• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My newest goof

Reaction score
Ok, I have a 79 Yamaha xs750 special. You know the small spring that goes on the diaphragm needle in a Mikuni bs34 carb, well mine decided to fly somewhere as I was taking out the diaphragm slide. I tore my garage apart with no luck. I have searched the web looking for a spring, Yamaha part# 2F0-14589-00-00, which I am told it is unavailable. If anyone knows where I can purchase this spring, or better yet three, for my 79 Yamaha xs750 special please get back to me. Much appreciated.

Find the 10mm socket, and there you'll find your spring. Ok, not funny. I've had things like that happen to me way too often, so I sympathize. Try contacting Mikuni USA; they might be able to help you. If not, do you still have one from one of your other carbs? You might be able to find one pretty similar at a local hardware store that you could try. Best of luck!

Have tried one of these to "sweep" the floor? I've had luck doing that.

Screen Shot 2024-07-26 at 5.41.53 AM.png

or wrap a rag around things like that if you can when disassembling it. My brother front brake switch was acting funny on our latest ride. We chose not to mess with in on the road in case something like this may happen.

Springs are usually shiny.
Try searching in a darkened garage with a good flashlight. Get down low and shine the light across the floor.

The spring may not be unique to that model carburetor. You might be able to cannibalize the spring from another Mikuni if you are able to source one.

I've drug a magnet around the area to fin d things, in fact, the last screw I lost was actually stuck to the magnet of the flashlight I was using to look for it. Doh.

I have tried all of what you guys have suggested except getting an old carb. I even went to a local motorcycle shop and they let me search through his junk drawer. I found springs of the same stiffness but I don't know if they are to stiff or if that even makes any difference as long as the tension is the same. Thanks for all your input.
Bob Shaw

Ok, I found a spring and all seemed good until I started the bike. It ran at idle at about 5k. Any ideas???

Back