• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Interesting

Don't believe this for a minute!
2E922561-4B42-4BB6-9C2A-95842B13E48F.jpeg

I'd just like to have a job doing something that's enjoyable or at least fulfilling.

A month or so ago I was speaking with a fellow in his late 20's who has never kept a job for 9 months. He complained that he couldn't find a fun job and had never gotten a raise and only was able to get an entry level position. He stated that I must be a lucky guy cuz I had a career that spanned 45 years after my military service. He said it must have been a fun/great job to stay that long. I explained that out of the 35 years I spent with my last job there was about 10 years that were crap, I didn't want to do my job tomorrow. There were about 10 years that were GREAT!!. Then there was 15 years of just ok, not OK, but ok. These three segments were not consecutive, meaning it started out crap and then transitioned into ok and then GREAT. It was a combination of all of them over the years. When I was feeling crappy or just ok I would remember the GREAT times. It made it all worthwhile. As far as fulfilling, when I was able to help one of my clients or co-workers better themselves it was a fulfilling experience that I still remember. I am blessed that I still receive calls from people I have helped and I try to call and text those that have helped me over the years.

When I explained my life to this fellow, he was flabbergasted. He was under the impression that there was jobs that were always fun and games with no frustration.

A lot of life is the attitude of the fellow that looks at you in the mirror in the morning.

I've always enjoyed the jobs I've done, mostly because I'm fairly happy internally.

For 20 years I was basically a laborer, installing cable or satellite TV. 75% of the time I was in the weather, rain or shine. It was hard, grueling work. There were many aspects to that job that I didn't like, but I focused on the fact that I was able to provide for my family, met new people every day, and had a high level of autonomy. I remember the good times and the tens of thousands of faces I met along the way. I've always been able to say that I love what I do, no matter what is was, but I've also been aware that my emotions are my choice.

My youngest son, now 22, came home one day from school when he was about 14 and was very upset with me. He told me that he was under the impression that when you grew up everything came together and once you found a job you didn't have problems anymore. There was a big discussion in one of his class about how life was hard and only got harder as more responsibility was required. That was when I explained the reality of emotional choice. It took him a while to embrace the idea, but he's happy now even when the days are hard.

"Emotional choice" is something I've never understood or experienced. I can tell myself I'm happy all day long, but that doesn't change how I feel. If there's some trick to it I'm missing, please fill me in. Attitude towards a situation I understand and have figured out. In it's not always easy, but most important things aren't. I'm just missing out the emotional part of it apparently.

Let me try...

You know when you are really angry at someone and it just eats at you, it tears you up inside? The only person it eats is you. They may know how you feel but they are in their own head, not yours. They won't ever internalize your feelings. It's just not how it works

Emotional choice does not mean that negative feelings are absent, it means that you choose to look past them to the positive, or even just to the neutral. I want to be happy and to not have resentment, so that's my choice. I'm known to take lots of deep breaths.

Letting go of anger, fear or frustration is hard to learn, as it may feel like you are letting go of the only control you have in an uncontrollable situation. The reality is that your conscious thoughts are the only things you are fully in control of.

It takes practice, but it's worth it.

Maybe I've got something special, but I don't think so.

Here's the photoshopped video of the cliff stunt. I'll still pass.

Last edited:
Well, obviously by the cameraman's position, the consequences are only about a 6 foot drop. I've done worse than that at Red River Trails in north Texas.:ponder:

6891BEB4-215F-459A-A969-96BBA2709334.jpeg

Glad to not be a "real" man anymore! Love me some estart.

Well, obviously by the cameraman's position, the consequences are only about a 6 foot drop. I've done worse than that at Red River Trails in north Texas.:ponder:
Well, obviously the video being shared is for entertainment purposes. Rather it's 6 feet or 12 feet, hard to tell from a camera, obviously it's not Black Bear Pass. But it's way further than I want to free fall, plus the video doesn't show how or if there's a way out! Laterzzz

Back