• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dual Sporting in Arkansas... There be ATV's in them thar woods...

So did you get the perps name and address? That way your insurance company well deal with collections.
So you rode a long wheely home?

:tab Well, I have A name and address... However, I also have a picture of the license plate on Daddy's truck :trust: At this point though, I am not thinking I'll be claiming this.

Okay, so you beat me in "the worst DS carnage" category for Memorial Day weekend... I'm just glad it was a quad and not another truck coming around the bend...

:tab Actually, the kid is lucky he did not meet another quad or a truck... Neither he or his Dad seemed to be the least bit concerned :shrug: Daddy rolled down off that mountain FAST with me in the back of the truck and the bike bouncing on a trailer.

Anybody want to buy a good skid plate off a trashed KLR? :eek2: Sorry about your bike. Glad you and the kid are ok! Can I come over and see the carnage?

pk

:tab Sure, just gimme a holler.

So is there more to the trip, or did it end this way early?

:tab This was about 3:00pm the second day. We were on the homeward bound leg of the route. I am working on uploading all the rest of the pictures right now and will try to bang out a report as soon as I can. Let's just say that up to that point, the weekend was really awesome! :rider:

my supervisor's dad got sued and is on the hook for about $40k because his nephew hit a drunk motorcyclist in his golf cart. cart wasn't suposed to be on the road and was not street legal. the boy's dad is on the hook for the other $40k, though I'm not sure the case or whatever is over with

my point is, you should have a pretty good case for geting some cash outa these folks

I wouldn't. You can rebuild the front off of ebay for a lot less than a deductible, plus no negative effect on your insurance...

:tab Well, that is what I'm thinking. The kid was just being a typical dumb 16 year old. Been there, done that... :doh: I saw where they live. They don't have a whole lot other than their trucks and ATV's. No point screwing up their lives over such a small amount. It might be different if there were thousands of dollars in hospital bills, but even then, I doubt we'd get much out of them :shrug:

:tab I've got a post over on the KLR650.NET site inquiring about forks and a new wheel. I need to go check and see if I have gotten any replies yet.

my supervisor's dad got sued and is on the hook for about $40k because his nephew hit a drunk motorcyclist in his golf cart. cart wasn't suposed to be on the road and was not street legal. the boy's dad is on the hook for the other $40k, though I'm not sure the case or whatever is over with

my point is, you should have a pretty good case for geting some cash outa these folks

Arkansas , hillbilly,s and cash can never be in a paragraph together unless it's to say not a chance .

HardyBaker and I rode together with one of his neighbors and my brother , we hoteled and told lies in the evening with Scott and the others but rode in different directions , We rode the area southwest of Waldron saturday , Visited with Richard and Uncle at Rich Mountain . all we saw that day were graded gravel , a couple were nice . Sunday we rode the north east area , went to Magizine mtn then came back thru the hills close to where Scott met the locals . Saw one of the most entertaining things I have ever seen while riding . Also saw a bear and two cubs on one of the high ridges . We rode to within a hundred feet or so of them . the roads were all graded and in excelent shape . Very enjoyable riding , nothing difficult and outstanding sceanry . My brother is on a X Challenge after twenty years without a bike with a motor . Hardys neighbor is on his first dirtbike after twenty or so Harleys and both of them loved it . So did I . SEYA

:lol2:

You rock! I should have known you'd be all over it!! Either you or Jack... :-P

Well there was this guy down the street who had a "smokin" KLR a few months ago for five hundred who tried to get you to buy the thing. Remember?

Man Scott, I am kinda glad I couldn't get away for this trip..that could've been me impaling an ATV with a KLR...LOL You'll have her back up and better than ever soon I'm sure. I am already looking forward to the "rebuild" thread...

Glad to hear you're alright.

Since they are responsible they should give you camping rights on their place, I mean not out with the chickens. Sleep with the dogs on the porch:lol2:

Scott, why go back with KLR forks and wheel? Now is your chance to find a set of legs off of a 450 or something similar and then you can get some pretty darn good suspension happening on that thing!

I've seen triple trees, forks and wheels go for not too much money.

Since they are responsible they should give you camping rights on their place, I mean not out with the chickens. Sleep with the dogs on the porch:lol2:

What? And displace Grandma? :rofl:

Scott, why go back with KLR forks and wheel? Now is your chance to find a set of legs off of a 450 or something similar and then you can get some pretty darn good suspension happening on that thing!

I've seen triple trees, forks and wheels go for not too much money.

Well... you know... it would still be a KLR :lol2: I mean, the suspension I had on it with the Race Tech springs is actually pretty good for the type of riding I do. I don't use it for hard core off road stuff, just technical two track stuff. I guess if I found something cheap enough I might be tempted to alter it :shrug: I haven't looked at what other people have done with their front ends beyond just replacing springs/oil.

Well... you know... it would still be a KLR :lol2: I mean, the suspension I had on it with the Race Tech springs is actually pretty good for the type of riding I do. I don't use it for hard core off road stuff, just technical two track stuff. I guess if I found something cheap enough I might be tempted to alter it :shrug: I haven't looked at what other people have done with their front ends beyond just replacing springs/oil.

If anything for the cool-factor and the fun of just making it work :trust:. BTW, I finally got those Marzocchi Magnum forks from John :twisted:

If anything for the cool-factor and the fun of just making it work :trust:. BTW, I finally got those Marzocchi Magnum forks from John :twisted:

Bingo!!! It would still be a really heavy bike for the ultra technical stuff, but for the cool factor alone it would be priceless!

Edjumacate me ;-) What would fit, where would I get it and what would it cost me. With another kid a few months away, money is a BIG issue!

I think if you have pure economics in mind, the KLR stuff will win out... but just in case, here are some links.

CRF450 forks and triples

Bling with your forks.

YZF450 forks

KX500 forks.

Yes, it would be a more involved project seeing as you'd also need a compatible front wheel and hub (yours might be able to be relaced), matching brake caliper, triple tree stem replaced and maybe machined... and so forth.

Edjumacate me ;-) What would fit, where would I get it and what would it cost me. With another kid a few months away, money is a BIG issue!

Basically it goes pretty much like this....
KLR stuff gets tossed out all the way down to the neck of the bike. You would then need triple trees, forks, front wheel, axle, brake disc, brake caliper, brake line, bearings, fasteners for all of it, and races for the neck of the KLR.

Depending on how the neck of the KLR is would determine what type of machining would be necessary to make the donor triples work. It may require the stem to be machined shorter with new threads cut in it, thinned down to fit through the smaller races on the KLR, or a combination of both. It would need to be pressed out to have this work done and then re-pressed back in once it was complete. Then after that you pretty much just bolt every thing on.

Two things to consider with this. You will lose the speedo pickup with going to an aftermarket MX front end. Some of the front ends off of the woods bike (WR's, CRFx's and so forth) still have a front wheel speedo pickup and it could be modified to work. The second thing to think about are the clearances between the triple trees and the front cowling. MX forks are usually spaced a little wider apart and are built a little beefier so they might cause some interference with the plastics until you shave things down to make them work.

So is it a lot of work... yeah, kinda. But I think that's what makes it so cool to do it to a bike. Really, how many KLR's have you seen with late model inverted forks on them?

Well, I seriously doubt there will be any direct bolt-ons, seems I read that is one of the KLR's faults... however, your KLR has an advantage over others: it has an owner with access to many cool machine shops that do favors ;-)

As for cost, probably not much more than you're already looking at if you need a wheel too. The fully adjustable DRZ forks are supposed to be pretty darn good, and you can pick them up for about the same as the KLR forks, plus you can use the DRZ front wheel which is set up for a speedo. You might have to increase the spring rate though for the heavier bike, but you should be able to get a decent price for yours to recoup.

Get on Advrider and KLR650.net (?) and see what others are doing...

No upside down shot? Yer slippin Scott.Glad you are ok.Ditchmeister lives!

Dude,

You sure seem to crash a lot. Thats three times that I can remember.

Trying to score some sympathy points or maybe just creating new material for an avatar? :lol2: As bad as your luck is you might consider a new sport... NOT. Just don't take up sky diving.

Scott I am glad you are okay. I wonder if the 08' KLR front suspension would work? Anyhoo I have a front fender if you want it? It is red and half of it has bed liner sprayed on it.

WOW!!!!! So glad you are only sore and not worse! The pic of the GS on its back and now the MONOFORK KLR are destined hang beside each other in the TWT'ers hall of fame

Back