• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW R18 and Variants: I Bought One!

I'd go Russell Day long if I was paying $800 for seat

This right here. My last bike came to me with a Russell on it and I don't see myself going back to anything else on new seat purchases. My Russell was made to fit someone else so I'm doubly impressed that I can pull a 16+ hour day on it and be totally comfortable the whole time.

I'd go Russell Day long if I was paying $800 for seat

This right here. My last bike came to me with a Russell on it and I don't see myself going back to anything else on new seat purchases. My Russell was made to fit someone else so I'm doubly impressed that I can pull a 16+ hour day on it and be totally comfortable the whole time.
Yeah but they ugly

Some guy on the R18 forum got a Russell Seat. Not my thing.

I can't link the pictures. Not sure if you guys can see the pics without being registered.

Ewww those pleated looking ones are ugly. Good thing they make other styles.

I don't have a top down picture but you can kind of see this one isn't like that. I think they even sell a "sport" version now without the wings on the sides.
20220628_140301_compress68.jpg

Longest tank yet before refill: 153.5 miles. The reserve light came on a little early at 135 miles. I still had plenty of gas in the tank when I filled up. Actual gas mileage: 47 mpg. Second tank in a row I get this much.

We had a beautiful afternoon in Houston

FjFg_IaWYAUmyuk?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Longest tank yet before refill: 153.5 miles. The reserve light came on a little early at 135 miles. I still had plenty of gas in the tank when I filled up. Actual gas mileage: 47 mpg. Second tank in a row I get this much.

We had a beautiful afternoon in Houston

FjFg_IaWYAUmyuk?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
Beautiful pic. Again, these bikes are visually stunning.

Beautiful day today. Makes me long for summer. Soon, very soon.

Wife was out of town so I headed out to Sugar Land for some Indian food. I went to Aga's. A tad pricey but it's hard to beat.

Samosas and chicken tikka masala

FoOH-zQXoAE6jsx?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

FoOH-zqX0AETxZk?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

I still have the solo seat. I'll switch to the Wunderlich rider and passenger seats at spring break so that the wife can go with me. I do love the current look though.

FoOgZdxXwAE-1a3?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Didn't get to ride the R18 this weekend. Too many bikes and not enough time. I'm planning on putting on the Wunderlich seats (his and hers) next weekend or so. I hope the wife likes it...

FqfFwBUWcAUgKMT?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Good to see I'm not the only one who rides an R18 in Houston. I'm thinking about taking a couple of days off this week and go ride but the weather might be tricky.

FrCc0cWWwAEsvfI?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

I didn't have time to ride today but I made time to put on the Wunderlich passenger seat and Wunderlich sissy bar. I took off the saddle bags - they look good but they're too small. I am storing the bags inside away from the elements so that the leather stays in tip top shape. It will be a plus when it's time to sell. I also took off the windshield at the last minute. I can't seem to be happy with the windshield (tall or OEM) so I'm trying no windshield at all.

The passenger seat looks a bit odd from some angles because I'm keeping the solo seat. Yes I have the Wunderlich rider seat but as good as it is, I like the height of the solo seat.

FrD3PZsWYAA9PJF?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

FrD3PZuXoAAyevD?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

FrD3RVPX0AAU2fg?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

I took the passenger seat off the bike and added the Wunderlich rear rack and went for a ride. The bike does great in and out the city. If you haven't had the chance to get out there, you are missing out. It's a beautiful day!

Ft2oXeuXoAcUdZQ?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

I just came across this show on Netflix. It's called The Hungry and the Hairy. It's 2 Korean friends who decide to take a motorcycle trip together over the course of several months. They both ride a BMW R18. I've only watched Episode 1. The show is decidedly Korean (only English subtitles) but the scenery and food looks pretty good. It's also a fun cultural trip. I know nothing about Korea.

I did it! 50 mpg!

I went out early this morning - best day yet because it was a little cooler. Sure enough, I barely did one miles and my fuel light came on. I decided to do a short loop. I didn't want to temp fate and run out. So I planned and route and made sure I ended up at Costco. My odometer read 175.1 miles when I pulled in. I put in exactly 3.5 gallons and it was filled to the brim. I ride in Rock mode (fast one) and I usually ride between 60-65 mph. Faster is uncomfortable due to wind pressure but I do the occasional 70-75 mph when I pass people or need to get out of the way because someone didn't see me and is merging on me.

It's been just about a year since I posted about my R18 Classic.

I took it today for its annual service and a brake fluid flush. The annual service is pretty much like a 6,000 mile service. My bike only has 2,100 miles though. Bike is good to go.

I put the fairing back on and swapped the solo seat for the Wunderlich his and hers. Comfort is much better. Solo seat looks good but it's on the hard side.

Back