• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

June 2010 Hill Country Dual Sport Ride

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
thanks to versys167 for organizing this ride.

I was only able to ride for a few hours with the group and then had to head home early due to work. Here's a few of the shots I took.

Primo in fine spirits and ready to ride.
914179322_XBbP6-XL.jpg

Wayland was packing plenty of water to stave off dehydration in the 90+ degree Texas heat.
914178976_CgsEt-XL.jpg

Rick's World's Best Looking KLR is in the process of being replaced by the MadMax black Yamaha WR250R seen here.
914182423_vCdV8-XL.jpg

Obligatory shot of the Italian Supermodel
914184306_rtjmk-XL.jpg

It was darn near a KLR convention
914185377_acpHj-XL.jpg

There was lots of visiting and catching up going on in the Wal-Mark parking lot pre ride.
914185939_xKu9B-XL.jpg

The first test of the day was the always algae covered and always treacherous crossing on Sandy Creek. The sacrifice of the day was Rick and his MadMax WR.
914186207_H2hbh-XL.jpg

914186455_RkaTY-XL.jpg

Unfortunately, Rick injured his hamstring during the fall.

He's tried to walk it off, but with no success.
914187098_G8mL6-XL.jpg

914187806_p4hGS-XL.jpg

Post fall analysis and discussion.
914189108_hqpsW-XL.jpg

more tomorrow.

Last edited:
Re: Hill Country dual sport ride

Made it home with out any dirt samples and even had time to wash the old Beemer up. Thanks Calvin for leading the way maybe next time it will be a little cooler.

Wow! I really like the look of that WR250R. Very nice. No offense to the super model intended.

Would like to see a list of the mods that have been done. I been thinking (dreaming) about a WR for a while now.

Wow! I really like the look of that WR250R. Very nice. No offense to the super model intended.

I spoke with her and she says she isn't offended by your comment. She did point out, however, that the WR seems inclined to flopping down and taking naps mid-ride, so you might want to include that in your calculations. :lol2:

I came back with four broken bones in my foot. :clap: But I can definitely say that the first 100 miles were great fun. I appreciate all the support and enjoyed meeting all of you. When my foot heals and my radiator is fixed, maybe I can try it again! :rider:

I came back with four broken bones in my foot. :clap: But I can definitely say that the first 100 miles were great fun. I appreciate all the support and enjoyed meeting all of you. When my foot heals and my radiator is fixed, maybe I can try it again! :rider:

Ouch! u didn't seem to be hurtn'

Great ride folks! Most enjoyable. :thumb: Thanks to Versys167 for calling this meeting and to Calvin for showing me that a motorcycle can go around sharp gravel corners much, much, much faster than I believed physically possible. :eek2:

I heard someone say they counted 28 bikes that morning but then a few others joined in along the way. I don't know what the count was but after the first few miles my total focus and devotion shifted to simply surviving to see another sunrise. We broke up into two or three groups to start things off. I joined up with the second group since they all looked like easy-going mild mannered chaps who probably like stopping to take chummy group pictures and enjoy nature. WRONG, NO, NOT!!! :trust: This group harbors a shared death wish and is delighted to take gullible uninitiated noobs like me with them to the depths of the abyss...as fast as a hopped up 650cc engine can get us there! :twisted: Here's a picture of the group during one of their many breaks while waiting for me to catch up.

group1.jpg

Along the way, we passed parts of this planet that regular folks will probably never see. I'd post up a lot more pictures but, as you may recall, I was desperately involved with just trying to live to tell this story. Reaching for the camera at 75 mph on limestone reduces the chances of succeeding a bunch. :nono:

shack.jpg

River crossings were more fun to watch than a busy boat ramp on a Sunday afternoon. Most were nice little creeks that meander through the Hill Country and pose no great challenge. Others, you see, were specially designed by nature to eat man and machine in one quick unmerciful gulp. The James river for example. By shear luck I avoided the pause that refreshes...this time. Others took the chance for a quick dip. Some landed hard. This Honda decided to cool off for a bit. A team of experts assisted with the post dip analysis and marveled at the awesome battery in that rig. :eek:

xl.jpg

After a great deal of deliberation and discussion...push the dang thang! If it starts, great! If not, push it off into the river. :nana:

push.jpg

Much jubilation by the surviving souls. :chug:

james.jpg

Some folks fell out along the way. Lots of folks took some turns a bit too wide and went im promptu exploring. Others loosened up some fences. Only one superman event reported with harsh results. Many bike naps along the trail. This ride had something for everyone...water, algae, deeeep sand, big honkin rocks sticking up in the road, loose gravel, looser livestock, livestock with loose bowels, the list goes on... :flip:

After having a chance to reflect on the days events, I feel pretty sure the flavor of limestone dust from James River road is much tastier than that of the granite dust along county road 302. Friends, I have dust in places that dust has never ever been before. :huh2: It'll take three good showers and some vigorous scrubbing to break through the first couple layers. I need a weird shaped brush just to reach some of these places...and a brush doesn't really fit there, either. At our last afternoon stop, I tried to take a swig from the camelback and had to spit out a handful of mud and partially digested burmuda grass before making any progress with hydration.

In short, I'm truly grateful for the chance to share this little narrative with you. It means that I survived despite the best efforts of others to see that I didn't. I will NEVER EVER ( as in no freakin way ) do that again. :giveup:

Hey, isn't there a ride happening in east Texas sometime in July? :rider:

Thanks Versys167 for coordinating this GREAT adventure! I was feeling spiritual after being baptised by immersion in the River James. Had a great time and met some great people! Thanks again! When's the next ride??!!

Tony

WOW what a great ride!! Many thanks for all the help during this ride. Calvin thanks again for keeping us going in the right direction and Richard thanks for the pre ride tips. Thanks to all for the pictures and videos. I believe we started out with 28 riders with 19 of them making the James river crossing.I hope all enjoyed the route even though we cut it a bit short looks like we went about 200 miles. Will definitely be planning another ride:rider:Thanks again to all the riders who made this ride what it was.

WOW what a great ride!! Many thanks for all the help during this ride. Calvin thanks again for keeping us going in the right direction and Richard thanks for the pre ride tips. Thanks to all for the pictures and videos. I believe we started out with 28 riders with 19 of them making the James river crossing.I hope all enjoyed the route even though we cut it a bit short looks like we went about 200 miles. Will definitely be planning another ride:rider:Thanks again to all the riders who made this ride what it was.

As my first time on a dual sport ride, I had the best time ever. Thanks to Versys 167 even though I never met because I was late coming to Wal-Mart and thanks to Rick M and his group for letting me tag along, hope your leg feels better. Thank you all. Now I am looking for a 250cc that can do motocross and dual sport with a lic plate.

Attachments

• DSCF0512.JPG
    DSCF0512.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCF0505.JPG
    DSCF0505.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCF0504.JPG
    DSCF0504.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCF0513.JPG
    DSCF0513.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

Pushing the Biggon on thru she was already nice and clean didnt want to take a chance on giving her a bath.

25.jpg

Thinking of getting a sticker made "I survived the James river crossing" anyone interested just give me a pm

Back