• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Minimalist’s ride through Mexico.

Jeff, you should shoot a PM to birdwh. He recently has done several trips to Thailand. Even got married there! He lives in Cedar Park (North Austin).

Big Ron,
I am always up for meeting new ppl for lunch / coffee. I'll P.M. ya.

If anyone wants to borrow the folding map, Mex atlas, or Lonelyplanet Mexico just let me know! I won't be needing them until next December.

Jeff, When you come down again to Mexico, come and visit me in Monclova (Hwy 57, 150 mi south of Eagle Pass TX, 110 mi north of Saltillo). :rider: We could make a 50 mile ride to Cuatrocienegas.

http://www.npr.org/programs/re/archivesdate/2001/aug/20010827.cienegas.html

Best wishes,

Fernando

Big Ron,
I am always up for meeting new ppl for lunch / coffee. I'll P.M. ya.

If anyone wants to borrow the folding map, Mex atlas, or Lonelyplanet Mexico just let me know! I won't be needing them until next December.

Jeff, When you come down again to Mexico, come and visit me in Monclova (Hwy 57, 150 mi south of Eagle Pass TX, 110 mi north of Saltillo). :rider: We could make a 50 mile ride Cuatrocienegas.

http://www.npr.org/programs/re/archivesdate/2001/aug/20010827.cienegas.html

Gracias por tu reportaje. !Estupendo!

Mis mejores deseos,

Fernando

Last edited:
Fernanao,

Man, I was so close going to Cuatro Cienegas on my return trip! It sounds like a very interesting place.

Next time! (because I will be returning!!!!).

Thanks for the invite! Look for me next December!

This has been an excellent trip report. Thanks for posting it. I haven't been to Mexico since high school, when we took the train from Piedras Negras to Topolabampa. That was a great trip! I also went a couple of times when I was 11/12, but that's a whole different story that ended tragically for us. Still, I'd like to go back.

:sun: Great RR Jeff!!
A few years back I read a thread on ADV or somewhere where a couple of guys rented a couple of XR250s (guide included) and went miles and miles into the jungles of Thailand.:zen: Just an option but if you're there....:rider:.
You're a very eloquent writer and I enjoyed this thread immensely.:clap:
If you're ever down this way, I'll take you to Klumps for a CFS!!:eat:
Be carefull over there and Happy New Year.

R.......

YOu did a dang good job on this one Jeff:clap: :dude:

Last edited:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Jeff thank you for sharing your awesome journey with us. What a outstanding report which surely deserves a standing ovation.
Your trip reminded me of my high school/college days in India when we took off on our bikes worry free whenever we got chance.Which was pretty much every weekend :flip: lol
I have been to San Miguel and fallen in love with that town. Just wanted to add that I also learned the movie with Antonio Banderas called Once upon a time in Mexico was filmed there. San miguel has the steepest slopes and winding roads which I guess would be fun and dangerous at the same time to ride on. I was with the family there last yearand we took the tour in the street car. It was an awesome experience.
I hope one day I will be able to get out from the rat race and go that far on a bike trip. Ever since I seen the movie Motorcysle diaries I dream of nothing but a long bike road trip :mrgreen:

kudos to you and good luck on your trip to Thailand

Mark

PS. Just wanted to add this link to motorcycle tours in India they are rather pricey but gives you a general idea about riding there.Its cheaper to buy a bike and go on your own as you did.

http://classic-bike-india.com/html/home.html

Thanks guys for the continued responses!!!

I am in Thailand as we speak. I have not ridden a motor bike in a week, it is killin' me!

I have however taken motor bike taxis a few times. They are cheep, and you ride two up on a Honda wave scooter (100 cc).

I plan to rent a bike for a few days up north, where trafic is suposed to be ligher, and the roads curvier.

Nice to check in here while I am a way!

Enjoy the cold! :trust: :sun: :trust:

A great ride report. I did a similar trip on a KLX400R a couple of years ago but in reverse of your route with a few more days around HWY 85/120 in Hidalgo state and a 2 day stop at El Cielo Biosphere. A minimalist ride, but without a doubt one of the best trips of my life. I ended up moving to Mexico a year later so I could ride everyday here. My only regret is that I did not do move South sooner.

Just picked up on this thread, a first class ride report. Something I'd like to have done at an earlier age. And something I'd encourage my 17 year old son to do in the future. This'd be a good trip on his EX500.

Hey Mark,

This post is old but thought I should add few comment...There are lot of tour operators now that are value for money.. check Wild Triumph on google, they are not pricey and the tours look amazing

Back