• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

"My search for New Riding Area"

Great Thread!

yeah Jim it is. It i starting to morph into a history/ adventure/ kinda thing...

I have played in the hill country around here since I was very little. Have been to the Rockies, the Spanish Sierra Madre, and the Pyrenees, yet I come to enjoy this part of the world the most,

The beauty of "The Ranch" is that soon these places will be replaced by Homes and Parks and superhighways. Until then I and all of us will take pics and enjoy this part of the world before it goes away.

Wow! I am being really nostalgic today!

Phil

Last I heard he closed the place for hunting season not sure if he opened it again. I rode out there the weekend he opened for business
kind of fun place

What do I call this: Urban hooligan won’t work because this is really a sub-urban whatsit! The places where the spread of civilization hits the old, used to be, country side. Hooligan seems silly also. After all I am 59 year old baby boomer on a KLR.
So I will just call it suburban adventure riding?
Ugh! That term is so used up!
How about “chewing up the soon to be Hood?”
Oh well, I will work on a name.

Phil

I do the same thing, and I include pipeline rightaways, drainage ditches, and any place I can squeeze my DR250. I call it Outlaw Dualsport.

I'll be glad when it cools off some :giveup:, so we can get back up to Hidden Falls. I'm not sure if we are going to renew our membership up there this year, but if we don't we will get one with DBSA so we can ride Zars. We just finished riding on our property for the last hour, and I am soaked. Come on winter!!!

It sure would be nice to have other options to ride, within an hours drive. :trust:

Yeah I know, my place is about 100 acres, plus many miles of dirt roads right out my gate, Zars is 30 mins. away, and Hidden Falls is 2 hours. Kendalia is about an hour, so we have it rough I know. There are also 3 or 4 Motocross tracks within an hour drive, but that's just not my thing anymore.

I do the same thing, and I include pipeline rightaways, drainage ditches, and any place I can squeeze my DR250. I call it Outlaw Dualsport.

So does anyone know the legality of riding pipeline/powerline right-aways if it is not posted or fenced?

What about the ditches / right away along state highways or FM roads.

I know you can only cross state highways in an ATV, but what about riding in the grass right-away on a street legal dual sport?

I know river bottoms of navigable rivers is a no-no, but what about flood plain areas between levies and the river bottoms?

Jim

Texas has almost no public land.

If a powerline easement was on my property I would be rightly upset if you and your hooligan son came blazing across my pasture with your xl250 throwing roost and the T-dub on one wheel.

I ride on powerline easements on private abandoned land!

I ride on powerline easements on private abandoned land!

Just be careful for the day when it becomes un-abandoned again. I had 10-15 acres of land I've been riding on around Lake Houston for 2-1/2 yrs. I carved my own trails on the interior but was careful to conceal it by never making a visible entry or exit point to the bayou easement. Well one day 3 months ago I found a log over my trail, went over it and soon after found a large tree downed. Seemed strategically placed but I forged a new trail around it and continued. Came into a very small clearing and was met by a heavily armed man and two rottweillers. He wasn't very happy but accepted my plea of ignorance and allowed me to turn around and leave without incident. A month later gates went up, fences repaired and plenty of purple paint plastered on fence poles, trees and rocks. I guess he is a fan of Barney, hahaha

_

Riding on power line or pipeline easements without permission is trespassing . As a landowner I would not tolerate trespassing .

Dave

Riding on power line or pipeline easements without permission is trespassing . As a landowner I would not tolerate trespassing .

True but remember this thread originally started about "suburban" riding areas. More often than not these suburban easements are not owned by a single property owner but a homeowners association or developer. Often they are used for walking, golf carts and bicycling so motorcycles are not much deviation from that. Some have signs stating "no motorized vehicles" and some do not. So the ones that do not could easily be presumed ok to ride?

_

When I read the Texas Penal Code

http://law.onecle.com/texas/penal/30.05.00.html

It appears that "trespassing" can only happen only if one is given notice that entry is forbidden via fenced enclosure (closed gate), signs, or purple paint.

So it seems an unmarked right of way would be legal to use (again thinking suburban right of ways, not someone's pasture).

I could easily be wrong as I am no lawyer plus I would not want to antagonize a landowner who might shoot first and ask questions later.

Riding on Texas highway right-of-way will result in stiff fines if you get the wrong officer. In the Natl forest riding on any right-of-way is an expensive nono.

I ride about 30 miles of powerline easments and drainage areas around my subdivision...most of it very rugged class 3 stuff...there are no signs and these areas are used by atv's, bicycles, runners, even jeeps sometimes...I have never been hassled or even seen a cop...there is a sign in one area that say no motorized vehicles off road and its right on the main off road trail that everyone uses...with that said I swear one day the SAPD was following me in thier chopper...every time I cleared the brush there they were right above me...so I ducked into the deep woods and shook em off...ah unrban adventure....

I have been riding inside the Houston city limits alot lately.I just recently discovered the love of suburban adventure riding. I now try to find ways to my friends houses by taking RR tracks and the bayous. Bayou riding is very fun but also difficult. Sometimes i get down on the concreted parts next to the water and that algae gets to be very slippery, but it is **** fun to ramp out and ride on the slanted edges. I know there are signs posted about tresspassing, I also know where there are entry points that don't have them. So i use them. In some cases these "trails" are faster than street riding. I recently went from downtown to 43rd and Antoine without using a paved road.
It was a blast. Since I can't get out of the city often , this is how I ride and practice for when I can.

Back