• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

June 2010 Hill Country Dual Sport Ride

Re: Hill Country dual sport ride

Pushing the Biggon on thru she was already nice and clean didnt want to take a chance on giving her a bath.

25.jpg

Is that Endoman scared of the water walking away? :-P

Great Ride, Great People and all around fun !

Hill Country is just a good area !!

Hope every one made it home OK :sun:

Excellent pics. I added one of the videos to the Google Map of dirt roads within 100 miles or so of Austin.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...874,0.528374&z=12&iwloc=00047a2f1485630b3b6e6

If anyone has pics of dirt roads that are not listed on this map and want to add them, I'd be happy to add you to the edit privileges. Just send me a PM.

There is a thread on this project listed in my signature and I also have kept a tutorial here on how to edit the Google Map.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11747286&postcount=1

November sounds like a good time.Really enjoyed meeting new people. the caliber of riders really made this a great ride:rider:Hopefully the next ride will go just as well and even attract a few more riders.:clap:

We have some awesome weather in Oct & Nov! Could be cool enough to make slipping in the James River not as attractive! Hopefully I can make it with 2 weeks in South America and 1 in Vegas in that time frame.

Awesome time! :clap:

The trip started out on the paved roads with my 20-yr old Suzuki grunting to reach 68 mph. I was hitting 69 on the downhills. :doh: Once we hit the dirt roads, I was more in my element. The water crossings were fun, especially the gravelly ones where you could charge right through.

I was the designated problem rider for this trip, it seemed (I hate being that guy). Yeah, my bike was slow on the highway, I rode 35 miles of the trip on a front tire that had zero air in it. That was exciting. I ran out of gas at 85 miles (but I was carrying 1.25 extra gallons so I caught back up). And there was the really weird episode where I was riding in formation at 40 mph and the engine cut off cold, like the ignition failed. I shifted down through the gears waiting for it to light up but it was DOA. When a couple guys asked what happened, I was so sure the engine had an ignition failure, I was about to tell them to send a truck back for me. But I figured I had to make a show of kicking it (no electric start) and it fired back up on the first kick :eek2: WTH??

The St James river crossing was fun, and super-slick. That's me in this video, . The bike skated 90 degrees starboard (we were in the water, all right?) and I was doing ok but tried to turn too quickly to get back on track and the front end went--->whoops! :mrgreen: I was really thinking it would be neat to explore other crossing spots other than the concrete/limestone slab.

One thing that I want to say to any future riders of this tour: bring goggles!! Seriously, the dust of 20 motorcycles in front of you pounding the crap out of these dirt roads will raise a huge amount of dust.

I enjoyed meeting all you guys. You''re a great bunch of people. A million apologies if not all the names stuck, there were around 30 people or so to get to know.

Thanks, Versys, for getting this ride going, it was great, for showing us how to save it in the St James! and for pushing me to get the tube changed out (I was reluctant to try this myself, because in my garage, I pinch the tube four out of five times:( ). Big shout out to RG, my group leader, Rick; to DR650 Jimmy for changing my tube, twice! and the other guys who helped. To Tony for providing said tube, and to the other rider who supplied the practice tube. Can someone remind me who I owe that $120 roadside tube supply fee to?

If you were on this ride, PM your name my way and the bike you were riding, I will put together a photo roster. That will help a lot when we get together for the next ride.

Attachments

• Photo0846.jpg
    Photo0846.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 186
  • Photo0847.jpg
    Photo0847.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 196
  • Photo0848.jpg
    Photo0848.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 186

Ok, correct me where I have an ommission, or error:

Rick “RICK M” - Yamaha WR250
Kevin “versys167” - Suzuki DR650
Jimmy - Suzuki DR650
“Will Rich” - Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
Marc “wralyn” - 2006 Kawasaki KLR650
Mike “webnel” - Honda XR650L w/the white tank
Joe “ Dirtryder” - white BMW airhead
Ali “iqbalinc” - 2005 BMW F650GS
Clark - Suzuki DR 650
John “Endoman" - Yahama WR450.
Tony “fastony” -Kawasaki KLR650
RG -- '07 Kawasaki KLR 650
Calvin “Multisurface Rider” - '92 Kawasaki KLR 650
Jeffrey “Sproket” - solid black ktm 690e
“Scorch” - '90 Suzuki DR250
Arnold "Big A" orange and black KTM 690
Scott "Stingray" KTM 450 exc
Jarrett "Moto Rod" BMW 650
James "KLR1969" Kawasaki KLR 650

Last edited:

Ok, correct me where I have an ommission, or error:

“RICK M” - Yamaha WR250
“versys167” - Suzuki DR650
Jimmy - Suzuki DR650
“Will Rich” - Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
Marc “wralyn” - 2006 Kawasaki KLR650
Mike “webnel” - Honda XR650L w/the white tank
Joe “ Dirtryder” - white BMW airhead
Ali “iqbalinc” - 2005 BMW F650GS
Clark - Suzuki DR 650
John “Endoman - Yahama WR450.
Tony “fastony” -Kawasaki KLR650
RG --
Calvin “Multisurface Rider” - Suzuki DRZ400E
Jeffrey “Sproket” -
“Scorch” - Suzuki DR250

Jeffrey Sprocket solid black ktm 690 e in our group
Arnold Big A orange and black ktm 690 in our group
Scott Stingray ktm 450 exc in our group
Jarrett Moto Rod bmw 650 in our group

This was the best ride in along time, looking forward for to the next!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0407.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0406.jpg
    IMG_0406.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 207

Some more pics, thanks again to versy's 167(Kevin) had a blast!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0409.jpg
    IMG_0409.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 196

The only vintage bike on the ride deserves a posted photo I think.
I got this off of Richard's SmugMug, whose photos were really outstanding. WOW.
DIRTYRIDER.jpg

Thanks to all of y'all for posting photos and videos for those of us that couldn't make it.
EXCELLENT WORK !
-Chadley

Last edited:

Not yet, maybe some day. I don't know about all the border fighting on drugs. Looking for the next ride though, hopefully the hill country again!!!!

List updated.

I posted a thank you card to the Wal-Mart folks this afternoon, for letting us park in their lot.

Back