• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Early morning rides in East Texas

Nothing like new rubber on the bike! :thumb:

Did you get the bash plate finished?

I think it's time to replace the filter again...
ta4e5upe.jpg

I'm slowly but surely getting ready for RTB

Here is some more terrible pictures.
ra8a5aje.jpg
compare
e3ejuhy5.jpg

I've been putting this bash plate off for a while now and ran out of time to paint it. So here it is. Ugly, but it works.

Attachments

• ra8a5aje.jpg
    ra8a5aje.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 19
7a6edu5y.jpg

I made it through the sand riding class this morning. Learned a few things and had lots of fun. Tomorrow I'm going on the Dirty Raid(think that's what it's called).

zu7a9e6e.jpg

Here is me at the sand riding class.

Here is some random pictures of the place where we took the class.
jybavy3y.jpg
ure3yna3.jpg
yqyzeqyh.jpg
puze5utu.jpg
e4anatud.jpg
ubajy9ut.jpg
epe9ejy5.jpg
6y8yvada.jpg
y2eredum.jpg
uzagahe9.jpg
completely off the subject but... That shinny helmet is my really comfortable gmax dual sport helmet. I'd definitely look at them if you are considering a new one. Works fairly well with goggles. I think I paid $97 on ebay. Here is the front view:
zupybenu.jpg
I'll get better pictures later.

unyda4am.jpg

Attachments

• 6y8yvada.jpg
    6y8yvada.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 15
  • y2eredum.jpg
    y2eredum.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 17
  • uzagahe9.jpg
    uzagahe9.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 17
  • epe9ejy5.jpg
    epe9ejy5.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 18
  • ubajy9ut.jpg
    ubajy9ut.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 17
  • e4anatud.jpg
    e4anatud.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 19
  • puze5utu.jpg
    puze5utu.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 19
  • yqyzeqyh.jpg
    yqyzeqyh.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 18
  • ure3yna3.jpg
    ure3yna3.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 16
  • jybavy3y.jpg
    jybavy3y.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 18
I don't fell like going into too many details on this, but basically I was going too fast while I as at RTB and lost control of my bike.
ju7aqeqa.jpg

That's not really much damage at all. Especially since I ended up on the right side of the road and the bike on the left.

So I figure why replace something when you can fix/make it better.
ysuryva4.jpg
I mostly just straightened things out and added some nuts, bolts and glue.
2y6e3uha.jpg
They originally had some screws holding this plastic to the metal frame. So I did away with that and added some proper bolts.
edebaqun.jpg
Looks like it's all straightened out.
8apa5yve.jpg

Attachments

• edebaqun.jpg
    edebaqun.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 2y6e3uha.jpg
    2y6e3uha.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 16
  • ysuryva4.jpg
    ysuryva4.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 19
I don't fell like going into too many details on this, but basically I was going too fast while I as at RTB and lost control of my bike.

Been there, done that ;-) Have also seen it happen to others a LOT. It's one reason why I try to stick with smallish groups when riding. It makes this less likely to happen.

Just needs a proper cleaning and re-oiling. That is the beauty of a foam filter, it is meant to be reusable.

I hate cleaning filters but that's what I ended up doing. I've found I really don't like going anywhere in the car, so I had to have something get me by till I got a new one.

I still haven't gotten one......

Buy one more filter, that way when it's time to put a clean on in you have it sitting on the shelf. Oil it up and slap it on. Clean the old one and set it on the shelf to dry.

This would be the first time I've ever seen something like this.
padepyty.jpg

At first I wasn't sure what I was look at because I was riding down 22 to mini moab with Tim(can't remember his last name or what he goes by here on the form). To say the least I was really surprised when I noticed what it was.

Buy one more filter, that way when it's time to put a clean on in you have it sitting on the shelf. Oil it up and slap it on. Clean the old one and set it on the shelf to dry.

I'll probably do that. I had to put the one on a fan to dry it out before work the next morning.

Google "Filter Skins". They work... Also, get several air filters, pre oil them and put them in separate baggies. That works too :):trust:

This would be the first time I've ever seen something like this.
padepyty.jpg

At first I wasn't sure what I was look at because I was riding down 22 to mini moab with Tim(can't remember his last name or what he goes by here on the form). To say the least I was really surprised when I noticed what it was.

Spend any time riding with the masked man on the transalp and that dashing fellow with the goatee...you'll see all sorts of curious things. :lol2:

I'm heading out to go watch a classic trials competition in donie TX.

I'll try and get some pictures and whatnot.

I saw some cool bikes at the trials event. I was going to try and get some good pictures but this is all I took.
2yvemyba.jpg

I got a little bored there so I didn't stay more than an hour or so. If I had been participating it would have been a different mater. I'd actually like to get a trials bike and start doing some technical stuff.

Since it was a nice day and I didn't have anything else to do I rode the klr to Fort Worth to see some family.

KENDA K270 REPORT.
So far I like the kenda over the dunlop K750 I had prior. They seem to be more versatile. As far as I can tell the k270's DOWNFALLS ARE:
-Spongy on pavement.
-Front tire doesn't have very good traction off road but isn't bad on the road. -Makes more noise but isn't bad.
I really think since they are $129 a set I really can't complain about any of that.
THE GOOD STUFF:
-Rear tire hasn't failed me yet in light mud. Stays fairly clean.
-I've scraped pegs going 30mph and haven't lost traction.
-The easiest tire I've ever installed.
-After 1500 miles I still have plenty of tread on the rear tire.

Is safe to say I'll be buying another set in there future. Although I may use a Dunlop 606 in the front.

END REPORT

Between taking the long way to Donie and then riding to FW I got in about 700 miles today.

Just stumbled upon this, good thread.

Surprised about the SW Motech crash bars. Might be KLR650 related to how they mount. I also crashed at the Eastex450 on my VStrom. Heavier bike and going faster than you were as well. Zero damage to my bike or the SW Motech bars.

Glad to see you are using the bike as it is intended. Sometimes hard to take a brand new bike and get it dirty and scuffed but you're attacking it well. Dont be afraid to drop it just be careful of injuries to yourself. The bike is tougher than you and its parts are easier and cheaper to replace than yours.

The sand riding course you took was a great decision. I'm sure you came away a much improved rider with that experience. Once you know the proper techniques it inspires confidence. You still might have hiccups at times especially in the deep powdery stuff but just keep learning and improving.

Extra air filters make the cleaning/re-oiling job more convenient as suggested. I like to have three and only clean when all three are dirty. This makes it only a once a year or so job. Also I recommend No-Toil products so you can clean without solvents.

Kenda 270 tires are a good dual sport tire for the type of riding you have documented here. Also check out the Shinko 244, even less money than the Kenda's and just as capable.

_

Just stumbled upon this, good thread.

Surprised about the SW Motech crash bars. Might be KLR650 related to how they mount. I also crashed at the Eastex450 on my VStrom. Heavier bike and going faster than you were as well. Zero damage to my bike or the SW Motech bars.

Glad to see you are using the bike as it is intended. Sometimes hard to take a brand new bike and get it dirty and scuffed but you're attacking it well. Dont be afraid to drop it just be careful of injuries to yourself. The bike is tougher than you and its parts are easier and cheaper to replace than yours.

The sand riding course you took was a great decision. I'm sure you came away a much improved rider with that experience. Once you know the proper techniques it inspires confidence. You still might have hiccups at times especially in the deep powdery stuff but just keep learning and improving.

Extra air filters make the cleaning/re-oiling job more convenient as suggested. I like to have three and only clean when all three are dirty. This makes it only a once a year or so job. Also I recommend No-Toil products so you can clean without solvents.

Kenda 270 tires are a good dual sport tire for the type of riding you have documented here. Also check out the Shinko 244, even less money than the Kenda's and just as capable.

_

I'm glad you thinks it's a good thread. Truthfully I only started it so I could keep track of my rides.

Yes! The sand riding class was definitely helpful. I learned a lot but I still need more practice. I'm setting up a playground(I guess you call it that) for myself to practice on, but it is lacking in sand. It mostly consists of small hills, ravines, and I'm looking at adding some tractor tires.

Back