• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda Trail 125/ CT125

Wow, super nice rig! Just how much does that 125 weigh?! :lol2:

Honda just announced the 2023 Trail 125:

We get the green one! :thumb:

2023-trail125-gallery-01-2400xauto.jpg

I’d love to have one but our greedy local dealer would tack another $1700 to the $4300 MSRP. :argh:

So much for keeping the same engine across the Honda 125 lineup then... The Grom got a 5 speed from what I understand.

So much for keeping the same engine across the Honda 125 lineup then... The Grom got a 5 speed from what I understand.
My Super Cub has the new engine from the 2022 GROM. I think 4 gears work well with that engine. I like the 4 speed semi auto better than the 5 speed manual. I wish Honda had put that 4 speed semi auto in the GROM. The Dax has it. I think it would be the best mini moto if Honda brought it.

I'd be interested in a trail if it was a 5 speed manual with whatever display was needed to get double or so the horsepower (16-20). That'd make it similar to my mom's Burgman which does a nice job of everything up to 75 indicated (70 actual). I liked the bike when I sat on it.

Last edited:
I don't think it needs a 5th gear, the motor really isn't there to justify it. I do wish that it had another 3-5 horsepower though. I have no plans to get rid of mine, I bought it to use as a run-about here in town and when on vacation and for those uses it works fine. I will say that I am not in love with it so the possibility of me selling it at some point isn't fully eliminated.

I'd be interested in a trail if it was a 5 speed manual with whatever display was needed to get double or so the horsepower (16-20). That'd make it similar to my mom's Burgman which does a nice job of everything up to 75 indicated (70 actual). I liked the bike when I sat on it.

I had asked a while back if you can just swap trannies and the mechanic had told me no at the time but you could always swap engines between a GROM and a Trail. That would make for an expensive bike but it's doable.

Now, this is something we should also do.
Funny how beers are usually the catalyst for many a great idea.

That's fantastic! How'd she do? What were the weak points?
It was amazing, bike did great! The obvious one was power. And limited suspension travel. I am 6'2" 250+! There were times where I had the power but couldn't maintain speed since I didn't have the suspension for the obstacle. It definitely made it challenging, but very fun at the same time. She handled very well. I road the piss out of it! Also did Mineral Creek Road. That was the most technical.

It was amazing, bike did great! The obvious one was power. And limited suspension travel. I am 6'2" 250+! There were times where I had the power but couldn't maintain speed since I didn't have the suspension for the obstacle. It definitely made it challenging, but very fun at the same time. She handled very well. I road the piss out of it! Also did Mineral Creek Road. That was the most technical.

Impressive that you took it up Mineral Creek. We were just there a few weeks back and did Mineral on our way to Engineer from Ouray, that was my first time on Mineral in a 4WD, I've always been on two wheels out there in the past. So were you able to actually ride the Trail up the entire trail or did you have to walk it up some of the obstacles? I only ask due to it's lack of clearance, suspension and power.

Last edited:
Impressive that you took it up Mineral Creek. We were just there a few weeks back and did Mineral on our way to Engineer from Ouray, that was my first time on Mineral in a 4WD, I've always been on two wheels out there in the past. So were you able to actually ride the Trail up the entire trail or did you have to walk it up some of the obstacles? I only ask due to it's lack of clearance, suspension and power.
There were a couple spots on Mineral that I had to straddle walk up a few ledges. But I stayed on it the whole time. I did have to walk the bike up a few spots on other passes. Didn't have power to carry me. So I walked next to it!! Only about a hundred yards in a few spots.

When riding the 125 you have to be extremely selective on your line. It's extremely light and maneuverable, so it's easy to do, but you are constantly steering. With something like a Tenere or AT, you just point and gas it and let the suspension work!

When riding the 125 you have to be extremely selective on your line. It's extremely light and maneuverable, so it's easy to do, but you are constantly steering. With something like a Tenere or AT, you just point and gas it and let the suspension work!

Oh yea, I am used to being on an enduro or adv bike but I am intrigued by your use of it in those particular places.

I have been consistently downsizing since I started my adv career with an AT. Down to a 650L, and now a 300L Rally, and of course the CT. Love the Rally, after much needed upgrades. I think its the perfect BDR bike. I rode the CT on the BDR because, well, why not! it was a blast. But far from prefect. I really wish they put the high low range on it. A 250+lb rider with camping gear climbing 14,000'+ mountains is beyond extreme for this machine. I had to gear is so low to make the climbs, but top speed was down to 40mph. For off pavement it was great. But the couple paved sections was too slow, like impeding traffic slow. Not that it would have enough power to carry me much faster even with normal gearing at Colorado altitudes. I think the fun in it was knowing how crazy it was! and for the most part did surprisingly well. However, I will be getting a 143cc kit, cam and EFIE. I believe with that it will be good to it haul me and my gear, maintain 50-55mph for most roads, and have enough power to climb smaller mountains! I plan to do other BDRs with it.

I have been consistently downsizing since I started my adv career with an AT. Down to a 650L, and now a 300L Rally, and of course the CT. Love the Rally, after much needed upgrades. I think its the perfect BDR bike. I rode the CT on the BDR because, well, why not! it was a blast. But far from prefect. I really wish they put the high low range on it. A 250+lb rider with camping gear climbing 14,000'+ mountains is beyond extreme for this machine. I had to gear is so low to make the climbs, but top speed was down to 40mph. For off pavement it was great. But the couple paved sections was too slow, like impeding traffic slow. Not that it would have enough power to carry me much faster even with normal gearing at Colorado altitudes. I think the fun in it was knowing how crazy it was! and for the most part did surprisingly well. However, I will be getting a 143cc kit, cam and EFIE. I believe with that it will be good to it haul me and my gear, maintain 50-55mph for most roads, and have enough power to climb smaller mountains! I plan to do other BDRs with it.

That's awesome! I've followed RTW Paul for years and he rode his all over the country and now I am following Pilot Parker, who did the same alongside of RTW Paul, take his all over the Arctic, NW Territories, Alaska and beyond riding two-up with his GF no less. I am trying to convince a buddy of mine to do a two day trip with me on back roads over 250+ miles, seems rather easy after seeing what others are doing with theirs but he's not showing much interest sadly.

I too started out with an AT then I dropped to an 890 and now I am trying to do the same stuff with my 500. Smaller is definitely better if you can make it work for the type of riding you want to do but there are different tools for every job. I liked my 890 a lot but I like a GSA more for road riding and I like a 500 a lot more for off-road riding so it went on down the road. I am still considering picking up a GSA 1250 or possibly the new 1300 in the next few years for long distance adventures but I am in no hurry to do so. For now the 500 will take me on my BDR's and dual sport rides with ease.

Here's the link to Alaska, 2 Up, on that thing!?

Back