• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Africa Twin debut?

I had to quote this and post for evidence so you can't go back and edit it later. I'll take a non DCT red and white like Donny's. Or better yet if your check arrives late a red, white and blue if they give us that color for 2017.

_

Meeeee Toooooo

I love the one I have but would take a second one!

I've got roughly 1,800 miles on mine. It is a DCT. Love the bike.

Still getting accustomed to throttle control in the dirt with no clutch at very low speeds. Very different. I will say that being able to shift gears with a simple twitch of a finger or thumb is sweet!

TTR

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

This will be wildernessrider soon.

Attachments

• 13592235_1051886458193155_8377118850644023895_n.jpg
    13592235_1051886458193155_8377118850644023895_n.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 13439168_1051886474859820_3210844106131433557_n.jpg
    13439168_1051886474859820_3210844106131433557_n.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 13438906_1051886471526487_6112541318349395300_n.jpg
    13438906_1051886471526487_6112541318349395300_n.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 215
Either he doesn't own the bike or he is more of a man than I am!!!

This past Saturday I did a one day intermediate Total Control training day so I could finally get my motorcycle certificate. Turned out I really enjoyed the class and learned a lot. Also pushed the AT harder than I would have on my own at high speed breaking, cornering and other more road type riding.

While it wasn't part of the class I did several wheelies to get up to speed and then full brake panic stops to a complete stop (note the forks have so much travel I would always pong backwards after a complete stop and let off the brakes). This scrubbed off about 30% of my front tire!

The swerve around an obstacle was a blast, kept playing with higher speeds, it was really a great thing to practice and made me even more comfortable with the bike.

I also would try each maneuver standing up as well as sitting down. What surprised me was how hard the swerve maneuver was while standing up. It took several tries to figure out the body position and how to hard I had to press on the pegs to get the big bike to move. Totally different than sitting. It was a lot of fun.

I actually signed up for the advanced class in October.

Anybody looking, Cycle Shack in Conroe had an unclaimed one today. Looked ok.

Last edited:
Silver one was still at Cycle Shack late Friday, when I left TWTEX member "Fly" was dealing?? Not sure of results!

got it today :deal:

Attachments

• 0709161659.jpg
    0709161659.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 238
Doug / Fly, I hope you love her as much as I do. My wife rarely gets jealous (for good reason) but she is a bit miffed the way I carry on when I speak of the twin !!!

thanks guys !
enjoyed tonights 1st ride.very gentle with it course.LOL

Rob and Terry showed upfor some more dirt road riding very nice sorted bikes husky 701 and 1190.

the traction control was turned off every time i started engine.on dirt!

very nice especially HID lights ... turns night _ into day.

seems like very good first impressions were felt ...

David yeah just like my big boat the KTM 500 gone but looking forward towards a 2 stroke in the not too distant future.

Brad yes sir felt very blessed and and in great company of riders been awhile since i rode at night. allot cooler then as well lol. sundays already here so planning another ride glove up and meet at rangers station sometime in late morning four or 5 hour run .

Attachments

• 0709162000c.jpg
    0709162000c.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 235
  • 0709162000.jpg
    0709162000.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 239
  • 0709162000b.jpg
    0709162000b.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
I have now put 1750 miles on mine. Rode it Houston-Tyler-Houston one day, and another round trip ride from Houston to Marble Falls last weekend. Still loving it, very smooth comfortable traveling bike. Took it onto a tiny bit of trails out at Hidden Falls just to see how it felt bumping over rocks and such, but haven't really made my way onto any serious dirt with it yet. But when I do get a chance to put her through some paces I sure will remember what Kabotamike said about it taking a few tries to get the hang of effective turning while on the pegs. Probably won't go charging into anything too challenging until I get a good feel for how she acts. Sure wish those forest trails were open. That would give it a decent workout, and make it easy to index it's capabilities compared to other bikes of a similar ilk. Looking forward to when those 80/20 factory skins are toast, so I can put on some knobbies and get down to the serious business of riding some dirt.

Wow that is a lot of miles in a short time, especially with the heat.

I am at about 750 miles and two oil changes down. One more and I will make the switch to synthetic.

I did install the SW Motech skid plate last week. Went for a short ride Sunday and noticed that it is big enough to cause some new sounds, kind of like a cowbell ringing from time to time. Expecting the tour tech lower crash bars to come in this week, but I really want those mid level bad boy bars, forget their name. Supposedly they will have some in stock next week so I can order them.

Installed the nHonda top box but haven't ridden yet with it. Looks like it will make mounting and dismounting the bike a bit more interesting, but overall really clean installation and super easy to remove.

Really trying to think about the next set of tires... That is a big question...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad to hear you guys enjoying your bikes! I'm trailering mine to the Smokey Mountains next week to get some riding and hiking in. Plan to ride the Tail of the Dragon and other various roads in that region.

Regarding gear, I went with Hebco Becker pannier racks, Wolfman Expedition panniers, duffel, and tank bag.

Waiting on Altrider's bash plate and crash bars to be released.

I also bought Honda's center stand and 12v plug (not installed). I'm waiting for the crash bars to come in...I will add LEDs on the crash bars and only want to tear the fairing off once...will run wiring for lights and 12v at that time.

Enjoy!!! TTR

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Also ordered the 12v plug and center stand from Honda, as well as the booster plug device. I will install both the booster plug and the 12v plug at the same time since both need the fairing removed.

Have a great ride, sounds like amazing country, hopefully cooler than TX is

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have a great ride, sounds like amazing country, hopefully cooler than TX is

:tab Only slightly cooler if you stay up above 4000 ft. Still VERY muggy though regardless of altitude! I LOVE riding in North Carolina. It has rained on me at least one or two days out of a week EVERY time I've been there. The roads are great though, even when wet. Dirt riding is mostly limited to easy forest roads, but they are crazy twisty, so you really get to practice cornering on dirt.

...Looking forward to when those 80/20 factory skins are toast, so I can put on some knobbies and get down to the serious business of riding some dirt.

Aah come on Donny, tires are cheap. Swap em out now and have some dirt fun. I know you anyway and you wont stay off the dirt. Without the proper dirt shoes much greater chance you'll drop it and be replacing plastics that cost more than the new tires anyway.

_

Regarding tires, I have the Motoz tractionator HT dakar on my big KTM. Have at least 3000 miles and still going strong. I like them a lot.

I heard that central tx powersports in georgetown had a dct model in stock yesterday

Hah! You could be right about that David. So far I have managed to put over 1800 miles on it and stayed for the most part on pavement. I thought about ditching the meats that are on it right away, but the bike is so darn butter smooth and sweet on the road that I found myself not wanting to pull em off just yet. They won't last but another month or two anyway. The tires seemed to tolerate what little offroading I have done with it. (Suspect that mud would be a different story entirely) So I figure if I get used to riding the big beast on slick tires, that when I swap into knobbies I should have learned what I need to know about the bikes inherent handling strengths and short comings. Hopefully that won't include me buying any new plastics etc. I did get an up close look at one of those giant rear Tractionators on a big DS bike the other day. They look positively menacing! I pitty the person who finds themself following this tire down a gravel road. Glad to hear they are as tough and durable as they look Mattc. Definitely going to be the next rear tire mounted on the big red AT.

Well I just finished installing the Touratech lower crash bars and I must admit they look pretty good. I feel much better about the lower cases now. Of course the new SW Motech skid plate won't fit with the Touratech crash bars installed, so there is one for sale if anybody is interested.

I did go ahead and order a set of Pirelli MT90AT Enduro / Dual Sport Tires front and rear. Like Donny said, the darn AT rides so nice with the stock tires, I didn't want to give that up so I am trying a more 70/30 type tire. Hopefully it lives up to the reviews.

I nervous about those big juicy side cases too! Hoping to see a nice aftermarket crash bar skid plate combo. With any luck that will also provide a mount location for some forward mounted long distance highway pegs. Being able to stretch out while on this bike should make it an easy all day in the saddle bike.

Back