• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 300EXC Street Legal Project

Not to hijack the thread, but for those that don't know it is a requirement in Texas to place both feet on the ground at a stop. I know a rider that lives in Keane that was ticketed just recently by their police department for that infraction...

Don't think that is true. Probably ticketed for not stopping without any mention of his feet not down. What about trikes or Spyders?

_

I`m pretty sure I read where you must have both feet down when at a complete stop but I am having a hard time finding where I read it.

I like this new argument :clap: Maybe we can get on this and quit talking about turn signals being required :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Last edited:
With a question like that I`m guessing you haven't been able to ride lately and it`s affecting you negatively :shrug:
No just thinking ahead to my transition to an octogenerian. Lol

But seriously both of those vehicles fall under a motorcycle classification as well as a sidecar rig. I can't ever remember seeing those riders drop their feet at stops. Even seen riders without legs so physically impossible for them to do so.

_

Well I wouldn't doubt that it is a law. Lets bet on it . If its false I`ll buy dinner , if true you buy :eat3:

Well I wouldn't doubt that it is a law. Lets bet on it . If its false I`ll buy dinner , if true you buy :eat3:
Sure I'll bet for fun. If you find a Texas state law that actually states feet down is required for a legal stop you win. What is your time limit for searching, one month?

_

DOT brake lines? That`s a new one, didn`t know they made them..
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!

Yep, if you look at any street legal road bike, they will have black rubber brake lines, with white text printed on them and it states DOT ..... to show they are street legal!! I hadn't heard it until the inspector called it out!! I hate bleeding brake systems, so I really hated to have to change a perfectly good brake line (well changing the line didn't bother me), but having to bleed it afterwards was a ****. Easy enough to do, but I just hate doing it..

Gary

Yep, if you look at any street legal road bike, they will have black rubber brake lines, with white text printed on them and it states DOT ..... to show they are street legal!! I hadn't heard it until the inspector called it out!! I hate bleeding brake systems, so I really hated to have to change a perfectly good brake line (well changing the line didn't bother me), but having to bleed it afterwards was a ****. Easy enough to do, but I just hate doing it..

Gary
Inspector just jacking with you or was uneducated to inspection criteria. This was not required.

I fight back as know the actual requirements. More than once I've told them to go read the state criteria or I'll leave without paying them a penny.

_

Inspector just jacking with you or was uneducated to inspection criteria. This was not required.

I fight back as know the actual requirements. More than once I've told them to go read the state criteria or I'll leave without paying them a penny.

_

I guess I'm just lucky. I took my WR to a place that didn't look at tires, brake lines, or even worry about a non-DOT headlight. He wanted to see the brake light, which I had. He also wanted to see the headlight go from low to high, so for low I held the brakes on to dim it, and then for high I let off the brake and revved the bike a little. For the horn, I told him that I didn't need one I would just yell when I needed to.

Inspection done......:trust:

When we inspected Rachel's XR200 we never even pulled it off of the trailer. He walked over to it and said everything looks good to him, so we were all good. I should have never wasted money on making a horn work on an all AC system.:shrug:

No problems plating the FreeRide, inspection easy. However. I have a DRZ400 sans title and am axious to read about your title experience. I've been dreading even heading towards the courthouse or DMV. .

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I'll add some flames to the fire. I was pulled over about 30 years ago for not have put a foot down. I was speeding and he didn't catch me on radar. He followed me into a neighborhood. I hit the first corner without seeing the cop. I came to a full stop, looked left and right. Hit the gas. He scared me with his siren as he blipped me. He let me know that I was speeding and asked me how fast I was going. I told him I didn't know and asked why he pulled me over. He said that I failed to come to a complete stop. I let him know that I did. He informed me that one foot down was necessary and I was given a ticket. I didn't fight it, just paid it. On my KTM there is no way I'm getting both feet down. My legs are two short. One flat foot is what you get.

I plated my 450. Non-dot headlight (Stock KTM) and non dot LED tail-light. It did have a clear section that lite up the plate. Worked well. I did blinkers, but didn't know you don't have to have them (code says you don't). I only did the rear brake. I used Sicassracing for the kit, but if I had to do it again I use molex like the stock ones and make my own harness using parts.

I didn't talk to the inspection guy, but he was cool and had done many off-road bikes. He was the mechanic at the KTM shop. I didn't have dot tires and he asked me. I told them they were in my garage. I'd spoon them on if he needed to see them, but they be off by the weekend.

I pretty much only rode my bike to wash it at the car wash, transfer between fields. About a 10 mile section of road for an enduro (they had permission to let non-plated bikes ride on the shoulder). Then in colorado for time between trails and to get gas. No more than 20 or 30 miles stretches at a time.

I want to do my 300 as well, but mine maybe harder as my year XC was very different. came with no head lights and all the kits list my year separate so I might just be better off making one.

Well it looks like I will lose my bet with Silverbullet unless some one can come up with a written Texas law sting you need both feet down. Any help would be appreciated :giveup:

Nothing specific but a nice pair of Klim riding gloves plus some new Dianese shin/knee guards. Hopefully I'll not have to do a review on them!

I got gloves too, but mine were Blue Hawk. Guess that Tractor Supply isn't carrying Klim yet.

Been looking at the EVS and Alpinstars knee braces and guard. I'm afraid with my worn out joints, putting my foot down is just as dangerous as getting roosted.

m

Well it looks like I will lose my bet with Silverbullet unless some one can come up with a written Texas law sting you need both feet down. Any help would be appreciated :giveup:

Can't say I'm an attorney, but if I remember my political science class correctly, there are laws or statue, rules set by the agency to interpret the statute and precedent in the courts. For example, the law says a motorcycle has to have all kinds of crap on it, but the rules says the inspector only needs to look for a handful of things. Same deal with lane splitting. The law isn't explicit, but the DPS rules says that if they catch you they will likely cite you for failing to stay in one lane. If there is something written, it is likely an agency rule. A DPS trooper might be able to shed some light on this. Either way, if you get a ticket you have a court fight on your hands that is probably not worth the hassle.

Jonathan_Loughran_7_zpsk8cinmup.jpg

Back to the topic in hand -

The parts to attempt the street legal conversion on the KTM are slowly trickling in (cheap & from China so no complaints). Today I made a start on the tail/brake light. This came as a single integrated fender unit -

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/262704230330?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]Motocross Off-Road Dirt Bike Dual Sport Red LED Rear Brake Tail Light Fender New | eBay[/ame]

1st job was to remove the rear fender from the bike & using a Dremel, remove the 2 mounting turrets (presumably a universal part where their street legal fender attaches)

IMG_20170108_115704-L.jpg

I used rivets to mount the new fender unit.

IMG_20170108_122039-L.jpg

The wiring had the MC style butt connectors so to lengthen the tail wiring I added 3 wires with female terminals, these are soldered as well as crimped.

IMG_20170108_123240-L.jpg

This kind of cabling termination alone is probably fine for a street bike but an off road machine doles out way too much punishment both from water & abrasion so I added cable sleeving and heat shrinked down over the connections.

IMG_20170108_124108-L.jpg

I think it all turned out nicely in the end?

IMG_20170108_130400-L.jpg

Next up, rectifiers, batteries & switches...don't touch that dial.

I don't think the pop rivets will hold up with the vibration. I would go with screws with large washers. FWIW.

I would have to agree with Jet on the rivets, and if you want to maintain the clean look on the outside, use carriage bolts (really small ones). They'll leave the outside smooth. I think you can even get them in black - that will cost a few more pennies.

Thanks for the suggestion, I do have the plate riveted onto the fender on my XR400 which has survived numerous bashings though.

Back