• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My H-D Pan America Nightmare

Is that really a bike problem or a dealer problem with installation of the new part?
To the owner, it's the same result in either case. HD corporate shouldn't let an HD dealer put a bike on the road that's not road worthy. Unlike some of the other PA issues we've heard about on this bike, this problem is probably fixed with a 10 cent bolt and 15 seconds of time. But, it'll kill ya just as dead as a huge mechanical or electrical failure on I-10.

To the owner, it's the same result in either case. HD corporate shouldn't let an HD dealer put a bike on the road that's not road worthy. Unlike some of the other PA issues we've heard about on this bike, this problem is probably fixed with a 10 cent bolt and 15 seconds of time. But, it'll kill ya just as dead as a huge mechanical or electrical failure on I-10.
Very true, but its not uncommon for dealers to mess things up on bikes that don't have any issues. In this instance of what appears to be an installation error, there is no way corporate HD has any control over the tech at the wrench level. That's controlled by local management at the dealer level unless it becomes chronic and people start complaining about bad service to corporate customer service. The quality issues that the bikes are having from the factory is whole different story.

Back to your regularly scheduled PA bashing.
I just think it's really sad. The Pan Am had the potential to give Harley some outreach into new markets and the motor, or at least the tech in it, really should be the future of their powerplants. Just looks like a giant swing and miss on the implementation to me.

I just think it's really sad. The Pan Am had the potential to give Harley some outreach into new markets and the motor, or at least the tech in it, really should be the future of their powerplants. Just looks like a giant swing and miss on the implementation to me.
I agree its an implementation problem. There are lots of PA's that have lots of multiple terrible problems like Rusty's bike. There are others that have bikes that are a lot more trouble free compared to the bad bikes.

That said, the internet is a funny place in that the people that have problems are very vocal. The people that aren't having problems are happily riding their bikes and not posting on the internet making it hard to figure out how wide spread the problem bikes really are.

I was looking at selling my old Super Tenere and Africa Twin and getting a Pan America. At this point I am keeping at least the Super Tenere or maybe both.

I agree its an implementation problem. There are lots of PA's that have lots of multiple terrible problems like Rusty's bike. There are others that have bikes that are a lot more trouble free compared to the bad bikes.

That said, the internet is a funny place in that the people that have problems are very vocal. The people that aren't having problems are happily riding their bikes and not posting on the internet making it hard to figure out how wide spread the problem bikes really are.

I was looking at selling my old Super Tenere and Africa Twin and getting a Pan America. At this point I am keeping at least the Super Tenere or maybe both.

I'd keep the Africa Twin over the S10, but I'm biased!

Unfortunately, I know of as many bad Pan Ams as I do good ones so I'd have a hard time buying one even though I do like that Sharknose-esque side profile. I kinda like the looks of them in pictures and they look better in person imo. It's a shame they seem real hit or miss and the misses are pretty bad.

The Super Ten is such a wonderful machine and, from what I can see, they're one of the most worry free bikes on the roads. I wouldn't hesitate to own one if I didn't already have an overweight ADV bike. If anything ever happens to my 1150 then the STen will be at the top of the list if I want to replace it with another big bike.

S10 is a better longer distance blacktop travel bike.
The AT and S10 are not even in the same league for LD riding. The S10 is great for distances and reliability. My AT did pretty well on 500 mile days though with the Sargent seat and an upgraded windshield. I could have lived with it, but I missed my GSA and am now on my 3rd. There was just something about the 2017AT DCT that still calls me though.

Just gonna say it: No one is ever going to beat BMW at the GS game.
Unless you don't want a BMW or other new bike loaded with electronic gizmos.

One of the things I like best about the S10 is the lack of electronic wizardry. Same with my T7 which has even less.

Last edited:
Yep. Ive now had an 07 gsa for 84k, a 2011 gsa for 40k, and a 2016 gsa for 11k. The 07 suspension saved my life one day in an off pavement excursion. The 2016 esa/semi active is by far the best ive owned. Its critical for my arthritis now. Perhaps the multistrada is even smoother, but i cant maintain one nor afford to take it in. I cant imagine the newer 1300gs. Im hoping to ride one on pavement twisties in utah in a few weeks if i can get there.

One of things I like best about the S10 is the lack of electronic wizardry. Same with my T7 which has even less.
precisely why I bought a VStrom 800DE. Just enough electronic gadgetry, along with Suzuki boring reliabilty. :)

Would you think an S10 would overlap too much, or be a welcome addition to the garage for longer distance riding?

One of things I like best about the S10 is the lack of electronic wizardry. Same with my T7 which has even less.
Agree. But a few simple ride modes like on my 2016 gsa, i really dont use or need. The suspension settings i do sometimes adjust but mainly run it on full tight. I think its a holdover from sport bike days. But agree, low tech is appealing to me now. My friend was baffled by his new 1300 showing a "2". After digging into the manual it turned out be. "Your second ride" :-)

precisely why I bought a VStrom 800DE. Just enough electronic gadgetry, along with Suzuki boring reliabilty. :)

Would you think an S10 would overlap too much, or be a welcome addition to the garage for longer distance riding?
My buddy just rode his new low end 800 vstrom from phoenix to kerrville for the hill country hangout. All i can say is the bike is amazing. 8400 otd shiped from wisconsin to phoenix. Ride now in phoenix wanted another 2400. I guess we have to pay for all the mom and pop dealerships they are buying. And the fees of the investment bankers doing mergers.

The AT and S10 are not even in the same league for LD riding. The S10 is great for distances and reliability. My AT did pretty well on 500 mile days though with the Sargent seat and an upgraded windshield. I could have lived with it, but I missed my GSA and am now on my 3rd. There was just something about the 2017AT DCT that still calls me though.

My Twin has been faultless in the reliability department for nearly 17k miles and just over 9k miles on my first one before it was totaled. Comfort wise it could probably be a little better, but it's still the best I've experienced and I even had a '21 Goldwing for 8 months. Never could get comfortable on the Wing. Might just be my odd proportioning.

Last edited:
I know of as many bad Pan Ams as I do good ones so I'd have a hard time buying one…they seem real hit or miss and the misses are pretty bad.
Are the bad ones first year bikes and has HD worked out the bugs so new ones are trouble free or are the new ones also hit-and-miss?

-Jeff

Are the bad ones first year bikes and has HD worked out the bugs so new ones are trouble free or are the new ones also hit-and-miss?

-Jeff

I honestly don't know. I think one of the good ones was a first year bike.

Back