• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Shoei RF1100

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
The other day I realized the bike needed an oil change. Then I realized how sad it was that I barely have 7K miles on a 4 year old bike. Then I realized how I spent $450 on a lid half a year ago so I'd have a reason to ride more.

Anyways, I've probably put around 500 miles on the Shoei RF1100 and love it. It's my first expensive helmet. Previous helmets were AGV, HJC something, Scorpion EXo700, then this Shoei.

First thing is how light it is compared to my old lids. The Scorpion would whistle and blast air in my eyes and face when I did head checks at speed (unfaired Triumph). This one is solid. At slow speeds you can already feel the ventilation.

It's comfortable, fits well and, the lens is optically clear. Only thing I liked more about the Scorpion was the anti-fog shield. But with the great ventilation the Shoei provides, it clears it up pretty quickly. Definitely not enough to miss the Scorpion. Is it worth that many times more than a Scorpion?

I dunno.

This isn't a dig on the Shoei because it is a great fitting, quality light weight helmet with great paint, removable liner and great ventilation. The Scorpion EXO700 is just a great helmet for the dollar.

It's really sad to so few miles on a triple! Smoothest engine on the planet. Hope you put that helmet - and the triple - to lots more good riding. :rider:

Another sad story is the ammo I picked up from hasn't been shot up yet. Going on two years.

That's OK.... I rode my bicycle more than my motorcycle in July.

hijack over....

I got my Shoei RF1100 last week, the charcoal color. I love me this helmet, it's supremely comfortable!! I generally use a full face on colder days, and this is a nice helmet.

I also bought a new HJC FS-3 from Stubb's, I like the open face for warm days. It's also very comfortable and has effective vents.

I just got my brand spanky new Axis Yellow RF-1100. It's replacing my near 5 year old RF-1000, which has been a terrific helmet. It's a great relationship with a helmet when you barely ever needed it... The rock chips it saved me from, I'm eternally grateful for the service. I'm a full face helmet guy, all year long. I'd rather be hot than potentially scrape my face on the pavement. I'm not pretty now, I sure don't need to be uglier.

Now, it's December. I haven't yet ridden the RF-1100 with any vents open. It's supposed to get into the 70s tomorrow, so I'll be able to test the vents without freezing my head. LOL

But I will say... It's quiet. It's comfortable - but I'll admit that I only wear Shoei helmets. I've had an RF-900, an X-9, an RF-1000.... Shoei fits my head perfectly. It's GORGEOUS. The lines are keen, the vents look cool as heck. The visor is perfect, clear, no warping of light... I really can't add much at all to the stellar reviews that this helmet has received but to say I CONCUR!

41p5m79ae5L._SS400_.jpg

The new RF-1100 is nice. I got my first Shoei almost 30 years ago. The fit was the thing, along with the high quality.

Got away from the brand with Nolan flip-ups and my Shark RSI (another great lid, high quality and great fit). I'll be retiring the Shark after this next year. The RF-11 is on my list of replacements.

Wife had an old RF800 and it was a good helmet for its time.

I'm a big Shark Helmet fan. The weight difference between the RSF and the Scorpion EXO700 was pretty noticable. Vents and fit and finish are better too. You can find some Sharks on closeout and I'm on my 2nd one. I need a third to match the color of the 919.

That said, I keep hearing great things of the RF1100.

One thing I've always heard from people who got some of the less expensive helmets was that they were happy with the helmet "for the money" but because of some of the less-than-perfect aspects, they sometimes didn't wear the helmet.

I always felt that the $400 helmet you wear is cheaper than the $200 helmet you don't wear.

Not suggesting that some people aren't truly happy with certain helmet lines that are less expensive. But if one FEELs one is settling, one is settling.

I got this RF-1100 for $330 shipped to me. I was really pleased with the price.

Edit 12/9

The vents work like a dream. It's like a cyclone in my helmet. Simply the best venting I've ever experienced.

Last edited:
Just replaced my R1000 with a RF1100 due to an "incident" My observations so far are that the RF1100 is heavier, the insert to prevent fogging is all rubber and smells and I get a whistling unless I slam the shield down. The venting is better and I'm sure that the whistling will subside over time as the seal wears in or when I take the time to make the necessary adjustments to the hinge mechanism. Fit and finish is as expected by Shoei.

I wish I could wear a Shoei as I've always liked the way they look and the price is right. Unfortunately I have an Arai head shape and limited in what I can wear.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Arai Profile helmet but wish I had more than one hemet model that fit my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

........I get a whistling unless I slam the shield down. ......i.
Just a thought, and please understand I mean no disrespect at all, but you might want to take a look at the owners manual. I also have the 1100 and on the left side of the shield at the hinge, there is a lever that allows the shield to clear the gasket by about an 1/8 of an inch to provide extra draft. If this is cracked int eh open position, the whistling is audible. If you flip the lever as indicated int he owners manual the seal is tight and sounds is reduced to a low white noise level...just a thought ad something you may want to check out.

I always tend to go back to Shoei when trying out other brands.....only a few really compare.

Just a thought, and please understand I mean no disrespect at all, but you might want to take a look at the owners manual. I also have the 1100 and on the left side of the shield at the hinge, there is a lever that allows the shield to clear the gasket by about an 1/8 of an inch to provide extra draft. If this is cracked int eh open position, the whistling is audible. If you flip the lever as indicated int he owners manual the seal is tight and sounds is reduced to a low white noise level...just a thought ad something you may want to check out.

No offense taken. As per my post I said "when I take the time to make the necessary adjustments to the hinge mechanism" Page 5 of the manual describes the the procedure for adjusting the hinge to reduce noise.

If you don't like the rubber breath guard, pop it out. Unless its really really cold I don't use mine.

If you don't like the rubber breath guard, pop it out. Unless its really really cold I don't use mine.

I use the extra large canvas-like breath guard from another helmet in the place of the OEM rubber one. It can be moved under the nose with a slight push of the finger and also serves to protect the bottom half of the nose from sunburn.

RB

I am trying to locate myRF1000 breath guard. I believe it had a fabric covering. The RF1100 does not have the covering, hence the rubber smell. Nothing wrong with either, just an observation.

I am trying to locate myRF1000 breath guard. I believe it had a fabric covering. The RF1100 does not have the covering, hence the rubber smell. Nothing wrong with either, just an observation.

The breath guard from the 1000 should work dandy, if you want to use it.

RB

Shoei Customer Support #456

What I meant was that the breath guard is a plastic bit... most kinds of plastics made in the modern world have some sort of smell to them which is usually the strongest when they're new. Even food grade plastic has an oder when it's new. It goes away. Just like new car smell goes away...because the new bits lose that pungent "just created" smell eventually.

Question for all you 1100 owners. I picked up the mirror shield when I purchased mine and now have the dilemma of what to store the spare in to avoid scratching. Anybody got any ideas? I want to stick the clear in my tank bag in case I am late and have to drive home in the dark. HELP!!

Question for all you 1100 owners. I picked up the mirror shield when I purchased mine and now have the dilemma of what to store the spare in to avoid scratching. Anybody got any ideas? I want to stick the clear in my tank bag in case I am late and have to drive home in the dark. HELP!!

A big sock, or purchase a "visor bag".

Back