• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin to Alaska ... July 2014

At the top of the cassiar highway
8asupymu.jpg

Made it to Hyder, AK. Or Stewart Canada. One of the most beautiful canyons I've seen on the trip. Bear glacier coming down off the mountains. Need to offload gopro pics...
2yma8a5y.jpg

Hyder's a funky little place, isn't it?

Hope you had a chance to eat at Dash Burger in Stewart.

The cassiar is in great shape. Beautiful ride through BC . Not to be missed. No gas in Iskut or Stewart this weekend. Stretched it a bit thin...
7uqaza2a.jpg

Nut and bolt checks after the Dalton have been daily.. I keep finding more loose stuff. In Smithers heading to Jasper.

The cassiar is in great shape.

As long as you don't count that stretch from the Alaska Highway south to Iskut. :rofl:
I saw two mountain lions on the Cassiar. It is an astonishing stretch of scenery, though that BC Hydro project mars the view a bit.

Canada 93 south thru Jasper ......one of my favorite roads in the world. It's been a while. Back in the day one could walk off the road and onto Columbia glacier.
Enjoy your return trip please. Home will be here, those roads might not be in your future for a while.
Great following your trip :clap:

What a great trip to follow, truly inspirational, maybe not in a good way according to my wife! I've been shopping adventure and dual sports now for the last 2weeks! Anyhow, in can't help but wonder if you are considering a Border to Border insanity due to your entry into the US at Coutts is one of the preferred routes....thanks again for sharing your adventure!

Collateral damage. Took a rock on the alcan on the way down. Used 2 part epoxy but looks like it let go as well... At this rate I'll be riding the tank and a bark buster by the time I get to Texas...
depejy3y.jpg

Waiting out some rain in great Falls. Doing chain maintenance again... Note to self: next touring bike = shift drive...

Waiting out some rain in great Falls. Doing chain maintenance again... Note to self: next touring bike = shift drive...

Funny you say that, I was out looking at a Tenere ES earlier today. If it wouldn't have resulted in a divorce, it'd be sitting in my garage right now. Hard to justify another bike, so the HD and the Gixxer are going up for sale later this week..... I'm gonna keep the Wee....... for now.

Seeing as how your still single for the moment, go ahead, pull the trigger before it becomes much harder to do!

In Calgary. Ice field Parkway is awesome
ynypujet.jpg

Is there a river that goes thru the back of that motel ?? I think I stayed in the same place.
Sorry (for all of us) that your trip is over. It was fun while it lasted. :clap:

Headed into Billings... Where I reaffirmed 2 things.
1. Meth is bad. I pulled into a Dennys to call hotels and had 2 people ask for money and watched a fight break out before I got my gloves off. Fired it up and moved on.
2. Billings has no open hotels tonight. Except for a suit at a very high end place... Neither do any of the small towns around it...

Closet hotel: Sheridan WY.
And done for the night.
900+ on the day. But going to sleep in a bit tomorrow.
Caught a nice Pigeon on the way out of Billings and followed him the whole way to Sheridan.

We stayed in Sheridan WY heading up that way and yeah, from what I remember about Billings, we were glad to get through there quick. Those 900+ mile days will definitely make you wanna sleep in a bit, had three of those in our 12 days on the bike. Before that trip I never realized it's possible to fall asleep while riding a motorcycle.

If you go through Casper, look for the guy in a dress eating a sandwich at the Subway (not that there's anything wrong with that)..

I've parked my bike at that Motel 6 on three different occasions -- but I think they hosed me on rates last time through. I'll do America's Best Value (just down the street from the Motel 6) next time... at least it has a gas station in the parking lot.
Don't know what time you're leaving, but Ole's Pizza on Coffeen Ave is pretty good food, reasonably priced.

Back