• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Real de Catorce

Great pics and story. Time to work on that Spanish tutor CD again. Donde es bano?

Tracker, I will work through the lessons, that much I am certain of. I would have done it before the trip, but there was just way too much going on then. Same with the 3 days. I'd loved to just disappear in Mexico for three weeks, but neither work nor family would let me... Someday...

Real is a perfect first stop on a trip into continental Mexico. Not too far inland, yet it gets you within reach of some great destinations for the next day.

I meant I need to work on learning Spanish (which I know none.) Thanks for the pics & words to inspire me to crack open the lessons again.

A lunch and a walk.... Meson de la Abunduncia, would that be the House of Plenty? To those that can afford, it is. Mexico is not all that well off. I've visited third world countries before but what struck me the most during this trip was the natural dignity of the people. I have not seeng neither a drunk nor a beggar. The way that the people I've met carried themselves is what makes me want to come back and learn more. That and Indio beer.

Indio is wonderful stuff :bigokay: I've noticed even when I was a kid, that the realy metropolitan areas (like Monterrey) were more prone to the typical signs of povery, beggin and whatnot. You really have to get out of the cities to see some wonderful things in Mexico. Some of the touristy things can be nice, especially in the places that recognize that the gringo tourists are the money train. I havent been into Mexico proper in a couple of years (sad since I live next door, I know, I know :duck:). The thing is the border is a world unto itself, on both sides. Great pics.

You are not kidding about the border. I did'nt care much about Nuevo Laredo. It did looked like the actual border was the one that the army watched about 20 miles inland. That was where they've asked about the tourist visa and checked the bike's permiso.

First class report, and great pics! I am glad to another little Ninja made it there and back!

+2 on the Indio beer.:chug:

First class report, and great pics! I am glad to another little Ninja made it there and back!

+2 on the Indio beer.:chug:

It's a capable little pony, isn't it? Me amigo had added the bar raisers and a backrest to his in order to stretch the daily mileage to 500 or so. If you take the minimalist attitude toward the material things, these bikes (the Wee also) won't disappoint.

Enjoyed you "Minimalist" report a great deal as well. These reports is what makes me come back to the site

Great Post man...!

Your pictures brings back memorys... Dave G, Gary, Heather and myself were there last September. I bailed on making my trip report and compiled a video instead.

How did the STROM do on the road? Any *new rattles on the bike yet?

IMG_0645%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_0648%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_0698%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_0722%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_0724%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_0742%20(Medium).JPG

The WeeStrom continues to amaze. It is a lot of bike for the money! Even though I do occasionaly lust for the new F800GS, I keep asking myself: "What would it be able to do that the Wee can't?" No rattles, pulls like diesel in first on steep streets, no slipping of clutch required...

I think we tend to underestimate the capabilities of our bikes in general. My friend has taken his 250 Ninja everywhere I took the Strom. Including some mild dirt riding on CR3XX around Willow City. I tend to drop mine more often than he does his. When I hear you'll need KTM (KLR, whatever) to ride such-and-such I wonder how we've managed to survive before KTMs :) .

Awesome pictures. The last is taken from the ghost town, right? Did you ride up there?

The WeeStrom continues to amaze. It is a lot of bike for the money! Even though I do occasionaly lust for the new F800GS, I keep asking myself: "What would it be able to do that the Wee can't?" No rattles, pulls like diesel in first on steep streets, no slipping of clutch required...

I think we tend to underestimate the capabilities of our bikes in general. My friend has taken his 250 Ninja everywhere I took the Strom. Including some mild dirt riding on CR3XX around Willow City. I tend to drop mine more often than he does his. When I hear you'll need KTM (KLR, whatever) to ride such-and-such I wonder how we've managed to survive before KTMs :) .

Awesome pictures. The last is taken from the ghost town, right? Did you ride up there?

Nope, we rode horses up there :trust:

If you watch this video, your recgonize R14 and I show the horses and Real 14 in general and others http://youtube.com/watch?v=PPiloGbuMXU

Sweet report...I'm ready to go back, especially now that AusFletch has a new rear drive. Those steep roads in Real are amazing...don't forget to disengage the ABS if you have to go down them when wet...unless you want a dirty seat and a messed up bike!

My wife and I went there years ago, had a great time. We rode my GS had no problems with the final drive. The roads back were a blast, until we got near the crossing at Falcon Dam.

Nicely done, & good photos.

I'm impressed that you were able to do the trip on a three day weekend. Did you overnight in Monterrey or Saltillo? Given more time, how long would you stay in Real de Catorce to see all the sights, ride the horses to the ghost town, photograph everything intresting... etc.
I'm planning a trip there in October with a few friends and have a bunch of questions. I'll ask more later.

Thanks! Good report. :clap:

Jerry, I would recommend making it to Real the first day. If you trailer your bikes, take them to Laredo, then leave the trailer stateside. You can make it to Real in an easy to medium day of riding. I would estimate about 300 miles from Laredo if you stay on the cuotas. Even with entry paperwork, you'll have time to spare before dark in Real. We went to Saltillo first, got lost, got found, didn't care enough to stay there and elected to press on to Real. As you can see in the pictures we've made the hotel by about 6:00PM. From Real you can go to Zacatecas, Guanajuato, Xilitla all in an even easier day of riding.

As to how many days there... That depends on the kind of traveler you are. Some like to see 22 countries in two weeks of a euro bus tour, others would spend the same 14 days in a quite village and enjoy every day. Two full days should be just right for someone of my temperament. Your's might be different.

As to the things to do, you can walk the streets, take a horse (or a motorcycle) trip to the Ghost Town, take another to the mountain (I would not take a Wee there!). See the gallery in the old mint building, if you are into that sort of thing, the art there is pretty good. I was tempted to purchase a piece there but did not have the means to carry it home.

Also make sure your visit does not overlap with the St Fransis event, I hear that it is in the fall. It might get pretty crowded then.

Great report!! Thanks for sharing.
+3 on the Indio beer :sun:

Back