• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Early morning rides in East Texas

If anyone else is interested in the weight of the stock muffler. It is 11 pounds and 8.25oz. The DG exhaust is 5.5 pounds
aguqe5un.jpg

hu6ypyju.jpg

I just got a smoked visor for my gmax helmet.
uhuqesy9.jpg
I'd say it ads 10 points for coolness and makes the bike go a little faster.

I didn't intend to do any off road riding today but I couldn't resist.
3u7e5umu.jpg
As I came up to this puddle I was thinking I should probably go around but figured it wouldn't hurt if I rode on the edge. And guess what happened... The *** end of the bike lots traction and slid in. It got really close to breathing in water but I managed to save it somehow.
vydyga3e.jpg
It's kinda hard to tell from the pictures but that's some really slimy stuff.
a4u4emyh.jpg
The water almost came up to the top of my tool tube. That just happens to be where the intake is(for all you none klr people)
a4aqe7e4.jpg
The stench was pretty bad as well. So after being soaked in mud and having my boots filed with water I decided it was time to start the 40 mile trek back home.

Attachments

• 3u7e5umu.jpg
    3u7e5umu.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 11
  • vydyga3e.jpg
    vydyga3e.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 9
  • a4u4emyh.jpg
    a4u4emyh.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 10
THE LAST THREE DAYS
-I installed the new clutch with great success. The new one is fairly stiff and will take some getting used to.

-Installed a new front brake line. I was going to make one but have been a little short on time lately. So I just ordered it from Eagle Mike along with a few other things.

-Also installed front brake pads. They didn't look too bad but decided I'd get it done before it gets hot out.

-Replace the rear brake fluid. It looked pretty nasty. Back pads don't look too bad.

-After several test drives I hit 10,000 miles. I pick most of the roads I go down at random(including this one. Had no idea what was down it) so I found it interesting that it turned over at a graveyard.
9yju7upa.jpg
tujapaju.jpg
jagujehu.jpg
Old ones look a little cooked. The Rings closer to the engine are the worst. I guess the engine oil has gotten a little too hot. It might be because of the skid plate, I'm not really sure. I drilled some more holes in it to help some. I've read somewhere that said the oil runs about 20 degrees cooler when removing the stock skid plate. Compare that to my big homemade one and I can only imagine the temp. I'll do further testing on this in the near future. The clutch I just installed is supposedly better with higher temperatures. If only the klr had a higher oil pressure, I'd install a install a oil cooler and be done with it.
ynademyd.jpg
8ete7uqe.jpg
y6u9e2ud.jpg
5eza6uje.jpg

Attachments

• tujapaju.jpg
    tujapaju.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 9
I'll never forget first climbing on the ktm and grabbing a big ole klr handful of front brake. A learning experience followed. I know...comparing apples and aardvarks but really. My klr front brake is either an outright oxymoron or maybe just a legal formality. Couple weeks ago I had a local hydraulic shop make up some SS lines for it ($87 thankyoueversomuch) and hoped to have a Brembo experience...nope. Yeah...better but still pretty sad and besides, the old stock line would bulge like Elgin sausages when applied so there it is. I see folks swapping out massive disks trying to find some front klr brakes. :shrug:

Yesterday I had a fairly good ride. I did some explanation near rusk, Nacogdoches, and Center. I started at 9 and probably got back around 5 ish. I think I ended up with about 400 miles or so round trip.
asazajer.jpg
That's probably the worst road that I saw in the area. Most of the rest where pretty decent with it just raining the day before(lightly).
abepe5yt.jpg
I'm trying to get rid of the last bit of tread on that kinda k270(I think that's the model) before uncles around the bend rally.
etugetud.jpg
I got the bike cleaned after work today. It definitely looks a lot better now that I painted that bash plate.

Attachments

• asazajer.jpg
    asazajer.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 10
  • abepe5yt.jpg
    abepe5yt.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 10
Okay! I think I'm finally ready for Uncle's Around the Bend rally. Just finished packing and installing a new kenda k270.
9aty3uqy.jpg
I had a little extra money sitting around and invested in a garmin 2457. Most of the time I just wing it so this should make life a little easier.

Heading out in 10 min. Hopefully I'll be there around noon. It really depends on how much I nap tonight.

Uncle's Around the Bend was awesome! I had lots of fun and it also improved my riding ability.

I left for the rally Wednesday night after I got off work but I didn't make it far. I think I was about 60 miles out my carburetor got clogged and I was reduced to speeds no more than 50mph. After I had decided it was the carb and not the delivery system, I decided to head back home.
ane7e8ej.jpg
I disassemble the bike and found that.
y2u7uhyq.jpg
by the time I got the bike back together and pissed off the neighbors with the test ride it was 1:30am so I took a 3hr nap before I headed back out. Once I got back on the road it was all gravy from there. The 10.5 hour ride took me 13 after traffic and having to stop because I was too cold(I still don't have proper winter gear).
rurugujy.jpg
a8ype6u3.jpg
I did the desert challenge while I was there and skipped the road challenge seeing that I pretty much had ridden twice the distance to get there.

I have to say I really loved the desert challenge. I found the sand the most challenging out of the event, even though we went through black gap. I'm not entirely sure it was luck or that I have become a better rider but didn't drop the bike once. We(the group I was riding with) finished the challenge in just under 10 hours.
yjuse3e4.jpg
etumaqus.jpg
6yne9e2u.jpg
2e6y4yda.jpg

The only damage that the bike took was a broken speedometer cable.
byjy5usa.jpg
The bracket that kinda holds it in place came loose and got tangled in the spokes.

Total miles in for the weekend: 1759.3
So says the GPS

I'll post more pictures later.

thanks for posting this trip report. Glad you had a successful safe trip, you are a stud for making the long haul:clap:

Finally got my new chain and sprockets in. The last ones just about had it. uploadfromtaptalk1395373213327.jpg the rear doesn't look too bad.... But the front definitely had to go. uploadfromtaptalk1395373320600.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395373344895.jpg

It's nice to have the bike running again.

oh man that is a worn out front spocket!!!
What was up with the carburetor? Was it internaly faling apart?
What is that screw supposed to hold in place?

Wow! that is not normal wear for less than 10,000 miles. I suggest you review and verify your chain tensioning over on the KLR thread. You dont want your new chain/sprocket set to wear out prematurely also.

_

What was up with the carburetor? Was it internaly faling apart?
What is that screw supposed to hold in place?

That screw is part of the main jet(I guess that how you describe it). That trash is a piece of brass that probably got in there when i exchanged the stock needle for the klx needle.

Wow! that is not normal wear for less than 10,000 miles. I suggest you review and verify your chain tensioning over on the KLR thread. You dont want your new chain/sprocket set to wear out prematurely also.

_

When I was at uncle's I took a little more damage than I have posted(forgot to post). Some of the links on my chain got damaged along with a few teeth on the front sprocket. I can't say if these thing occurred at the same time or not, but it was definitely within 60 miles. Of course the only tool and spare parts that I don't carry on the bike, just happens to be the ones that I needed. I did the best that I could with what I had but I couldn't truly fix the problem.

It seemed like the chain had a few links that where more stretched than others. So I really couldn't tighten the it and take up the slack without making the chain too tight in other areas.

I'm not sure what caused this other than rocks or lacking in lubrication. Possibly a combination there of, during the desert run. I do know when I left home the chain was freshly cleaned/lubed and the tension was set properly. I noticed the biggest change roughly 3/4 of the way through Fridays ride. After a quick look I found the chain had become very slack but didn't think too much of it. We didn't have far to go so I let it be and finished the challenge. That night I looked and found the extent of the damage. Up until then the stock chain and sprockets had the amount of wear you would expect from a bike that had 11k or 12k miles.

From now on I'm going to make it a point to have the necessary tools to fix problems like this. Lesson learned.

So yeah. Now I know that a few bad links in the chain can make your sprockets look like this after 700 + miles. I did realized before I rode home that replacing the chain and sprockets was a definite must if they even lasted that the trip. Shy of asking for help, which I rarely do, it seemed to be the cheapest decision I could make.
Just so I don't sound completely stupid for riding that far. I had a alternative plan on getting back home if I was to break down.

EDIT: For my own record purposes, the chain and sprockets where replaced at mile: 12438

I have the new speedometer cable installed. uploadfromtaptalk1395776090899.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395776114491.jpgAs you can see the old one moved a little. uploadfromtaptalk1395776173691.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395776198932.jpgThat's the position it was supposed to be in. uploadfromtaptalk1395776277231.jpgand that position is what the damaged one ended up in.

Now all I have to do is set the odometer to what it's supposed to be.

I got off work early today so I visited the farm. I got in some hill climbing, and sand riding practice in. Over all it was a good day. uploadfromtaptalk1396234600895.jpgI always like this view.

uploadfromtaptalk1396235026347.jpguploadfromtaptalk1396235059591.jpgThat's a very fun Hill to ride up with a klr.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1396234735852.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396234735852.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 203
  • uploadfromtaptalk1396234745160.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396234745160.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 190
No I'm not going to be able to make that one. I have work that day and it doesn't look like I can get off.

After having some issues with the rear rack again I upgraded a few bolts. uploadfromtaptalk1396314840897.jpgyou really can't see anything that I did but I like posting pictures of the bike.

Nice scooter! And good ongoing RR.

I like the firing range. Have you gotten it set up yet? Looks like you could get some good distance from on top of that hill.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk 2

Nice scooter! And good ongoing RR.

I like the firing range. Have you gotten it set up yet? Looks like you could get some good distance from on top of that hill.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk 2

Yes and no. It's a work in progress.

Bear, you know there is a firing range going in on Old Sandflat Road.

Just east of Saline Creek bridge as you head up the hill on the right.
At least that was the guy's plan.

I know where that is. I've seen their sign but haven't stopped there to look around. I ride/drive by it all the time.

I probably won't go there much anyway. I like the idea of having my own private range. I'm sure you can see the benefits of that.

I'm hoping I can get 1000 yard range out at the tree farm. It's going to be close but I think I can manage. It's a work in progress through. I have been busy with lots of stuff lately and haven't had time to do any reloading anyway.

I know where that is. I've seen their sign but haven't stopped there to look around. I ride/drive by it all the time.

I probably won't go there much anyway. I like the idea of having my own private range. I'm sure you can see the benefits of that.

I'm hoping I can get 1000 yard range out at the tree farm. It's going to be close but I think I can manage. It's a work in progress through. I have been busy with lots of stuff lately and haven't had time to do any reloading anyway.

That farm is where I grew up as kid.
Use to be the 4C Ranch.

When the people that bought it defaulted on payments, I tried everything I could to get the farm back. It still had to go on the auction block.
And now that guy has just totally ruined it as far as I am concerned.

Lot of hogs in bottom pasture there. Thought about asking him if I could go hunt'em with a bow.

UPDATE

I've been busy lately with work side jobs and just haven't had lots of time to update this so here it goes.

MAINTENANCE
Cleaned air filter
Oil change after uncle's.
New chain and sprockets.
Cleaned out oil mesh catch thing.
Flipped front and rear tire.
Checked bearings, brake pads and disks.
Checked spokes and had to adjust a few.

KTM WORK
New tires.
nabuzyne.jpg

Light now work and about to go get it inspected.

RIDES

This last Saturday I went to hidden Valley adventure Park near marble falls. It was lots of fun and very challenging on the KLR. My brother was with me on his atv so we stayed on the atv trails. Nothing I couldn't handle though. I did get quite a few looks from everyone that was riding dirt bikes.

I've also been exploring around Tyler and Bullard lately. uploadfromtaptalk1397817397212.jpg I can't help but love this bike. uploadfromtaptalk1397817497878.jpg

I have a few more rides that I'm going on and will probably post up afterwards.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1397817397212.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1397817397212.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 318
  • uploadfromtaptalk1397817497878.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1397817497878.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 319
Back