• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Southern Utah 2023...same old thing.

Seriously, his reports aren't THAT good. Plus, he always ruins it by inserting 3 or 4 selfies of his ugly mug, and he has no pictures of cute girls because they all run away when they see him coming. That's why he wants to see your pictures, to see proof that they'll actually talk to you.

Great report, that's a nice size toy hauler for one person to use staying out in the boonies, looks like luxury to me.

You got to do food pics at restaurants so the rest of us know where to eat!

I am new to loving Utah, looks like a good time, I need to get back out there on a motorcycle.
I think you're on to something about his ugly mug and the women running away. Apparently he is trying to live vicariously through others' photo of women since most of us are highly desirable examples of attractive, manly, manhood. I'm beginning to think his avatar is a cry for help in terms of self esteem, and perhaps he is trying to compensate. Also, don't you think it strange that he wanted me to take pictures of nuns? I'm not sure what that suggests. :lol2:

gixxer, on the luxury of the toy hauler, I did mention my tag line on ADV of "Candyass Camper". But seriously, I love boondocking, and the RV allows a much longer, more comfort laden base camp with a fridge, solar panels, and so on...I'm not one of those guys with a generator. The only thing bad weather brings to me at a camp site is the inability to ride that day at the worst.

As far as "roughing it" goes, I will share a somewhat weird thing I do on these off grid trips that I'm sure many other RV'ers will think abhorrent. I do not charge the water system in the RV, and I do not use the black water waste system. For waste I use a neat, Thetford portable toilet that is pretty much similar to and the pedestal size of the toilet in the RV. Why? I don't have to worry about finding RV style dump stations. No...LOL!...I'm not throwing "my stuff" out on the ground. The portable toilet splits in half, and I can dump it in a proper toilet or even those outback forest, BLM, etc. primitive toilets. Gasp!, some might think, but I tell ya this is what the FS, BLM, etc. wants you to do and in many cases requiring you to do if you're camping in certain areas. And we all know how much we love to find "surprises" surrounding some of our favorite remote campsites. I've been using the portable toilet deal for many years even back to my truck camper top and van camping days. The capacity in the portable allows quite a few days of use...unless you've been eating at Taco Bell and such. Also you make sure you're not using some chemical in the toilet that strips paint and kills baby bunnies. These days there are good, harmless, non-toxic options.

My water needs are also quite different. I stow several of the large 5-6 gallon water jugs in the truck and keep about 3 of the smaller "spigot equipped" jugs in the RV. One sits in a holder above the twin sinks...works pretty conveniently actually. Needed hot water for washing dishes and such is just heated on the stovetop. Bathing?...I don't bathe for 3 weeks. LOL!...NO!I do not follow the KsTeve method of personal hygiene...another indicator of why the women run away. I have a high mounted holder mounted in the regular shower stall that I hang a collapsible, thick, water jug on that has a mix of cold and hot water...heated on the stovetop...to take a pretty darned effective shower. I can stand and use it, but for most of the shower I like to sit on a small, folding, camp stool. Too much information?...sorry. This also allows me to shave my legs in comfort.:shock:

What do I do with the dish and shower water? I gave this a lot of thought and came to the conclusion that this water as far as amount and content the way I do it is no different than remote camping where you're taking solar showers and washing camp cookware. But again...no...I don't just dump the gray water anywhere or leave the drain open at my camp. The gray tank holds way more volume than I'll ever fill up when camping like this at a location. When I move camp there is often a free dump station at many locations or I get creative and dump the gray water...always a very small volume since I don't have an RV full of women washing their hair...a sexist would say...at a place like a DOT gravel/material location, or similar, where environmental impact is non-existent compared to what is already there. I know this is technically illegal in most states. However, my method does not dump my cooking and washing water at the camping site like primitive campers do. My same amount of showering/cooking/cleaning water does less harm at a dump station or place like a gravel/material marshalling location than it does at the spot where I'm camping and where others will camp. Some can't get their head around it, but I do understand the concern as some campers would irresponsibly dump their gray water in some not so friendly locations. It's gray water...the same thing in the same amount you're dumping at your campsite when you primitive camp and take a small solar shower each day. So, some can get their shorts in a wad about my technique or not. I'll continue until I end up in federal prison for raping the pristine environment...gasp! I think the real problem with remote camping these days is the poop and inappropriate control of said poop. Most dish soaps and shower soaps these days are pretty darned environmentally safe. I still don't like to let it drain at a remote campsite.

I'm sorry, gixxer...I didn't mean for my response to turn into a techno babble about RV remote camping, but I do get people occasionally coming up to me in a remote camping environment and asking about how I deal with water, waste, refrigeration, electrical power, etc. And let's face it, as many of us are remote campers, it may give others some ideas and options. And let's also face it that one of the black marks causing many remote camping areas to be closed down revolves around issues like waste and campsite impact. As you can tell I'm pretty passionate about it because I've been camping, riding, 4WD'ing, backpacking, etc. out west enough decades to see walls closing in.

Sorry for the somewhat off topic rant.

1684434836121.png

Seems many BLM open space camping rules have just recently been tightened...as for "grey water" how is this any worse than taking a leak "on a rock"?

BUT...always some YAY-HOO that ruins it for everyone...yet these "rule clampdowns" always seem to occur WAY more often during communists in the white house...which ironically NONE of the DC crowd has probably ever visited NOR camped in ANY boondocking situation yet they write "rules for us" but not for themselves!

I have noticed that the TURBO UTV boyz seem to be the ones that come out to "nature" and CRAP things up and we, who are respectable stewards and all, pay the price.

Life is truly unfair. But we have to INSIST that OUR SERVANTS, the ones getting TAX DOLLAR salaries, do what WE say, not the other way around.

GREAT REPORT! I'm planning a trip out there as I read this.

I'm going to add something on the Montezuma Creek Road route. After doing some Google sat map checking on that route I'd make a suggestion. Do it in the fall or at least sometime other than a decent snow melt year. Those crossings, at least two, were running at a level unsafe IMO while I was there, so I missed some parts of it. I did make it all the way from Perkins Road to the south out of Blanding, but had to jump out twice from Montezuma Creek Road itself to make reconnects further north as I went and connected back to hwy 191 in the north. Google sat maps show those crossings dry at the time of exposure, and it would have been an even better ride. This is truly a spectacular ride with awesome scenery, and it is easy to get to either via its start in the north at 191 or south at Perkins Road out of Blanding. I would also recommend taking at least the one side canyon route of Dead Man's Canyon off of Montezuma and do it as an up and back down to continue on Montezuma...pretty cool diversion. And even if you're not an HGTV kind of person, toward the north end of the route you'll see some spectacular homes built into the canyon walls...but maybe with a little more Gucci flair than the Anasazi did it. :D

Hello TNC
Nice ride report and pic's (I'm jealous) So I met you around March 12th at Loma Peloma in Presidio - my buddy and I were in the two Sprinter vans with the KTM 500's
This was the day before you left to go back to Abilene - nice to see your out and about riding and enjoying the 650 !!!

Hello TNC
Nice ride report and pic's (I'm jealous) So I met you around March 12th at Loma Peloma in Presidio - my buddy and I were in the two Sprinter vans with the KTM 500's
This was the day before you left to go back to Abilene - nice to see your out and about riding and enjoying the 650 !!!
Hey, good to hear from you. Man, was that catfish fry an awesome feed or what? I love that camping spot. The people have always been super friendly and hospitable. The location ain't bad either for trips into the BBRSP, Pinto Canyon, or Chispa. Did y'alls trips into the ranch SP work out well? Next to southern Utah, BB is one of my favorites, and I never tire of it.

Hey, good to hear from you. Man, was that catfish fry an awesome feed or what? I love that camping spot. The people have always been super friendly and hospitable. The location ain't bad either for trips into the BBRSP, Pinto Canyon, or Chispa. Did y'alls trips into the ranch SP work out well? Next to southern Utah, BB is one of my favorites, and I never tire of it.

Yes Sir
We rode two days in BBRSP and Pinto Canyon Rd and then camped at Heath Canyon right on the Rio Grande and rode in Black Gap WMA for a couple days - We had a great trip as the weather was perfect too

Plan on hitting Utah in the very near future

Back