• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

Oh, I forgot to add that I saw a pickup that look just like my old 85 GMC. I spoke to the guy and discovered his was a Chevrolet and the funny thing about it I had replaced the wheels with the same ones, it was a plain Jane blue long bed truck with a 305 and terrible carbureted throttle response.
IMG_20200427_103112094_HDR.jpg

I had a 1983 long bed, grey, four wheel drive with manual hubs. Had the dual tanks. You know, the ones on the outside of the frame that exploded on side impact! :) It had the electronic actuated tank valve would fail occasionally and then you had to guess which tank it was running on. When switched on the dash, the gauge would change but the valve wouldn't. I loved that truck. Oh the benefit of a clouded memory ... :)

STORY TIME
I have to tell a story here, about that truck. My son, one of his friends and I were driving to McKinney Falls Park outside of Austin to camp for the weekend. They were probably 6 or 7 years old. On 183, just turning off 290, the truck ran out of gas. I was surprised because I had just switched the tanks, but apparently the valve failed ... again. So, I started playing with the gas switch and couldn't get it switched or started. Finally, thinking the valve had finally failed and I would have to use the empty tank, we hitched a ride and got some gas. The guy was nice enough to return us to the truck with a gallon of gas, where I put most the gallon in the empty tank.

The truck was on a hill and leaning away from the empty tank and the fuel pump would not pump the gas up, or so I thought. The boys were standing a good 50 feet away, up the hill. So, I took a little of the gas and put it on the breather to prime the engine. It almost started ... several times. Not giving it enough prime, so I loaded it up, and ... boom, the gas caught on fire. Flame on! The boys jumping and waving their arms. I yelled at my son to bring something liquid from the cooler. He brought me a beer. No, no! A can of coke. Back he came with the coke, which put out the fire. And fortunately, very little damage. Eventually, I took a screw driver handle and whacked the fuel valve a few times and heard it actually engage. It apparently had gotten stuck half way and had been giving no fuel at all.

When we finally got to the park, my son's friend had to call his parents to let them know we arrived safely (this was before cell phones). I heard him explain that the truck ran out of gas, we hitched a ride with some strangers, the truck caught on fire and that I wouldn't put it out with the beer. Eventually, I did get on with the father, to explain that basically what his son had told him, was the truth. Come to think of it, this was the last time he was allowed to go with us anywhere.

Last edited:
I had a 1983 long bed, grey, four wheel drive with manual hubs. Had the dual tanks. You know, the ones on the outside of the frame that exploded on side impact! :) It had the electronic actuated tank valve would fail occasionally and then you had to guess which tank it was running on. When switched on the dash, the gauge would change but the valve wouldn't. I loved that truck. Oh the benefit of a clouded memory ... :)

STORY TIME
I have to tell a story here, about that truck. My son, one of his friends and I were driving to McKinney Falls Park outside of Austin to camp for the weekend. They were probably 6 or 7 years old. On 183, just turning off 290, the truck ran out of gas. I was surprised because I had just switched the tanks, but apparently the valve failed ... again. So, I started playing with the gas switch and couldn't get it switched or started. Finally, thinking the valve had finally failed and I would have to use the empty tank, we hitched a ride and got some gas. The guy was nice enough to return us to the truck with a gallon of gas, where I put most the gallon in the empty tank.

The truck was on a hill and leaning away from the empty tank and the fuel pump would not pump the gas up, or so I thought. The boys were standing a good 50 feet away, up the hill. So, I took a little of the gas and put it on the breather to prime the engine. It almost started ... several times. Not giving it enough prime, so I loaded it up, and ... boom, the gas caught on fire. Flame on! The boys jumping and waving their arms. I yelled at my son to bring something liquid from the cooler. He brought me a beer. No, no! A can of coke. Back he came with the coke, which put out the fire. And fortunately, very little damage. Eventually, I took a screw driver handle and whacked the fuel valve a few times and heard it actually engage. It apparently had gotten stuck half way and had been giving no fuel at all.

When we finally got to the park, my son's friend had to call his parents to let them know we arrived safely (this was before cell phones). I heard him explain that the truck ran out of gas, we hitched a ride with some strangers, the truck caught on fire and that I wouldn't put it out with the beer. Eventually, I did get on with the father, to explain that basically what his son had told him, was the truth. Come to think of it, this was the last time he was allowed to go with us anywhere.
Laugh out loud :lol2: . We all got one of those stories , right?
Mine was bare bones...one of those "Sunday cars" (build on a Sunday). It had had issues too.

RZ brought tamales frm home & I got cheez dried saug sticks & smokd tenderloin from Greens...stopped in Weir to eat....about 2pm

Im in Fredericksburg 2nite...
$40!! Sunset Inn

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Could the weather today have been any nicer? Wow! After that monster storm I decided to go check the texture of the mud.

cd3de3335e47ffad840a2ac87e9845f0.jpg

0b6f860a1e13891fc9ca3da3372331a7.jpg

08cd3714f146ec7a24fea708c4f3739e.jpg

567195f79910b47fd6451ac0577f10b8.jpg

I wasn’t disappointed. There was plenty of it.

5e567c41cf756021c6bbf700598f0e1f.jpg

d1d572cb7ace385b15dc555654e7c2a7.jpg

69461f5184f57fd6cb1762aad3e9dbd1.jpg

a9cab548c44ebe5569cb8257f1a35e36.jpg

The flooded Leon river valley.

232c3ea322ea0e693e81cb7f38db8a37.jpg

430290a099241041774e044fd4ba3c22.jpg

3db4e7590518c3dfb8d47dba553759a4.jpg

6d8ee68f67ba876d4cf24745148ad025.jpg

7739e186a797a2f0e74f90516330b070.jpg

65bed6ce4dfe396a81ce6f0077da4008.jpg

Until next time.

7975d9ec69f0c96d74a44bf9d823784c.jpg

bca5f14b60c95a6761820baea7c53618.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bills BBQ in Kerrville
20200501_141219.jpg

Im back in Fredericksburg again tonite.....
Ya cant beat a $40 a nite motel!!!
(Sunset Inn) dont kno how long those prices will last though.

Yes $40 room is a bargain for sure. I didn't realize you still had a Tenere. I thought you cleared them out and back to a Strom. Good to have choices.

Yup, thanks Rod for posting. I’m glad to see all the recent day ride posts. It gives us all a lil goal to go match.

Yes $40 room is a bargain for sure. I didn't realize you still had a Tenere. I thought you cleared them out and back to a Strom. Good to have choices.
Got 1 of each....the Ten for travellin mostly...& a Strom for some fun & short trips... Both bikes are fun...just in different ways

Met some folks from the valley this evenin at the motel. Theyre hedded to Regency Bridge tomorro. That Scorched Orange Harley is gonna get a lil dusty.

Back