• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Harley-Davidson Pan American

Looks like its out of Mad Max. I didn't like square headlight look even in the 80's and 90's. Do something like this bike you can buy now and maybe water cooled V-Twin
Moto Guzzi.jpg
One of the best dirt riders/racers I know rides this as his other bike (other is a KTM 450 Rally, the real deal we didn't get in the US). And treats it with about the same level of respect on & off road.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 1.14.35 PM.png

Totally agree. On the long term commitment, I'm tempted to give it a go anyway.

Always wanted a HD. Always said I'd buy one if they made a bike I'd like to ride.

I have 24 credits at eagle rider. I hope they get a couple of them and I will take it for a 2 week 2000 mile test ride before I buy.

I think they hit dealers in May.

I went to my local HD dealer to check a LiveWire and they were like, "a what?"

That is my concern. I hear some dealers are taking this serious, salespeople taking on line info meetings from factory to learn.

Time will tell

I guess I don't see why folks would buy an underpowered, sure to be heavy, potentially fragile, adventure bike (as we all expect it will be) with a pushrod valve train. The "Harley" needs to evolve. Honda 50's have overhead cams since the 1950's. Harley is going to build a "flagship" adventure bike with clearly a turd for a motor.

Why would you buy that when for the same money or much less you can get a proper V-Twin (KTM), paralell twins (Yamaha/Honda) or even Beemers. I think they are doomed because they clutch at the ancient mystical tech of the early 1900's. But, of course, I am not an adventure bike guy, so YMMV.

I would like to see them suceed, but I think they need to move on from the tractor motors to be successful.

I guess I don't see why folks would buy an underpowered, sure to be heavy, potentially fragile, adventure bike (as we all expect it will be) with a pushrod valve train. The "Harley" needs to evolve. Honda 50's have overhead cams since the 1950's. Harley is going to build a "flagship" adventure bike with clearly a turd for a motor.

Why would you buy that when for the same money or much less you can get a proper V-Twin (KTM), paralell twins (Yamaha/Honda) or even Beemers. I think they are doomed because they clutch at the ancient mystical tech of the early 1900's. But, of course, I am not an adventure bike guy, so YMMV.

I would like to see them suceed, but I think they need to move on from the tractor motors to be successful.
Have your read the specs on it? Comparable weight and HP to the BMW R1250GSA and KTM 1290 SA.

They apparently built a new engine for this from the ground up. It's not just a cruizer with an ADV body. Specs say DOHC, 150 HP, 94 Ft Lb.

Bunch of marketing in that write up and it's still push rod but it's also quite a bit more engine than before.

Now...it might not be reliable, and it may suck off road...but the specs are good enough to at least consider it as a real Adventure bike.

I'm not rushing to buy one...but I'd like to ride one.

Last edited:

Starbucks adventure riders. Pot holes, loose gravel, flooded intersections, etc. 😆

What makes you think it's a push rod design?
Hydraulic Lash Adjusters
The Revolution® Max 1250 engine features roller-finger valve actuation with hydraulic lash adjusters.
This design ensures that the valves and valve actuators (“fingers”) are in constant contact as engine heat changes.
The hydraulic lash adjusters make the valve train maintenance-free, saving the owner time and cost – there is no mechanical adjuster.
This design realizes a reduction in undesirable valve train noise, especially on cold starts. This design maintains consistent pressure on the valve stem, which facilitates more-aggressive camshaft profiles which can boost performance.

Variable Valve Timing (VVT)
The Revolution Max 1250 engine is equipped with computer-controlled Variable Valve Timing (VVT) on both the intake and exhaust camshafts.
Through computer control, VVT advances or retards exhaust and intake camshaft timing independently through a potential range of 40 degrees of crankshaft rotation.
VVT broadens the overall powerband and improves torque management and efficiency compared to the same engine with fixed valve timing. This allows the same engine to provide both low-end grunt for acceleration off the line as well as the thrill of high-RPM horsepower.
VVT may improve fuel efficiency and increase range from each tank of fuel.
The timing phaser is located between the cam drive sprocket and the camshaft, and uses a solenoid plunger to control ported hydraulics that change the cam timing.
When the engine is shut down, VVT sets intake cams to full retard and exhaust cams to full advance to reduce compression for easier starting.

Camshaft position pick-ups are located in the valve covers.

Pictures appear to have push rod journals.

Then again, with VVT and DOHC, I really don't kmow how or why they'd still do push rods.

Maybe they did it for looks for the HD faithful?

My Beemer sounds more like a tractor than any HD
*** rattles like crazy but I still love it
If the PA is as advertised it could be my next bike
Woodlands and Kingwood HD are owned by a friend of mine
I bet they treat you guys great
I ride a BMW and they treat me great
If you have any issues ask for Josh or Red

Right!??!? I don't know where or how folks think this is a pushrod motor but it isn't. Or at very least, I'd love for someone to explain how you have a DOHC motor that is also a pushrod motor. :scratch:

This thing has variable valve timing, and hydraulic lash adjustment so you don't need to adjust valves, and seems to be very much on par with pretty much every other ADV bike when it comes to power.

Right!??!? I don't know where or how folks think this is a pushrod motor but it isn't. Or at very least, I'd love for someone to explain how you have a DOHC motor that is also a pushrod motor. :scratch:

This thing has variable valve timing, and hydraulic lash adjustment so you don't need to adjust valves, and seems to be very much on par with pretty much every other ADV bike when it comes to power.
Agreed. I just saw what looked like pushrod journals in the picture and someone saif it was so I just carried on the error.

It really can't be pushrod (OHV) and DOHC at the same.

I think this is a legitimately modern and capable engine. We don't know about reliability yet, but there's no reason to think it won't be reliable amd high performing.

Adding the cutaway pic.

It's clearly DOHC with a dual timing chains. (One outlined in red)

Wonder what is the journal looking thing on the inside of the cylinders where pushrods normally would be? (Circled in yellow)
b3e8c44f6292b34d1b0196b260b1207e.jpg

Last edited:
Wonder what is the journal looking thing on the inside of the cylinders where pushrods normally would be? (Circled in yellow)
b3e8c44f6292b34d1b0196b260b1207e.jpg

My guess would be maybe a wiring pathway for the VVT, or a dedicated oil path for the valve train. Maybe?

This motor will not sound like a potato. It is serious. Article was interesting. Sure it will be expanded to other models.

“Through its history Harley-Davidson has embraced technological evolution..."

Have they though?

Would be nice if people recognize and appreciate the move in the right direction by HD. Some will appreciate this bike,.or at least the direction change HD has tried to make. Some will hold the past against them and will be unable to see any positives.

Personally, I understand bashing them when they cling to the old design and bad boy / elitist menatality. However, I really don't understand why motocyclist everywhere aren't rooting for them when they try and actually move forward and build a quality bike.

I don't know if this will save them. In fact, I am doubtful it will, but I am also hopeful.

At the end of the day....HD making it is a good thing for motorcycling.

This guys voice gets a little monotonous, but the info in this vid is thorough and the graphics are excellent. Stick with it at least until you see the 3D engine graphics. Good stuff.

Back