• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Into the Dust - riding the New Mexico BDR

September and October are also good times to do the NMBDR
A couple of guys from Pennsylvania are gonna do the COBDR next month, they were asking me if I knew a place to park their trailer in central CO and they told me they were also going to Moab......I replied.....MOAB IN JULY? Are you guys really that cold natured? It nasty hot there in July. HA! Going at the right time is key to having a great trip.

Im considering NMbdr for a sept 9 start date. Last year i did the ID bdr on my Super Tenere and am wondering if the NM ride is big bike friendly. My only real nemesis on the super tenere has been deep sand because of the Tires i run. How much of that on the rout.

Last edited:
Im considering NMbdr for a sept 9 start date. Last year i did the ID bdr on my Super Tenere and am wondering if the NM ride is doable an the big bike.
we had a KTM 1090, a Super T and a BMW F800 on our ride of the NMBDR. They all did fine. They went down in the sand a few times and had to do 1 or 2 easy go arounds but for the most part they did great. I really guess it all depends on the rider. the Super T is capable. will you have someone with you? helps to have assistants when picking up the bike! LOL

we had a KTM 1090, a Super T and a BMW F800 on our ride of the NMBDR. They all did fine. They went down in the sand a few times and had to do 1 or 2 easy go arounds but for the most part they did great. I really guess it all depends on the rider. the Super T is capable. will you have someone with you? helps to have assistants when picking up the bike! LOL
Yes a ktm 790 and a T700 so i will be the heavy beast particularly because of all the camping gear. I have new Trail max Missions on the bike and deep sand is my nemesis.
Short sections are not a problem but i dont like 1/4 -1/2mile rides in the deep stuff.

Im considering NMbdr for a sept 9 start date. Last year i did the ID bdr on my Super Tenere and am wondering if the NM ride is big bike friendly. My only real nemesis on the super tenere has been deep sand because of the Tires i run.

Yes a ktm 790 and a T700 so i will be the heavy beast particularly because of all the camping gear. I have new Trail max Missions on the bike and deep sand is my nemesis.
Short sections are not a problem but i dont like 1/4 -1/2mile rides in the deep stuff.
if i remember correctly the sand sections were not long. you just have to be careful as they sneak up on you and them wham.....you in the soft stuff.....

So I did the NMBDR to Reserve where a wheel malfunction ended my ride. I was on an F700GS on Mission Trailmax and I don’t remember any sand worth mentioning. Is it after Reserve? It was there, but after riding Arizona, there was none to be concerned with.

There is some along the missile range road, and some between Grants and Cuba. But like Dan stated above, there are just a few spots that just seem to appear with no warning. Just make sure you can pick up your bike, or, ride with a group.

There is some along the missile range road, and some between Grants and Cuba. But like Dan stated above, there are just a few spots that just seem to appear with no warning. Just make sure you can pick up your bike, or, ride with a group.
I have picked it up many times on my own but it does get difficult if its laying down hill with camping gear. Ill be riding with two other riders.

So I did the NMBDR to Reserve where a wheel malfunction ended my ride. I was on an F700GS on Mission Trailmax and I don’t remember any sand worth mentioning. Is it after Reserve? It was there, but after riding Arizona, there was none to be concerned with.
Pretty sure its after. Look at min 5.10 in this video and you will see one of the sections where the 1090 is down in the sand.

Back