• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hi, My Name Is Squeaky...

Squeaky

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rebecca
Last Name
Reed
...and I'm addicted to track. :cool2:

Went down to Motorsport Ranch in Angleton (just south of Houston) for an all-female track day hosted by Buck Beasley and the Longhorn Motorcycle School.

The weather was great (a tad bit hot but it's Texas in June - what do you expect!) and the turnout was quality. The student to instructor ratio was 2:1 in most cases, 3:1 for some. Buck runs 30 minute sessions, so there was a lot of seat time and LOTS of private instruction!

The track photog hasn't had a chance to go through them yet I'm sure, but we've already got some pics from spectators rolling in! :rider:

158847656-M.jpg

I got so much more seat time than at previous track days, I actually had to make use of the gas can Frank convinced me to bring! :shrug:

158847609-M.jpg

As is the case, I left a little bit of the Strom behind. When I pulled the fuse for my headlights, I dropped it into the belly of the bike, never to be seen again. I'm almost certain it rattled out at some point during the day.

I also left some metal behind... some from my pegs and some from my center stand. I was hanging off the bike already each time it happened. At first I stiffened up the rear suspension to 1/2 turn from full, but I was still dragging hard parts. The peg (already sans feeler) was digging in hard enough to upset the bike and wobble me through already-tight turns.

I didn't know there was a track in Angleton!. Looks like fun.

Ooh, a sample pic from the track photog!
(note the peculiar fellow running the track on my blinker stalk)

samp18.JPG

Last edited:
Oh, and since I'm a geek, I set the GPS to log my spot on the track every five seconds for the last four sessions, and I came up with this:

158872811-L.jpg

It's cool to see the layout, but it's even cooler that I can go through it and figure out that my lap times averaged around 2:40 (slow, but safe!) and I can see what speeds I hit in what sections of the track. If I do it again, I'll set it for one second intervals to get a better idea of my lines through continuous laps.

Oh - and I had my rear tire replaced yesterday with a Michellin Anakee. I'd run Tourances until now, but Chuck raved about these and they're touted by Strom owners as being "sticker" streeet tires. They were great, with only minor upsets that were caused by the nut between the bars and the seat. I'm not sure what, if anything, I'll be giving up on fire roads but I'm sure I'll find out soon enough. I went from 15 miles on fresh tires with the nubs showing to ZERO chicken strip on the left and about 1/4 inch on the right. :rider: (yeah, all of the better turns at the track go left!)

Ooh, a sample pic from the track photog!
(note the peculiar fellow running the track on my blinker stalk)

samp18.JPG

:clap:

Looks like you had an awesome time! Are you already planning on a sportier bike for track days?

Looks like you had an awesome time! Are you already planning on a sportier bike for track days?

Nah. I got that question quite a few times today, but I started out riding on the track to better acquaint myself with my bike, learn to be a smoother rider, and learn to trust my bike and tires. I've just about gotten there so I think that I'll be cutting back a little (if I can, it's an addiction :shrug: ) since I've gotten to the point that instead of working on me and my bike, I've been working on race lines and the fastest way around the track. I need to focus on why I do this and stop doing it if it's no longer serving its purpose.

Yeah, I say that now... :doh:

Nah. I got that question quite a few times today, but I started out riding on the track to better acquaint myself with my bike, learn to be a smoother rider, and learn to trust my bike and tires. I've just about gotten there so I think that I'll be cutting back a little (if I can, it's an addiction :shrug: ) since I've gotten to the point that instead of working on me and my bike, I've been working on race lines and the fastest way around the track. I need to focus on why I do this and stop doing it if it's no longer serving its purpose.

Yeah, I say that now... :doh:

And you also got those spiffy leathers! You may be deviating from your original objective, but if you are enjoying track days so much then perhaps that's another part of the sport worth pusuing.

...and I'm addicted to track. :cool2:

Went down to Motorsport Ranch in Angleton (just south of Houston) for an all-female track day hosted by Buck Beasley and the Longhorn Motorcycle School.

The weather was great (a tad bit hot but it's Texas in June - what do you expect!) and the turnout was quality. The student to instructor ratio was 2:1 in most cases, 3:1 for some. Buck runs 30 minute sessions, so there was a lot of seat time and LOTS of private instruction!

The track photog hasn't had a chance to go through them yet I'm sure, but we've already got some pics from spectators rolling in! :rider:

158847656-M.jpg

I got so much more seat time than at previous track days, I actually had to make use of the gas can Frank convinced me to bring! :shrug:

158847609-M.jpg

As is the case, I left a little bit of the Strom behind. When I pulled the fuse for my headlights, I dropped it into the belly of the bike, never to be seen again. I'm almost certain it rattled out at some point during the day.

I also left some metal behind... some from my pegs and some from my center stand. I was hanging off the bike already each time it happened. At first I stiffened up the rear suspension to 1/2 turn from full, but I was still dragging hard parts. The peg (already sans feeler) was digging in hard enough to upset the bike and wobble me through already-tight turns.

:clap: This dosen't look like the same Squeaky & Wilbur I saw a couple weeks a go in AR. Why the blue tape on Wilbur. Is that your new riding gear.

This looks like mucho fun. Were there any Wings out there?:lol:
:sun:

Why the blue tape on Wilbur.

It is required by the track/host for safety reasons - all light lenses need to be covered/removed and lights disconnected (fuse pulled). Means less debris on the track if something happens and less distractions for the riders.

LOL I love your gps:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: and you do look very svelte in leathers...can't think of one reason you'd want to stop:rider: :rider: :rider: :rider:

You've come a long way from your humble (riding) beginnings, Miss Squeaky.:thumb:

Good job Squeaky.. was a fun day for all... was nice meeting you..

...can't think of one reason you'd want to stop

My wallet can! :argh:

I'm soooooo jealous...:drool:

I'm sorry you couldn't make this one, but Buck sounds like he enjoyed it so much (gee, he was surrounded by fast women all day - why wouldn't he! :lol2: ) So we'll likely do it again! I'll be sure to keep you updated.

Sure. Quit now. Go ahead, just walk away...

Hey, anything is possible. Kurt's had his current bike for more than six months! :eek:

This dosen't look like the same Squeaky & Wilbur I saw a couple weeks a go in AR.

Because out in the "real world" there are blind corners, dogs, deer, crazy cagers, and CLIFFS to contend with! I'm much better when I don't have to deal with the unknown. This was the first time I'd ridden MSRH, and the first few laps were slow and nervous.

What I'm saying is... if I ride in Arkansas more I'll be more comfortable there so I'd get better at it! When are we going again? :rider:

This looks like mucho fun. Were there any Wings out there?:lol:

Not for this one (I was the only non-SS other than a Duc ST3) but I've seen plenty of non-typical bikes take to the track. You'd be amazed what you could learn out there - and have fun in the process!

Hey, anything is possible. Kurt's had his current bike for more than six months! :eek: !

I told ya... I'm keeping it. :rider: No adding to your portfolio on my bikes for a while. :mrgreen: You can ride the GS again though.

Squeaker, that pic is awesome!!! I'm glad you had a great time. I could still see you on a track only SV650. OOOOORRRRRRR, a track only WR450 motard!!!!

Squeaker, that pic is awesome!!! I'm glad you had a great time. I could still see you on a track only SV650. OOOOORRRRRRR, a track only WR450 motard!!!!

Before they paired us off with instructors, I asked if any had motard experience since I assumed it would more easily relate to the Strom. As it turns out, I ride it more like a sport bike than a motard anyway. :ponder:

The only issue we had was that when Alonzo (Dr Gonzo) was showing me better positioning, he pulled me off to the left side and told me that's where my upper body needed to be - and then I told him I couldn't reach the throttle! :shrug:

He said I was getting over on my lower body nicely but that I was dropping my inside shoulder. (This is something I learned to do on the street to relax on tight intersection turns) In order to "open up" my shoulders the way he wanted, I'd need a sport bike. I still tried to work on opening up my shoulders to the turns as far as I could. In that last pic I can see my shoulder dropping in.

Squeaky - You never fail to amaze me. WAY TO GO GIRL! :thumb:

totally cool!
looks like the most fun yu can legally have
I hope to get in a track day or two next year
this year I'm working on collecting nessissary gear [pants boots etc...]

Back