dirt bike class!

e035ce2d-7126-44a7-8825-9be81a7055c0_zps408299e6.jpg

Roger,

You've got my number, and don't be afraid to use it.

All the best, my friend...

Stovey

Hmm... Big bikes huh. Leave a week early, haul it to Northern NM to save the tires. Spend the week wandering aimlessly thru Co, Ut, and Id, then hook up with MT 1000 in Troy. Just musing... But! Might be good practice for retirement. To be good at something, you must practice... right?

Yo Roger!

I am planning on making an effort to hit at least a part of this year's BOM ride with Timmer and Wansfel. ULYBRAD is planning on coming back up as well. My riding season has a full dance card already, and I just hope I can pull it all off!

If you make it back up, please shoot me a line... :clap:

All the best,

Stovey

Thanks Stovey! Are you going to make the MT 1000?

Stovey, Roger & any of the other LOFers, you know you have a place to stop, drop off, what ever you need if you are in the neighborhood.

Ron

Thanks Ron!

It's been a long time since I hit Ravalli County for revelry....

:lol2:

Much appreciated, Good Sir.

Stovey

:tab Not at all. However, I am thinking I would like to get back over to Arizona again because Roger has never been there. I did a trip there back in 2007 that was quite the adventure and I know he'd like the riding there. But I think this would have to be a small group trip, ideally four but no more than six riders.
test-pattern-burn-screen.gif

:lol2:

I managed to get everything packed last night... nothing to do now but wait...

Back