• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Honda GROM for 2021 now with a 5th Gear (finally!)

Reaction score
Honda is giving its GROM an update - mostly styling. It's a bit of a mix between the 1st and 2nd Gen. I think it looks good.

2021-honda-grom-force-silver-metallic-front.jpg

2021-honda-grom-force-silver-metallic-3-4-back.jpg

2021-honda-grom-gayetey-red.jpg

Why does the Grom get updates so frequently but not other bikes?

As a teen/early 20 year old, I would like it.
As a 50 something, not so much.

HumanRace had a really nice one. I enjoyed it very much. Has little to do with age.

HumanRace had a really nice one. I enjoyed it very much. Has little to do with age.
I think it has to do with practicality and size.
I have ridden a Grom once, not very comfortable for me. It was fun to ride, just not my thing.
Kinda like the Boss Hoss thread, fun to ride, but not something I would want to own to ride regulary or for a distance.

Last edited:
Definitely not built for distance, however, they are a hoot in Texas MiniGP.
That would be the only reason I would ride one. Otherwise, I really don't see keeping a bike just to putt-putt around the neighborhood streets. I prefer my KLX140L (other than the @^%$# carburetor).

There is no denying their popularity though. There is a group that screams around my subdivision occasionally. Kinda annoying. Didn't bother to see if they are Groms or the other copycats.

Why does the Grom get updates so frequently but not other bikes?
Yap... still no sport touring bikes from the largest motorcycle mfr in the world. :shrug:

Yap... still no sport touring bikes from the largest motorcycle mfr in the world.

I haven't seen any actual numbers, but I would suspect that the Sport Touring category has been losing a good number of riders to the Adventure category in the last 10 years or so. When I first started TWT back in 2003, it seemed like EVERYONE was into sport touring. Then, in the last 10 years the adventure category seems to have exploded in comparison. If that is in fact the case, then I suspect they are just focusing their efforts where they get the best returns.

Power is the same at 9.7 HP but comes a little later at 7,250 RPM instead of 7,000 RPM our to Euro 5 regulations.

I wonder how much faster the 5th gear will make it go...

Honda got smart and paid attention to tuners. The new GROM can be accessorized:

2021-honda-grom-jpg.jpg

Who will be the first to take the Adventure Master across the TAT?

I haven't seen any actual numbers, but I would suspect that the Sport Touring category has been losing a good number of riders to the Adventure category in the last 10 years or so. When I first started TWT back in 2003, it seemed like EVERYONE was into sport touring. Then, in the last 10 years the adventure category seems to have exploded in comparison. If that is in fact the case, then I suspect they are just focusing their efforts where they get the best returns.
Popularity of ST as a category definitely has been eroded by the ADVs, but not completely dead. There are still mfrs making and selling them. I just find it rather unfortunate that the largest motorcycle in the world chose not to field even 1 entry in this segment.

I guess that is just the reality of a tough market. Yamaha basically killed off their entire cruiser lineup, leaving only a handful of high-$$ high-margin baggers.

You build what sells.

Agreed. After 15 years and 125K miles I sold my ST1300. Most of the guys I know no longer have Sport Touring Bikes any more.

ADV bikes are lot more roomy when your body is beat up from age and doing stupid things in your youth. For long distance 2 up travel the only bike Linda ride on is our Wing.

Who will be the first to take the Adventure Master across the TAT?

A couple from New Zealand rode the TAT on Groms a couple years ago. They have a great ide report on ADV Rider.

Last edited:
A couple from New Zealand rode the TAT on Groms a couple years ago. They have a great ide report on ADV Rider.

I've always thought that most of the TAT looks pretty boring, at least through the flat states. I can't imagine crossing them on a Grom.

I've always thought that most of the TAT looks pretty boring, at least through the flat states. I can't imagine crossing them on a Grom.
Perhaps it isn't particularly exciting from the standpoint of a pure dirt trail system and anyone who loves enduro riding. But it is more fun than slabbing it with a road bike from point A to point B. Anyone with a week or 2 will be carrying a load with them on a bike made for distance, so the bike will be heavier and more unwieldy than a true dirt bike and that makes the off-road parts more exciting.

What's with the tinker-toy style fasteners? Do people like that? Maybe I'm just too old....

That's a lot of pages of mostly comments to wade through...like any other thread on AdvRider. I'll definitely go through it though. Thanks.

Just scroll and look for the kiwi on a bike avatars. One is black on white, the other is white on black, to match their bikes and gear.

Back