• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Strom a Thon 2015 in the book

Strom A Delic idea...

I vote for late Sept or early Oct

I'm in!

After all, we're all fairly local and it's not terribly difficult to meet up for a weekend. Early October is ideal, it's starting to cool off about then.

PS... great job on the Sunday tour Mr2!

Big Bend? Heck, that's practically in my back yard compared to Llano (well, a tad over 500 miles) so I'm IN. Plus, my Bill Mayer seat came in (after last weekend of course).

cant remember when I've had so much fun riding. special thanks to rod for leading us on some great rides. If everyone enjoyed it 1/2 as much as me then I enjoyed it twice as much as you. And I know I drank too much beer cause Sunday everyone was talking about the trip to Big Bend we planned. When did that happen?

Last edited:
Geez Stroked, you'd think you would have learned about carrying tire plugs after last year!

Good to see you, briefly.

It was really great to see some familiar faces and meet some new ones.
Its hard to have more good times that a solid weekend of riding with some friends.

I'm terrible with names, but the guys from Killeen Tx that came out for the first time and rode dirt with a few of us Saturday - Great to meet you, i'll get a better thought out plan for a route next time. (hopefully avoiding a 70 minute wait for a burger at lunch)

DerrickJ - who we ran into at Harrys on the Loop - awesome custom Matte Green Tenere - look forward to seeing you again.

The "Crew" who provided emotional support and a tire plug at Castell - thanks again. I ordered one of those StopnGo kits. That thing works beautifully.

Rod and Lee - Excellent job again. My helmet is off to you guys.

Geez Stroked, you'd think you would have learned about carrying tire plugs after last year!

Good to see you, briefly.
Oh I had some, but they were under my seat. Which means I have to undo a bunch of crap to get to them at that point. Somebody else had them out by the time I pulled my pliers to take nail out.

... never again without a pump and a patch kit.

We should have a Strom-a-thon twice a year.

Lets have one in Santa Fe ! It will save one rider from coming to Tx (for the day:doh: ) and we can all leave the heat for a little while:rider:

I am happy to do some organizing on this end, maybe in the Sacramento Mountains (lots of "color" in that area on the Butler map). It's a bit of a drive from a lot of you in the Austin/Dallas areas, but if you're up for it I'll do a pre-run weekend and learn some roads and get some info on a good base location. There are a number of RV Parks/campgrounds in Ruidoso, where there are also hotels, so maybe that is a good base.

That close to home I'll be tempted to take the DR instead of the DL!

Late September/Early October? :rider:

Lets have one in Santa Fe ! It will save one rider from coming to Tx (for the day:doh: ) and we can all leave the heat for a little while:rider:

Last edited:
I love the Ruidoso/Cloudcroft area, and have ridden pretty much everything there that's paved. I've camped Santa Fe & surrounding area several times, but never been there on a bike. I've always wanted to go out & ride the roads around Los Alamos. I'm thinking Hyde State Park, above Santa Fe, might be a good place to base from.

Hyde Park is only a few miles from my house, and there is lots of great riding up here right out my back door, as well as other areas on Northern NM, so that works for me too, with the added incentive of a cookout at Casa de SantaFeTrailer one or more nights. One downside is that cheap motels don't really exist in Santa Fe, and those that are reasonably priced are on the other side of town. I've only got one guest bedroom, with one bed in it, but anyone who wants to take advantage of it is welcome to and I am not one to ask questions, so long as the door is closed so my kids don't get scarred for life.

I know about "cheap motels" in SF. Last time I took one, it was such a dirty dive that my wife & daughter both refused to use the shower.

I'm sure you know the goat paths; I wouldn't have a clue. But there are sure a lot of great day loops there. Out to Las Alamos, over to Taos, up above Las Vegas into the national forest, even a run up to Chama - yeah, I could really enjoy this.

You probably know some good places to stay. I mentioned Hyde Park because it's cheap, accessible, some of the sites have shelters in them, and it's open well past Labor Day when all the NF campgrounds are boarding up for the winter. But it might make more sense to make group arrangements to take over a private RV park where we'd have showers & possibly electric plug-ins. That's way off season for them, so we might be able to cut a really good deal.

Well, I didn't do anything about making this happen. It was a crazy busy fall for me. There is always next fall.

Anywhoo - is the Strom-a-Thon 2016 thread up yet?

I am happy to do some organizing on this end, maybe in the Sacramento Mountains (lots of "color" in that area on the Butler map). It's a bit of a drive from a lot of you in the Austin/Dallas areas, but if you're up for it I'll do a pre-run weekend and learn some roads and get some info on a good base location. There are a number of RV Parks/campgrounds in Ruidoso, where there are also hotels, so maybe that is a good base.

That close to home I'll be tempted to take the DR instead of the DL!

Late September/Early October? :rider:

Well, I didn't do anything about making this happen. It was a crazy busy fall for me. There is always next fall.

Anywhoo - is the Strom-a-Thon 2016 thread up yet?

Realistically, for a whole bunch of people from roughly along the I-35 corridor to make it to your side of the world, it has to be laid out at your end, and some commitments made at our end, several months in advance. In other words, if you want to try to pull it off, probably put a stake in the ground now & let's see what happens. If, instead of the Santa Fe area, you move it eastward - maybe around Cloudcroft-Ruidoso - the shortened distance may sweeten the pot enough to bring a few more people.

Agreed. I think Sacramento Mountains makes more sense. I will post up a thread in the spring, invite anyone for a recon weekend and go from there with an October timeframe.

Ohhh! (rubs hands together enthusiastically)..

I hope this materializes. This could be epic!

I can usually get time off in October... (Early to mid Oct please if possible...)

If we're camping, the earlier the better. It gets a bit chilly up in the Lincoln that time of year.

Agreed.

OK, I am going to post up a new thread exploring weekends in September. I will then proceed to do probably 2 weekends down there this summer to plan out some rides and lodging. FYI, there is major "G1/G2" road density (per Butler) in the Sacramento Mountains, and the NM Backcountry Discovery Route goes right through there for those wanting to get a little dirty.

This will be a fun one!

If we're camping, the earlier the better. It gets a bit chilly up in the Lincoln that time of year.

Last edited:

Ha, Tim, whaddya bet our first ride together will be out of the freakin state? What, Texas ain't big enuf for the both of us? lol

Folks, Tim and I have had 3 years so far, of sharing views and posts and motorsickle parts and we have not once, yet, actually met face to face or rode together. Maybe it'll happen in NM.

Folks, Tim and I have had 3 years so far, of sharing views and posts and motorsickle parts and we have not once, yet, actually met face to face or rode together. Maybe it'll happen in NM.

Strange because I met you both on the same day.

Agreed.

OK, I am going to post up a new thread exploring weekends in September. I will then proceed to do probably 2 weekends down there this summer to plan out some rides and lodging. FYI, there is major "G1/G2" road density (per Butler) in the Sacramento Mountains, and the NM Backcountry Discovery Route goes right through there for those wanting to get a little dirty.

This will be a fun one!

I've ridden a little bit of gravel around Cloudcroft, but there's a lot of heavy stuff there that's the province of the KLR/knobby crowd - no place for a timid Texas boy with a 480 lb bike. But in the area around Cloudcroft, Ruidoso, and in between, are a couple of hundred miles of some of the glassiest pavement and best sweepers anywhere. I hope I can manage to be there.

Ha, Tim, whaddya bet our first ride together will be out of the freakin state? What, Texas ain't big enuf for the both of us? lol

Rode together, no. Met? We met at Strom 1. And just last summer at the Fairfield Pie Run, you hugged some ruggedly handsome devil on a black Strom - I sure thought it was me, but I've been wrong before. :ponder:

I've ridden a little bit of gravel around Cloudcroft, but there's a lot of heavy stuff there that's the province of the KLR/knobby crowd - no place for a timid Texas boy with a 480 lb bike. But in the area around Cloudcroft, Ruidoso, and in between, are a couple of hundred miles of some of the glassiest pavement and best sweepers anywhere. I hope I can manage to be there.

Rode together, no. Met? We met at Strom 1. And just last summer at the Fairfield Pie Run, you hugged some ruggedly handsome devil on a black Strom - I sure thought it was me, but I've been wrong before. :ponder:

Aw, crap. Apologies. I remember now. I'll pull my foot outta my mouth after a few minutes....

Aw, crap. Apologies. I remember now. I'll pull my foot outta my mouth after a few minutes....

She lost some of her long term memory when she had the fall at Hidden Falls. Yeah! That's right!

Back