• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

JB weld to fix gas tank leak?

I have seen tank sealer at O'rielly's as well as the good stuff for converting the rust to oxide.

Update, thanks to Leon's advice, I called I think the only place I did not check yesterday (O'Rileys Auto Parts), and sure enough that have a fuel tank sealer. It's call "Red Kote". It's not like the other epoxy based liners. It is in just one can and you just pour it in the tank without mixing any kind of hardness. The gut told me this stuff was better because it remained fkexible. Did he tell me it was better because that was the only brand they carry?

Anyway, the instructions said to mix dishwashering detergent in the tank with hot water. So of course, I proceeded to put the tank in the kitchen sink and fill her up. The kitchen smells like gas and our sink now has black marks. Guess who is in trouble?

Also this stuff is very expensive! When I announced was going to go to Waco to get thus stuff, my wife decided to tag along so I could take her to lunch. After she dropped me off at O'Riliys, she went to Kohls

The cost if this stuff was
Red Kote: $22.00
Taking wife to lunch: 28.00
New blouse. 23.00
-------

See, this stuff is expensive.

Last edited:
Not seeing Bob burst into flames: priceless

:thumb:

I am surprised a radiator shop would touch it. I wan into issues with getting someone to cut on my vulcans tank to increase capacity. No one wanted to touch it because of the left over fuel vapor. I finally gave up. I didn't want to take it to a proper bike shop and pay 300-500 for the mod.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I've had them welded before. Just fill it with water. 10 bucks and I smoothed it myself.

Back