• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

67 days is not 5 months, a solo ride out west

Wasco, Oregon has a small population, but a big sense of humor. Wasco is in the arid portion of Oregon which is divided by the mountains. The Columbia River is only 8 miles away.
IMG_4168.JPG

I showed you earlier that the Native Americans were allowed to use nets to catch salmon. The rest of the population has to catch salmon one at a time with rod and reels. This is a fleet of small private boats all doing slow trolling circles over a school of salmon.
IMG_4169.JPG

A picture of the highway from the Rowena Crest. A beautiful ride.
IMG_4176.JPG

One of the many falls created when ice dams broke in Idaho and Montana. This one is Horsetail Falls. Probably the most famous waterfall is Multnomah, but visitation was limited by limiting parking to a few spaces. I opted out.
IMG_4178.JPG

Wahkeena Fall. Yakima for most beautiful. Pretty, but most beautiful?
IMG_4188.JPG

Back to the city, where I met my friends from Texas A&M. Both are PHD electrical engineers that worked in labs that I helped to maintain. They work for Intel. Mehmet, on the right, is from Turkey. His wife is there helping a sick family member. Jaewoo is from Korea and he and his lovely wife are the proud parents of Leah and Anna (named by her older sister, from Frozen). I haven't seen the girls for 5 years, although Leah did do a Flat Stanley visit when they first moved to Oregon.
IMG_4196.JPG

Leah rode my DRZ
IMG_4197.JPG

Then it was Anna's turn.
IMG_4198.JPG

We had lunch at this outdoor food court with about 20 food trucks and trailers. The menu was extensive.
IMG_4193.JPG

I camped at the Home Valley campground for the 4th time. The camp hosts, a couple that sold their house, cars, motorcycle and furniture to buy this truck and camper to see America, were tripped up by Covid19. Like me, they were denied entry into Canada. They have given up on the idea of being a camp host until the epidemic is over. They are retiring from their retirement job and headed out to see the USA next month.
IMG_4203.JPG

I skipped about 70 miles of the coast highway in Washington so I was determined to start at the far northwest corner of Oregon to continue my coast ride. First stop after leaving the Portland area is Astoria where the streets are steep.
IMG_4205.JPG

And, the bridges are high and long. This one sets a record for something, but I forget what it is. It is over 4 miles long. This is early morning fog. The fires are just getting started.
IMG_4215.JPG

A friend visited Oregon and, for over a year, has posted a weekly picture of Haystack Rock on Facebook. I wanted to take many pictures of offshore rocks to reply to his weekly post just to show him there was more to see in Oregon than Cannon Beach, Haystack Rock and an adult beverage on the balcony of a condo. I was going to reply to his weekly post with a picture. He stopped posting Haystack.
IMG_4225.JPG

My friend Yulia said it looked more like a part of the female anatomy than a haystack, so I had to return for another look from a different angle. Nah, she has a vivid imagination.
IMG_4221.JPG

Along 101
IMG_4235.JPG

I guess these could be considered hay bale rocks.
IMG_4239.JPG

Escaping from quicksand.
IMG_4240.JPG

beautiful, wide Oregon beach, but the water is cold. People wade.
IMG_4244.JPG

I camped at Hebo Lake, a campground about 40 miles from the coast.

Last edited:
Campsite #9. I was in #11
IMG_20200908_081639069.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200908_081639069.jpg
    IMG_20200908_081639069.jpg
    712.7 KB · Views: 228
The road out. There were gust of wind from 50 to 60 MPH. The fire fighter didn't stand a chance fighting in those conditions.
IMG_20200908_081615808.jpg

Yesterday there was a small plume of white smoke in the distance. today this was moving rapidly toward me.
IMG_4260.JPG

Last edited:
Great report of a great trip. Keep it coming. I waited all weekend to open the thread so i could look at it on my big monitor not on my phone. It was worth the wait!

Man, I am loving this report. Great pics, great stories, great people. Keep it up!

A different wide beach, and later in the day.
IMG_4254.JPG

It got worse
IMG_4261.JPG

Face Rock
IMG_4276.JPG

The next morning, a short hike took me to Arch Rock
IMG_4294.JPG

I literally took hundreds of pictures of the Oregon coast. Some are rocky, some are wide and sandy, some calm, and some violent. You get everything on the Oregon coast.
IMG_4295.JPG

It's not the biggest tree I wanted to see, but it's the biggest one I got to see. 25' in diameter, nearly a football field in height, 1500 years old
IMG_4307.JPG

I spent the night in the forest. Today is going to be a travel day on rural roads to try to get away from the smoke and especially the ash. I'm using back roads to try and get mid way between fires. Fine particles of ash get in my eyes and burn for maybe ten seconds. A few blinks and all is good again. It must be cloudy above the smoke because the smoke looks normal. The one thing I don't like about traveling these small roads is the lack of Covid conscientiousness displayed by locals. No masks. No social distancing.

Small road, big bridge.
IMG_4310.JPG

Since I'm in the area, why not ride through. Lassen must be a hiking park like Big Bend if you want to see the best stuff. I didn't take any pictures with my camera.
IMG_4313.JPG

I made it to Nevada, about 385 miles today. It's time for a motel since everything I have with me smells of smoke and most items have a lot of ash. Two Jeep guys traveling together, but driving separate vehicles, were staying at my motel. They were also fleeing smoke and were headed to Moab. They told me they came through Yosemite and smoke was terrible. There goes tomorrows plan. Cut Yosemite and Kings Canyon from my agenda.

Laundry and oil change.
IMG_4314.JPG

Earlier in the week, I stayed in a motel on the west coast and early the next morning I went to the office to check out. There was a young couple and two children sleeping in their car in the parking lot. I mentioned it to the owner and he said they couldn't find a room so he allowed them to park next to the office. I slept in that family's room. At that point I realized I was part of the problem and needed to get back east to a point where rooms didn't sell out. Being told you have to evacuate your house is terrible. Not having a place to go, even more so.

Lake Tahoe was also listed as low visibility and I assumed it was from smoke. I headed south toward Death valley. I've been wanting to go to The Racetrack in Death Valley NP for some time.

Along the back road way, remember my DRZ does not like roads that require speeds over 60 MPH, I came across the interesting town of Goldfield. A church castle.
IMG_4316.JPG

At one time, around 1906, Goldfield was the largest town in Nevada. It's old school building survived a fire that burned most of the town. Today it's being restored and is some kind of national building.
IMG_4317.JPG

They have a chamber of commerce worthy of a town of 200.
IMG_4321.JPG

Now it gets weird. The town was filled with art cars.
IMG_4322.JPG

Art pick-up bed camper trailers
IMG_4323.JPG

Art vans with art volkswagens on top
IMG_4324.JPG

no description needed
IMG_4325.JPG

"Art" was scattered throughout the town.
IMG_4329.JPG

But the biggest surprise was this, with a restored AJS in the window display.
IMG_4330.JPG

And this Harley 250cc road racer that harley imported from Aermachi in Italy in the late 60's or early 70's.
IMG_4331.JPG

The street version looked like this (from the internet). I'm fairly sure there was a 350cc version also.
aero.jpg

A project in the works.
IMG_4332.JPG

I spent several hours in this small town looking at "stuff."
IMG_4336.JPG

IMG_4339.JPG

IMG_4342.JPG

I jokingly asked this guy, wearing the only mask I saw in Goldfield, if he was going to make this truck run and he said, "Yes."
IMG_4351.JPG

Ordering parts shouldn't be a problem. The company address is right on the grill.
IMG_4352.JPG

This house, made with bottles, survived the fire.
IMG_4361.JPG

The town was the site of what must be the longest boxing match ever in 1906.
IMG_4362.JPG

Coming up, atomic bombs, poisons, death suspended and the first theft I have ever had off my bike.

Last edited:
Northwest of Las Vegas, Nevada. I believe Joshua Trees. Near here is where they were doing above ground testing for atomic bombs. They detonated 100 bombs above ground and 921 below ground. Over 3000 servicemen were exposed to very high levels of radiation. My father in Law was one of them. He had two bouts of lung cancer and died of brain cancer. My wife and her brothers would watch the mushroom clouds from their yard in Indian Springs, near Creech Airforce Base. One of her brothers died of leukemia three years later. Las Vegas high rise hotels would charge extra for rooms that faced the detonation area.
IMG_4363.JPG

I was supposed to turn west and go to Death Valley NP. Up until this point, I had an idea in the back of my head that I was going to get to see the parks in California. I was just going to have to see Death Valley, work my way up to Sequoia and wait a few days for the fire fighters to douse the fires. This sign killed all those ideas.
IMG_4364.JPG

Datura flowers growing beside the road in an extreme desert. Highly poisonous if ingested incorrectly. Psychoactive. Used by Native Americans to engender sacred spiritual growth.
IMG_4365.JPG

I had to get on I-15 for about 120 miles in order to go from the loop around Las Vegas to St. George, Utah. That's not all bad, because the Virgin river flows alongside the highway and has carved some pretty canyons. I stopped here, in this wide and long turnout, to take some pictures.
Looking north from my bike.
IMG_4370.JPG

Looking back towards Las Vegas. I walked to where the road goes out of the picture because the river goes through a narrow canyon and I wanted a picture of the interstate with the cliffs above and the river below.
IMG_4372.JPG

As I neared the far end of the turnout, a car pulled over near my bike and a woman got out and opened both doors on her side of the car. She squatted between the doors and used the bathroom. I continued around the corner, but just had a feeling that something wasn't right and turned around. As I walked back, I noticed something wrong with my bike. She had stolen my sleeping bag which was tied above my left saddlebag, opened my left saddlebag and spilled all of my food and cooking gear on the ground. She tried to steal my tent, but it was strapped on with two heavy duty bungee cords stretched to the max and she apparently couldn't get one of them loose. I've been riding for 57 years. This is the first time I have ever had anything stolen off my bike. I have had 3 complete bikes stolen. My keys were in the bike. I bought a new bag in St. George.

Most of the rest of my trip is something I have done many times. I took a few pictures to help me remember where I went. You know, for when my memory STARTS to fade.
Through Zion
IMG_4376.JPG

Unbelievable how bold some people are to take your sleeping bag right there.

I took a couple mile hike along the rim of Bryce.
IMG_4387.JPG

My shadow down in the canyon east of Bryce.
IMG_4390.JPG

I drove through Lower Calf Creek Campground, but all sites were occupied or had a hang tag. I decided to drive back through to see if any of the hang tags were out of date. Mike waved me down and asked if I wanted to use their tent site and table since they were self contained in their camper. I accepted.
IMG_4391.JPG

Mike. His wife is Monica. They both have DRZ400S motorcycles and live near Albuquerque, New Mexico. I didn't get a picture of Monica, but she's way prettier than Mike. I'm going to send them a small gift and invite them to join TWT as illegal aliens from New Mexico. Maybe they will comment on this post.
IMG_4392.JPG

One of my favorite roads in Utah, Burr Trail.
IMG_4401.JPG

The pavement ends. Last year I rode Burr trail and Notum/bullfrog and the deep sand was terrible with sport tires. This year with TKC80s it was a dream.
IMG_4402.JPG

I forgot to mention that I didn't go into the main canyon of Zion because it now requires a ticket to get on the shuttle and only 14 people can be on the shuttle at a time.

I rode 3 miles up this road to nowhere that I had never been on before. It's a little more technical than I like to ride while alone, but there were several sets of fresh tracks and I thought I wouldn't lay there for days if I fell and got hurt. Nice ride and no problems. I'm getting to like those TKC80s more and more.
IMG_4403.JPG

IMG_4404.JPG

Last edited:
Unbelievable how bold some people are to take your sleeping bag right there.
I was close to a quarter of a mile away and their car was between me and the bike. The 30 to 45 seconds or so that I was around the corner and out of sight was all they needed. I don't know if it was a man or a woman driving the car. They were brazen.

I was close to a quarter of a mile away and their car was between me and the bike. The 30 to 45 seconds or so that I was around the corner and out of sight was all they needed. I don't know if it was a man or a woman driving the car. They were brazen.
To steal a man's Shelter that's pretty low

What did you do to sleep inAfter the sleeping bag was stolen?

To steal a man's Shelter that's pretty low

What did you do to sleep inAfter the sleeping bag was stolen?
I spent the night in a motel in St. George, Utah. There were two large sporting goods stores about a mile from my motel. I had never been to Dick's or Big Five, but Dick's was open an hour later than Big Five and that allowed me time to take a shower before going. My wife now has synthetic insulation in her 20 degree bag. Before, she had down insulation in her zero degree bag and it weighed less and packed smaller. Both of those traits are very important to a backpacker, especially a 120# backpacker. She was 60 years old when she went on her last long hike of 62 miles. At 71, she probably won't replace it because she hasn't mentioned backpacking for several years.

Last edited:
I wonder what the worth of a used sleeping bag is at the pawn shop?
I checked the replacement cost. We originally bought it on sale, but right now it's $250, so maybe $10 pawn value. She left my new Jetboil stove laying on the ground. It would probably pawn for more.

I checked the replacement cost. We originally bought it on sale, but right now it's $250, so maybe $10 pawn value. She left my new Jetboil stove laying on the ground. It would probably pawn for more.
It's wild that on these trips you meet selfless folks like Bob and Mike, but then also come across someone that will steal your sleeping bag...

It's wild that on these trips you meet selfless folks like Bob and Mike, but then also come across someone that will steal your sleeping bag...
Yep. I think it was because I'm gray headed and I was camping alone, but I received many invitations to dinner. I accepted most. This family gathering in a campground near Morenci, Arizona invited me to dinner and fed me some kind of beef cut in thin strips with a green chili sauce. My mouth is watering as I think about it. I mentioned I was heading to Hatch and they said they bought the chili in Hatch. They also invited me to a Sunday morning breakfast of menudo. I declined the breakfast because it was 908 miles from the campground to home and I wanted to get an early start so I could be there in two days without pushing it too hard.
The Perez and Gonzales family. Ronnie, Vickie, Tio, BJ and Melinda. Wonderful family. I have a lot of "thank you" gifts to send. I am a very blessed man.
IMG_4503.JPG

Back