• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 300EXC Street Legal Project

Reaction score
Those who were following along in the Enduros thread will know that I recently got a smoking :rofl: deal on a KTM 300 EXC. Since, aside from racing it, I'd like to take it to places like BBSP I'm going to attempt to get this thing plated on a budget (no Baja kits). Since I don't have a title either, this thread will cover both the trails :rofl: and tribulations of the technical and the joyous and ever helpful Texas DMV.

Here's the guilty party as purchased.

IMG_20161219_195018-L.jpg

To make this street legal in Texas I'll need a dimmable headlight, tail light, rear brake light and horn. All pretty simple & this wiring diagram should suffice.

KTM%20EXC%20300%20Wiring-L.jpg

I'm doing this purely to satisfy the State so the stock 40W stator will be more than sufficient to light this candle so it's off to fleabay for some parts and a chance to keep some Chinese in gainful employment;

1) Offroad tail light & fender combo, I'm going LED here which gives the stator a fighting chance.

2) Voltage regulator & rectifier, the LED requires DC and the KTM regulator is AC. I did actually check this with a meter as there really isn't a visible difference between a standard regulator and one that includes a rectifier.

3) Rechargeable 12v battery pack. Not really needed but helps in smoothing out voltage spikes and troubleshooting without the engine running. I bought a Tamiya Ni-MH 1800mAH type which is super compact.

4) Banjo bolt hydraulic brake switch which mounts on the rear master cylinder.

5) Combo handlebar mounted switch with lights hi/lo, horn & kill. KTM actually has these available for Europe (& I believe Australian) market, copies a plenty available from the UK.

6) Horn. Pretty obvious, apply 12 volts and it goes beep.

7) Molex & Bullet connectors. Good to have the right bits to make a reliable wiring harness.

I already have heat shrink, cable braids, wire and other sundries I'll use. Total investment with shipping, around $85.

Last edited:
I'm keeping the stock headlight assembly & bulb as it already has the provision for a 3175 type bulb which I can wire as the running light & save the headlight bulb for the high beam. They are also available in an LED for around $5. If power drain becomes an issue I can also replace the BA20D front bulb with an LED if needed.

IMG_20161221_140009-L.jpg

IMG_20161221_140003-L.jpg

Last edited:
Some LED brake lights can work with AC.

Delete the Rectifier. And just recharge the battery at home once a year.

Last edited:
Some LED brake lights can work with AC.

Delete the Rectifier. And just recharge the battery at home once a year.

No LED will work directly with AC. Those bulbs have the rectifier built in or attached in line. Better to run the whole bike at DC which gives you the ability to use cheapo LEDs all around & run a GPS if needed.

The stock EXC taillight will support a brakelight also. Some had the wire already in the socket and others you had to add.

Edit : After further looking I don't see the taillight on the bike.

Last edited:
My horn was real easy to mount. Has a battery in it. I also don't think you need the handlebar light switch. I just have a toggle switch on mine. Bwdmax wired my bike. It seems like it only took him 5 minutes ???

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

$20.31
Mega Horn HORN MEGA HORN ...
excelcycle

The wiring is on the loom for the tail light and consulting the various wiring diagrams one originally existed on this bike. I'll use the Molex connectors I bought to reconnect that. If you've seen some of my other threads on electrical work I'm pretty much a mil-spec guy.

I should have put some prices in which would make some of these decisions pretty obvious;

Motocross/Off-Road rear fender with integrated LED tail/brake light - $12.99 shipped

KTM "style" handlebar switch - $28 shipped

Battery pack - $9 shipped

Horn - $2.75 shipped (unbelievable I know)

Last edited:
I look forward to see this as it progresses. The addition of the D/C will be nice so you can go LED and like you mentioned power your GPS or other accessories.

tus_16_led_tai_lig_bra_lig-1274930001.jpg

Rockymountainatv.com led tail/brake light, $29. This one has worked well on my KLX for the last couple of years.

Last edited:
s-l1600.jpg

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/262704230330?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]ebay[/ame] - $12.99

Those LED tail lights are not DOT spec. If anyone wants to hazzle you about it.

They're too dim in broad daylight, imo, for street use.
I would use a bigger quality DOT tail light.
Being visible on the road is not something I don't want to cheap out on

Last edited:
Those LED tail lights are not DOT spec. If anyone wants to hazzle you about it.

They're too dim in broad daylight, imo, for street use.
I would use a bigger quality DOT tail light.
Being visible on the road is not something I don't want to cheap out on

This is purely to pass the state's requirements, all I need is that piece of paper & I have a place... :trust:

The likelihood of this bike being ridden on the road is low, in traffic even lower & at night, never.

I bought an oem ktm brake light switch just about as cheap as the universal ones. I think I got it from rockymountainatv

This is purely to pass the state's requirements, all I need is that piece of paper & I have a place... :trust:

The likelihood of this bike being ridden on the road is low, in traffic even lower & at night, never.

State inspection might baulk at the lack of turn-lights and the non-DOT knobby tires.
Prepare for a fight.

Last edited:
State inspection might baulk at the turn-signal and non-DOT knobby tires.
Prepare for a fight.

No turn signals required in Texas. As for the tires, your average inspector has no idea that non-DOT tires even exist.

They make you brake within a certain distance and visually check the headlight goes bright & dim & a brake light comes on when applied. That's it.

Gotta love Texas.

And like I said...:trust:

I've been riding a plated 300 xcw for a few months. The only street use it gets is between pastures. It seems fast, but by street bike standards wide open it's a sitting duck on FM roads.

As far as inspection goes, I discussed it with my guy before I took it down there. He consulted the book and inspected it, no turn signals, no DOT tires and no license plate light. Hardest part was getting the total mileage from the instruments. Not sure he didn't just add a 0 to the total hours.

m

I've been riding a plated 300 xcw for a few months. The only street use it gets is between pastures. It seems fast, but by street bike standards wide open it's a sitting duck on FM roads.

As far as inspection goes, I discussed it with my guy before I took it down there. He consulted the book and inspected it, no turn signals, no DOT tires and no license plate light. Hardest part was getting the total mileage from the instruments. Not sure he didn't just add a 0 to the total hours.

m

My inspector was anal. He insist on the license plate light.
ALso wanted to see turn lights, but I fight him on the turn light. It got ugly and he had to sent for the manager. It in end it was a draw. I won the turn lights, and he won the license plate light.

Last edited:
Mine wanted brake lines that had the DOT markings, I decided to not fight and fitted a brake line from a Yamaha WR 426, it was the same length as my CRF450 line and had the DOT markings, he passed everything else, including the non DOT approved tyres, he also wanted that the brake light operated from both front and rear brakes (Texas rules state OR, but the examiner insisted it was AND), so an extra switch and 2 foot of wiring plus a new brake line and she was all legal, cost me an extra $150 but I didn't want the hassle of arguing with the guy and pissing him off in case he made a fuss about the lack of indicators, tyres, etc..

Last edited:
I really like having both the front and the rear brake activate the brake light. I almost always have my hand on the front brake at a stoplight but generally put both feet down.

Not to hijack the thread, but for those that don't know it is a requirement in Texas to place both feet on the ground at a stop. I know a rider that lives in Keane that was ticketed just recently by their police department for that infraction. The Keane PD seems to me to be little more than a revenue machine. /hijack

Phillip, I really like your electrical drawing, are you using Visio to do that? I'd like to find a cheap/free product for such things.

The guy I use believes that if you rode it in the brakes must work. But more to the point, if you discuss what you are trying to do with plating a dirt bike before the inspection there are no surprised on either side. The inspector knew what I was bringing him and I gave him a chance to turn me down before we were both committed to the inspection.
m

Phillip, I really like your electrical drawing, are you using Visio to do that? I'd like to find a cheap/free product for such things.

No longer have Visio since the seat license went stratospheric! I miss Omni-Graffle for the same reason. This was done for free in Google Draw (part of Google Docs).

Back