• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Are You Up for Downtown (Cafe)? Thorndale, 6/25/2011

I think our group was one of the last to get there... we waited an insane amount of time for food and drinks and we didn't get checks, so we just finally went to the counter and told them what we got. I think someone at the restaurant didn't believe whoever called about how many of us would be there. LOL That was frustrating, because we got there at maybe 5 after 11 and didn't get out of the restaurant until after

and not wanting to be stuck there till 3pm we didn't get any pie. :tears:

well somehow Dail got a fried apple pie thing, but he got it close to a hour before the food showed up.

The Winchester contingent
WinchesterGroup.jpg

where was this take and what is that on top????

Focus frenzy,
The road pictured is 313, and it goes UNDER one of the longest coal conveyors in the world.....built by Alcoa, and owned by Luminant today, it carries the coal from near Butler, to near Rockdale-where the power plant is located.
I live about 3 miles from this feature, in Milam county.
Come on out next time I have a Milam county run; lots of nice roads here in Central Texas. :rider:
MRD

I tried counting the bikes in the video and came up with 68 bikes and there were several empty spots where bikes had been.

It was a great day for a ride and we found some fantastic back roads with bordering on 50% dirt up and back.

Meriden and Joel were good company and the pace was fun and comfy for all, give or take that one, long, decreasing radius turn, ha ha.

It was thoughtful of Joel to let us take a break at the conveyor crossing, while he hunted gremlins. :doh:

Having my favorite Motorcycle Belle able to join us at the cafe was the icing on the cake.

I'll go back to the Downtown Cafe, without the crowd next time.

My order got mixed up, twice, but I could see that waitress was in waaaaay over her head managing such a large group.

Can't believe they didn't bring in more staff if they knew we were coming.

Still tipped her well, cause she kept a smile on her face the whole time and was doing a fantastic job considering the circumstances. As far as I'm concerned, she and the cook were the heroes of the day. Kudos!

Looking forward to another one.

yeah, the Clear Lake group of Jeff, Michelle, Paul, Chad and I had a good 190 mile run up to Thorndale. Uneventful except on scenic 390 when I came up on top of a little rise and there was a very dead deer in the middle of my lane with about 500 black vultures all over it!! Hit the brakes hard and on the horn to scatter them fast!!

The homemade hamburger buns were great and the skillet apple pie with ice cream that had cinnamon on it was EXCELLENT!!

In spite of the fact that the wait staff was overwhelmed they did a pretty good job so I tipped ours very generously.

We ended up with 409 miles and home at 5:30 pm.

fuel stop at Bucee's
C360_2011-06-2508-33-37.jpg

The FJR is a multi-function bike so off road we go!! This was on scenic 390 about 10 miles east of Burton.
C360_2011-06-2509-14-13.jpg

on scenic 390, just west of Flower Road we came across this field of flowers that none of us could identify. Not blue bonnets but sure pretty and totally unexpected due to recent drought.
C360_2011-06-2509-32-41.jpg

We stopped at this station at Old Dime Box and were gonna gas up but then :eek2: SOMEONE LEFT A FINGER STUCK TO THE PUMP!!
C360_2011-06-2510-02-40.jpg

we have arrived straight up at 1100 hours.
C360_2011-06-2511-05-12.jpg

Leon, thanks for being our "Chuckstitute" for the day and leading the way. 432 miles portal to portal for me. Like the shark, it wasn't too bad if you keep the air moving over you. TxDOT needs to give a little better heads up when a lane is closing for work! Nothing like a free adrenaline rush in a lane squeeze. Kat (sp), Soldier G, Dail and Morgan, very nice to meet all ya'll!

Last edited:
Who painted this helmet?

Hi Texas T, we met at the Hutto Pie run last year. My wife found you and had to bring you over to see if I could guess the name of the rider that traveled the furthest. ;-) She didn't know I had been reading your posts. If you can't remember that's ok. But that was my helmet. It was a white Hornet DS till last week. This was a Birthday gift from my wife. I came up with the saying and the paint scheme, the painter embellished a little. But I love it. :clap: I wanted a kind of "kid" attitude to the writing. He is a guy we have known for 20 or more years. He has a paint/custom car shop, and races off road hare scrambles and loves to do helmets. His name is Terry Deck, here's his website.

http://www.tdairbrushworks.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I've been kicking around an idea of having half the helmet as a TX flag and the other half as an AZ flag. Looks like he might just be the person to handle the job.

Were was this? I got to try this!!

I saw that on the menu in a salad, but didn't see the CF bacon as an appetizer. Looks good.

I've found that Chicken Fried Bacon can be had at:

Downtown Cafe - Thorndale
Sodolak's Steak House - Snook (I believe that these folks pioneered the concept)
The Barnyard - near Bastrop

Any other locations?

"…so we're gonna come up this way, and probably come up through Shiloh…you know how many places in Texas are named Shiloh?"

"how many?"

"There's more than one."
:rofl:

"…so we're gonna come up this way, and probably come up through Shiloh…you know how many places in Texas are named Shiloh?"

"how many?"

"There's more than one."
:rofl:

That's the current "Where Am I" post I think.....

Bob is the guy at 53 seconds into Mudclod's video taking off his jacket............

As is often the case, I was running under the radar! :trust:

Of course, the bad side of that is that I only have ONE picture of me from all the years I played in the SCA. :doh:

And in most family pictures, I'm the guy with the camera. :doh::doh:

Back