• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

CBAT and a Nomad Ride the Great Divide, Part 1

how did the bikes (well, specifically the KLR) go at altitude, did you guys change jetting prior to the trip or was stock just fine and dandy ?

Both of the bikes did great considering the "high" mileage on them. Neither of us really noticed any major loss of power at altitude. The KLR was pretty stock except for an aftermarket filter which was cleaned once. Lots of dust. He also went one tooth less on the counter shaft sprocket which made the 1st gear crawling easier. I used filter skins on my DRZ and carried a couple extra but never changed it. It has the 3x3 mod, an older full yosh exhaust, jetting for 6,000 feet (I think) and geared down one on the counter shaft from stock. I also replaced the stock springs, front and rear. The only mechanical issue was losing that sprocket nut.

Re: the Go Big Ride. The big PR with the big KTMs and big well-seasoned riders is nice and all, but I think a more genuine connection with the rest of the riding and non-riding public could have been developed by covering 'real riders' like you guys and the others that don't have the fancy bikes, financial backing, truck/car support, and doodads.
I commend them for their mission and I hope it is successful in that regard, but it can also work against it. Instead, they should have been interviewing you guys. :clap::clap: You two are 'real people/riders' and are to be applauded.

Thanks for the wonderful stories and photos, guys. :thumb:

Thanks TS. And, you're welcome.

On the way home we did have a long discussion about our tax system that probably allows for big deductions and how they were probably able to write off the whole trip. I don't blame them in any way for that, they are just working the system to their benefit. Most race teams are like that. We, regular taxpayers get to take up the slack by paying higher taxes. It bummed me a little but I'm still pumped about he ride we did and how we did it.

Thanks TS. And, you're welcome.

On the way home we did have a long discussion about our tax system that probably allows for big deductions and how they were probably able to write off the whole trip. I don't blame them in any way for that, they are just working the system to their benefit. Most race teams are like that. We, regular taxpayers get to take up the slack by paying higher taxes. It bummed me a little but I'm still pumped about he ride we did and how we did it.
It's more than just a taxes (and monetary) issue. It is more a matter of true (and accurate) representation. Who makes up the majority of riders, both on and off-road? Who are the ones that ultimately and really 'pay' for access and privileges riding off-road? We, the little people. Not the big riders and racers with their big bikes and big support and big lottsa doodad farkles. In some respect, the latter is what PR of The Big Ride will portray to the riding and non-riding population: the elitist and privileged.

That is why I commented that it can actually go against their mission. And why they should have interviewed/followed the 'real' riders like you guys. You guys represent the REAL people/riders. All of Little People America.
(and you did an excellent job of representing us :clap: ;-) )

CBAT -

My intent is absolutely not start a war here since this is like asking a "what kind of oil should I use" question, but I am curious if the route you took allowed you to minimize conflict with landowners. I would dearly love to do the same ride you did someday, but it worries me that I'd end up trespassing or getting held at gunpoint in New Mexico (hahahaha - just kidding.... kinda...) On one hand it sounds like the route has been established by years of cyclists and motorbike riders, on the other hand it sounds like it got pretty ambiguous at times. What are your impressions?

J

CBAT -

My intent is absolutely not start a war here since this is like asking a "what kind of oil should I use" question, but I am curious if the route you took allowed you to minimize conflict with landowners. I would dearly love to do the same ride you did someday, but it worries me that I'd end up trespassing or getting held at gunpoint in New Mexico (hahahaha - just kidding.... kinda...) On one hand it sounds like the route has been established by years of cyclists and motorbike riders, on the other hand it sounds like it got pretty ambiguous at times. What are your impressions?

J

The vast majority of this route is on public roads; county roads, forest service roads and designated trails in national forest. The one time we had the encounter with a land owner, apparently the situation has changed in that area where roads used to be public and have now gone private. We only went through 3 gates the entire week long trip. All of them were when we were on the infamous Union Pass ATV trails in a national forest. Really, it never was a thought that we might be trespassing on someones private land.

Great ride report. I'm wanting to do this ride next year after my daughter graduates. Lots to do til then.:rider:

You gonna ride the green DRZ? You're gonna love this ride. :rider: Let me know if you have any specific questions about prepping the bike. Or, whatever.

Yes, and I certainly will be in contact as things progress and start to take shape.

I had the pleasure of meeting CBAT today at his home where he sold me a very nice piece of DRZ exhaust for a bargain rate, Ive just spent my evening enjoying this magical DS dream of a ride and all I can say is WOW, what a journey, I too loved the tunnel, that was a "we made it" kinda thing for sure, Thanks for the great story and pics, now I know where the cont.divide is. Marc.

Just finished the report, 3 years after you did it. And it's a great read. You never know what lives you'll touch with a report like this. I've done a lot of rides but have a Lot more to do, including yours one day hopefully. Thanks.

I'll save #2 for tomorrow night and a second cigar.

Cheers,
K

Speaking of oldies getting resurrected, @KsTeveM pinned this in the "Hall of Fame" for best ride reports. I agree. Great report! Great adventure.

Back