• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas T's Tumultuous Texas Trip

Boogity Boogity Boogity... over 2000 miles and a moving average of 72 miles an hour

Dare I say you had more visitation time with some good guys then you would have if you spent time riding on the pie run.

Boogity Boogity Boogity... over 2000 miles and a moving average of 72 miles an hour
It would have been higher, but riding the back woods of Texas in the dark tends to put a serious cramp in my speed. Plus, there were only a few sections of interstate that are posted at 65; most everything is 75 and up.

I had to laugh along with this story. I too, often try to sneak in extra miles on a tire, especially when I was in the tire a month club for years. I'd worry about it the whole dang ride as a result. I'd be checking it at each fuel stop and looking for signs of deterioration, then finally realizing "ok, looks like I can reliably pick up the pace as it will make it home". I keep saying never again but I keep doing it, to avoid throwing away $50 of tire life.

What a ride!! Awesome report! Sorry I missed seeing you and shaking your hand? Although I did get a pic of your bike! The yellow '01 is mine! Looks like you have the Windbender shield as well?

Thanks for taking the time for the ride report, it was a great read and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Texas T, I shook your hand as you entered the Koffee Kup (the old man with the semi scalped, white hair sitting across from Drew and Bob). It was great to meet a motorcyclist who rides way beyond my abilities. Your ride report, in such detail, with telling pictures of contrasting motel rooms, was great. The one of your Goldwing parked, solitarily, in front of the Koffee Kup way before dawn is a classic one for your kind of distance riding. It captured what I think is the essence of your cross country rides: independence, solitude, fortitude, seeing your surroundings in a different light. A great ride report that brought us along.

What a ride!! Awesome report! Sorry I missed seeing you and shaking your hand? Although I did get a pic of your bike! The yellow '01 is mine! Looks like you have the Windbender shield as well?

IMG_0379.JPG
Hey Marty, thanks for the kind words. Yes, it's a Windbender and I really do like it a lot. For any Wing owners considering the purchase of one, I highly recommend NOT getting the tinted one. I got this one used for a good price, not thinking about the implications of the tint. When it's night, and raining, and you're riding on dark asphalt and not light colored concrete, and you need to see what's directly in front of you... this is not the option to choose. Windbender now has an electric option, but I personally don't see the need for it. Mine is set to the lowest setting and it works well for me, rain or shine.

Some folks may look at the stickers and wonder what they represent, so...
All the little flags represent the US states and Canadian provinces I've ridden in. The remaining ones are HI, AK, and the New England states. Alaska will be in June, while also capturing British Columbia. The New England states will be in September as I'm riding to Gettysburg for the annual meeting. Hawaii "may" be this year, but most likely next year. I'll fly over (courtesy of a friend that works for AA), rent a bike, ride the island, and then fly home. Unless the wife goes, and in which case we'll probably stay a couple of days. (happy wife, happy life)

Below the little stickers left to right...
I was a certifying witness to Alex Schmidt's SaddleSore 1000 done entirely within the city limits of Phoenix. People tend to think of Phoenix the way they think of DFW or Houston, but just like Dallas, Fort Worth or Houston, Phoenix is just one small part of the entire metro area. The loop to stay entirely within the city limits of Phoenix is approx 65 miles, and we used sets of witnesses at various points around this loop to verify his progress for certification purposes. The larger sticker to the right of that was when he did a Bun Burner Gold (1500+ miles in under 24 hours) on that same loop.

Next up is my SS2K: 2,000+ miles in under 48 hours. This was a "nested" ride when I did my (next sticker) 50 CC (San Diego to Jacksonville) in under 50 hours, so I actually received two certificates on this ride.

The Mile Eater is just part of doing multiple IBA rides, and there are various levels of this.

The big oval 344 is my Tour Of Honor rider number. The 344 is in honor of my dad's bombardment sqdn during the Korean War. Here's that sticker on the back of the bike:
344th.jpg

The Arizona and NM stickers in the center nose of the bike are from SaddleSore 1000 rides done entirely within the boundary limits of those states. Both of those were obtained during Tour Of Honor Extreme SaddleSores in which I obtained all 7 Memorial sites within each state in a 24 hour period. They are referred to as Extreme SaddleSores because you're not only riding 1,000+ miles in 24 hours (piece of cake), you're doing it while riding in various out-of-the-way rural towns because you have to stop and get a photo of the memorial along with your bike and flag. An easy SS1K can be done on the Interstate in 16 hours. The longest Extreme SS I've done was over 22 hours.

Last edited:
Texas T, I shook your hand as you entered the Koffee Kup (the old man with the semi scalped, white hair sitting across from Drew and Bob). It was great to meet a motorcyclist who rides way beyond my abilities. Your ride report, in such detail, with telling pictures of contrasting motel rooms, was great. The one of your Goldwing parked, solitarily, in front of the Koffee Kup way before dawn is a classic one for your kind of distance riding. It captured what I think is the essence of your cross country rides: independence, solitude, fortitude, seeing your surroundings in a different light. A great ride report that brought us along.
Thank you, Robert.

Brian, You used logic and intelligence together in sentence about me? I don't think that's ever been done before.
Oh , by the way I'm back in Austin for the semester, got a class. It's a long story.
Tom

We're probably not going up to the mountains (much) this year. We've got a remodel to do on the place we bought in Sun Lakes, the Tour Of Honor ride in April, and a trip to Alaska in June, followed by a trip to New England in September, so we're probably going to be around for local rides if you're interested. When do you get back?

Probably around the first of June or so. Wow, a trip to Alaska. I know one other that did Alaska [Tinstar] and he loved it.
Tom

That's true. I just didn't want to be "that guy" that impacted everyone else's planned good time because of my poor judgment. :oops:

My Wally World discount goes away for good next week, so last night I ordered THREE new Avon front tires from our website. That should get me through the next 18 - 24 months or so.

I have to replace the Darkside tire as well, but since I have Discount Tire do the mounting I'll buy the tire through them as well. They have a good price match policy and they will match WM's price. It would still be another $15 cheaper to buy through WM with my discount, but I've been dealing with Discount Tire since 1978 and I'm a "happy customer".
small suggestion. double bag them in garbage bags to protect them from ozone.

I had to laugh along with this story. I too, often try to sneak in extra miles on a tire, especially when I was in the tire a month club for years. I'd worry about it the whole dang ride as a result. I'd be checking it at each fuel stop and looking for signs of deterioration, then finally realizing "ok, looks like I can reliably pick up the pace as it will make it home". I keep saying never again but I keep doing it, to avoid throwing away $50 of tire life.

Yeah, if I don’t have confidence in my tires, I don’t ride as well. My TPMS light came on in Joshua Tree NP last week. Hmm. [emoji848] I pushed the button on the display and it informed me that my tire pressure was “out of the normal range”. It showed my front tire had 74psi in it. Since I had started with 37 that morning, I found this interesting that my tire had made air. A lot of air. I stopped and visually examined the tire. Everything was normal, so it’s a bad TMPS sensor. Oh joy.

So even though I knew the tire was completely fine, it affected the way I rode. I slowed down quite a bit. Eventually the sensor “came to its senses” and the light went off.

The next day I had signs warning me “Icy Roads”. Even though the roads were dry and the temp was in the upper 50s, I was uncomfortable going too fast.

Mind games. They are real. [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found you a new sensor for your BMW
passenger-tire-pressure-gauge-6-50-psi-1_1024x1024.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist

I might just turn off the tmps or cover the indicator with black tape when it fails. At least until I change the front tire. The rear sensor failed while it was under warranty.

Back