• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Adventure Begins... Tejas A La Tierra

Re: The Adventure Begins... From a blog to a book

I have really enjoyed sharing stories and photos with each of you through my blog TheAdventureBegins.tv. Your views, comments and support have been a great encouragement to me. Who would have thought that anyone would show an interest?

Almost on a daily basis I receive feedback in person or though my website about traveling in general or about my adventures. And often people ask me... what is next?

Well... I have been thinking about writing a book. But I have been wondering if anyone, other than my mother, might buy and read a book about my travel experiences. So I thought that I would try to survey you... my family, friends and fellow adventurers.

Would you take one minute to complete this five question survey? I promise that it will take less than 30 seconds. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Don't worry, you would not be under any obligation to buy a book at this time, I'm just asking questions and trying to gauge interest.

Click here to answer... The Survey

Cheers,

Troy

There's a problem with question #2. You need to add a "select other" check box to validate the typing in the text field. Without that the form rejects the question as unanswered.

I have really enjoyed sharing stories and photos with each of you through my blog TheAdventureBegins.tv. Your views, comments and support have been a great encouragement to me. Who would have thought that anyone would show an interest?

Almost on a daily basis I receive feedback in person or though my website about traveling in general or about my adventures. And often people ask me... what is next?

Well... I have been thinking about writing a book. But I have been wondering if anyone, other than my mother, might buy and read a book about my travel experiences. So I thought that I would try to survey you... my family, friends and fellow adventurers.

Would you take one minute to complete this five question survey? I promise that it will take less than 30 seconds. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Don't worry, you would not be under any obligation to buy a book at this time, I'm just asking questions and trying to gauge interest.

Click here to answer... The Survey

Cheers,

Troy

Hey Troy, I've only had a short look around your site and I'm sure folks would buy your book... but I'd like to offer a suggestion from my own experience.

Unless you can get pre-orders and produce your book in bulk, it's tough to get the unit cost down to where you can tack on much margin and still sell the book. It's worth having a hard copy for sure. However, I think you should do two versions. One that's printed and focuses on the photography with some text from the trip. And a second one that's only an electronic PDF version. Put all the trip info, tips, how-to's, guide stuff... in that one with only minimal photography to keep the file size down.

With no printing costs, you can sell that at a lower rate and folks thinking of taking similar trip can either print out the parts they want to reference, or travel with your whole guide in PDF form on their phones, laptops, or tablets. You could easily do an iBook or app, but it'd likely be better to keep it more universally readable in PDF. Then, add links to page on your site selling the PDF and/or print version to all your YouTube video descriptions... adding more tags reference the guide book with samples, etc.

And setting up selling digital files off your site is fairly easy. Some outfits charge a monthly fee or take a percentage of the sales. The one I use has been good to work with and they update the back end regularly. It's also free for low-volume, and very reasonable if you go beyond to higher volume.

This is the one I've been using for a couple years: http://www.ecwid.com/?gclid=CI6HtZHvpLcCFVTl7Aod01kAAw

You could also add a link and/or buy button to the hard copy print version within the PDF.

Just some ideas. :)

We just took the survey, it didn't ask "if you would buy this book for my mother". :lol2:
But we would.. We loved your stories and the pictures. For example, we loved the story of you cooking oriental food for the locals using just the ingredients they provided. You are a very descriptive writer, and had us looking forward to the next chapter. So now we are looking forward to the book. :thumb:

Sam & Shirley

There's a problem with question #2. You need to add a "select other" check box to validate the typing in the text field. Without that the form rejects the question as unanswered.

Thanks Philip, I looked into it and think that I have resolved the issue.

Hey Troy, I've only had a short look around your site and I'm sure folks would buy your book... but I'd like to offer a suggestion from my own experience.

Unless you can get pre-orders and produce your book in bulk, it's tough to get the unit cost down to where you can tack on much margin and still sell the book. It's worth having a hard copy for sure. However, I think you should do two versions. One that's printed and focuses on the photography with some text from the trip. And a second one that's only an electronic PDF version. Put all the trip info, tips, how-to's, guide stuff... in that one with only minimal photography to keep the file size down.

With no printing costs, you can sell that at a lower rate and folks thinking of taking similar trip can either print out the parts they want to reference, or travel with your whole guide in PDF form on their phones, laptops, or tablets. You could easily do an iBook or app, but it'd likely be better to keep it more universally readable in PDF. Then, add links to page on your site selling the PDF and/or print version to all your YouTube video descriptions... adding more tags reference the guide book with samples, etc.

And setting up selling digital files off your site is fairly easy. Some outfits charge a monthly fee or take a percentage of the sales. The one I use has been good to work with and they update the back end regularly. It's also free for low-volume, and very reasonable if you go beyond to higher volume.

This is the one I've been using for a couple years: http://www.ecwid.com/?gclid=CI6HtZHvpLcCFVTl7Aod01kAAw

You could also add a link and/or buy button to the hard copy print version within the PDF.

Just some ideas. :)

Skip, thanks for the suggestion. My sister had the same suggestion. I was thinking about this today and I think that it might be a good approach.

We just took the survey, it didn't ask "if you would buy this book for my mother". :lol2:
But we would.. We loved your stories and the pictures. For example, we loved the story of you cooking oriental food for the locals using just the ingredients they provided. You are a very descriptive writer, and had us looking forward to the next chapter. So now we are looking forward to the book. :thumb:

Sam & Shirley

Thanks Sam :thumb:

Sam & Shirley

That part really stood out for me as well!

I also really liked that you were able to take time to explore the areas you visited rather than just passing through. The museums, architecture, local history, etc,... were all really cool. Also liked the Antarctic trip!

That part really stood out for me as well!

I also really liked that you were able to take time to explore the areas you visited rather than just passing through. The museums, architecture, local history, etc,... were all really cool. Also liked the Antarctic trip!

Thanks Scott, I always appreciate your comments and support.

Troy,

I just joined this forum and someone here had linked to this thread about your adventure. I have been up past midnight for the last couple of evenings reading about your trip through the southern hemisphere. I have lived abroad, love to travel and experience different cultures, foods, etc. However, I have never gone such a great distance on a motorcycle...your trip is totally epic! Thank you for sharing it with the rest of us. You are a true adventurer!

Phil

Troy,

I just joined this forum and someone here had linked to this thread about your adventure. I have been up past midnight for the last couple of evenings reading about your trip through the southern hemisphere. I have lived abroad, love to travel and experience different cultures, foods, etc. However, I have never gone such a great distance on a motorcycle...your trip is totally epic! Thank you for sharing it with the rest of us. You are a true adventurer!

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for following along. Looking back at my adventure in total, it was truly an amazing experience for me. However, once I started the trip and throughout the trip I just took it day to day and mile to mile.

It was just the right time for me. And I always encourage others that it might be the right time for them soon... any it might be your turn soon.

Cheers,

Troy

Re: The Adventure Begins... A Conversation with Adventure Motorcyclist David C. Parki

904565_10101523241119414_748469798_o+(3).jpg

I recently had the opportunity to chat with a fellow adventure motorcyclist named David C. Parkinson. I thought that some of you might be interested in what we talked about.

David, tell me why?
Ever heard of the Langston Hughes poem "A Dream Deferred?" Hughes mulls on what happens to deferred dreams. Doing this motorcycle adventure to South America was my deferred dream... I had always wanted to go on a long trip from when I was a little boy. In college I had an opportunity but started a company instead. When I left my job at Microsoft I had another opportunity but started anothre company instead. I knew at some point I had to make this happen; or else I would never travel and my dream deferred might shrivel up or explode!
f.jpg

The best thing about my motorcycle is…
I ride a 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom. It's incredibly reliable. I have put 20,000 of the most difficult miles for any motorcycle to take but the V-Strom keeps coming back for more.

The worst thing about my motorcycle is…
At 250kg dry, without gas and gear. It's a bit heavy for off-roading but that hasn't stopped me from taking it plenty of places it was never intended to go!

I cannot travel without…
My Charles Schwab check card. This is a travel secret everyone should know about. It's one of the only cards I know of that you pay 0% foreign transaction fees on, is free to use at all ATMs worldwide, and finally they'll reimburse you for the ATM fees the ATMs charge you. So essentially you can get money out for free, whenever you want, whatever country you're in (no limits). The account is free (you must set up a brokerage account and a checking account) with no minimums. What I do is transfer $1000-2000 into my Schwab account to cover a month's expenses. With this technique you stop thinking about the ATM charge as they are reimbursed at the end of the month, and it makes it easier when you know you will be exiting a country not to have too much currency left over.

When I’m riding solo, I think about…
What a lucky ******* I am to have the opportunity to travel by motorcycle in Central and South America. More people should travel this way!

I like it when I ride into a town and…
See the smiles on people's faces. There's something about a motorcycle that just cheers everyone up.

I would like to go back to…
Mexico, Colombia, Nicaragua. I was in love with Colombia and spent nearly 6 months there!

I was surprised to find out that…
Almost anything can be repaired. When abroad, it's normally the case that repairing your items is far cheaper than buying new items. Locals' ingenuity have repaired everything from my tent, my motorcycle, my watch, my aluminum panniers, to my GPS.
g.jpg

My attitude about travel is…
Do it when you have the opportunity.

The single most important thing that I could tell someone is…
When you like a place; stay there for awhile. When you meet a person you like, stay there for awhile. It's great travel advice that I wish I had followed more often.

You can read more about David and his adventures at his website www.davidparkinson.com

Re: The Adventure Begins... Hammock Camping for the Adventure Motorcyclist

Check it out, fellow Adventure Motorcyclist David Parkinson wrote this review about hammock camping and about the Hennessy Deep Jungle XL Hammock for TheAdventureBegins.tv.

See the video

About Hammock Camping
After a long day of riding a motorcycle in a foreign country... you’re tired... you’re exhausted. When the sun starts to set, the last thing you want to think about is finding a flat and dry place to set up your camp shelter - setting up your tent, moving your gear inside and inflating your air pad. Over the last twenty months of riding my motorcycle from Seattle, Washington to Buenos Aires Argentina, I’ve spent many nights camping underneath the stars, mostly ‘stealth camping’. For the uninitiated, that means camping where there is no official campground. While I love stealth camping, it can get tiring, especially when you’re spending 20 minutes to setup and another 20 minutes to break down. After 20 months of packing and unpacking, I admit I don’t particularly enjoy the shelter setup or breakdown process.
5HUyhX4BAJ7r65pqqJDdKVoJeH-bRaA_Zl-allEH0J3I2pKyL4SSu7sK90JxHEkwK8bnV1-q8ChHTXifgHjkEcoKu4Eug_IW.jpg

(Eno DoubleNest Hammock)

But when I left the States, I didn’t just have a tent, I had a hammock! The motto of the Boy Scouts is “Be Prepared.” So, with that in mind, before I left the US I bought a Eno Doublenest Hammock and an accompanying Eno Guardian Bug Net. During 20 months on the road, I spent about 20 nights in this setup. While the setup process differed from that of setting up my tent, I didn’t notice significant time savings, nor did I have a good fly for the hammock, which meant I got rained on a few times. Also, adjusting the hammock was a pain as I had to tie and re-tie knots with webbing each time. When I lost some of my better webbing, I bought inferior nylon webbing, which resulted in me being dumped forcibly on the ground more than once. Also, it was difficult to get the knots out of my webbing once the hammock had been loaded. I cannot recommend these for the motorcycling traveler.

I needed a better solution. I’m currently plotting a motorcycle trip from Buenos Aires, Argentina through Brazil and Venezuela. I did a lot of research on the perfect hammock at hammockforums.net. The two best brands discussed most often were Hennessy and Warbonnet. What sets these two brands apart from the rest, other than their inherent quality, is that they each have a bug net integrated with the hammock. This means no separate bug net at setup/breakdown time. I decided to go with the Hennessy Deep Jungle XL for two reasons: At the time of my writing, 1. The Warbonnet hammocks required a 3-4 week lead time to purchase and receive a hammock, and one must buy a tarp separately. 2. The Hennessy hammocks were readily available and ship with a tarp.
GKjGrlwoDbLzQ31STKQ6CjcgNnVklfizMYQ3Tq1bnocHbi7XgHC2uPetFf-2XjFqh_l50rPnDwQTsmIN2nzwdVhO3rbTiLA5.jpg

(Hennessy Deep Jungle XL Hammock)

Here are my initial thoughts on the Hennessy Deep Jungle XL Hammock. I will also post a follow-up review after I’ve used it more extensively along the beaches and jungles of Brazil and Venezuela.

Features and Functions
Pack size/weight: I think I can scrunch the whole setup to the size of a football... and this package includes the fly as well! It weighs in at 2 pounds 13 ounces, less than one half of the weight of my REI Half Dome 2 Plus tent!

Pouch in the hammock: You can hang gear like your keys, tablet and head lamp in the integrated movable pouch that hangs on the ridgeline of your hammock.

SnakeSkins (integrated stuff sack): These are basically nylon stuff sacks that you place on your hammock line that make packing the hammock a simple matter of sliding them over the hammock.

Bubble Asym Pad: The hammock ships with an integrated bubble pad for cold weather camping. I plan on using my hammock in hot or tropic environments so I can’t comment on this.

Integrated Bug Net: This saves an incredible amount of time with setup. Two zippers allow you to seal yourself in, or open the bug net and drape it. Before, I had to run a ridge line, then run clips, then hang the bug net. In addition, my previous hammock took up more space in my motorcycle panniers because the bug net was separate.

Double Layer Hammock Material: Mosquitos are a pesky bunch and, believe it or not, they can actually bite through a single layer of material. When buying a hammock, I recommend you purchase a double layered hammock.

Fly Included: There is a rain fly included so you have a complete sleeping system. If weight and size are not an issue, many people opt to use a hex tarp.
-OfupRwxdEadbOuTQLjv88rv1KBZjbTBunqww6dWLFON0Z_mxKf_k2ynU6dhuatS4l1HG4GQH1oLmaHkHcxQs7p0PlLek1Mk.jpg

Fast Setup/Breakdown with Single Ring Suspension: When it comes to hanging the Hennessy, the generally accepted model is their figure 8 lashing, which keeps their cord brand new. The only downside to this method is that it is not adjustable. I wanted something that’s easy to tie, easy to un-tie and adjustable for those times when one end of the hammock hangs too low or too high. You can read more about this dilemma here. This suspension system has made setup of the hammock no more than a few minutes. Hennesey doesn’t recommend this system as it can lead to cord damage.

Pros

Fast setup and breakdown
Integrated bug net
Great nights sleep! (I spent last night in the hammock here in the hot muggy weather of Kansas, I’m hoping it was a good test for Brazil)
Complete out of the box: comes with everything you need out of the box... nothing else required

Cons
Lacks the footbox feature of the Warbonnet hammocks. Warbonnet hammocks feature extra material for your feet to make you lay flatter. That being said; I slept very well in the Hennessy.
Cost: it’s a bit expensive at $339.95, but the good news is there are Hennessy models starting at $99 (The Scout) I just happen to be 6’6” and needed a longer hammock. If you compare the price of the Deep Jungle XL compared to the Warbonnet + the tarp you must purchase (if you don’t want to get rained on); these top of the line hammocks are very comparable in price.

Closing Thoughts
I'm excited to take this gear to South America. I'll follow up from Brazil!

- David Parkinson

I'd like to try this, never been a huge fan but the efficiency is attractive.... as long as you're below the tree line :)

I recently purchased a hammock at Academy Sports for $20. It's available on their online store too. It is a pretty basic model made out of a nylon sheet and folds to the size of a large paperback book. I've slept in it on my trip out west for about 10 days strait and it was pretty comfortable. When I returned to sleeping in a bed I had trouble sleeping. I think it's my new favorite piece of gear.

http://m.academy.com/webapp/wcs/sto...232110_-1__?color=Wild+Blue+Yonder&N=78006367

Re: The Adventure Begins... On Any Sunday - The Movie

on-any-sunday-movie-poster-1972-1020196323.jpg

I enjoy watching films of all genres. But I must admit that I especially enjoy watching films about motorcycles and motorcycle travel. Over the next few weeks I'll be screening some of my favorite motorcycle movies. Check it out...

On Any Sunday is a classic film and perhaps one of the most nostalgic motorcycle movies of all time. The film is a documentary about the various forms of motorcycling as the sport was emerging in the 1970's. Malcolm Smith, Bert Lawwill and Steve McQueen star in many of the scenes. My favorite segment is with Malcolm Smith riding the International Six Day Trial in Spain. While the style and cinematography of the film is perhaps a bit dated, I think that the humor is timeless.

The complete film is now available for viewing on YouTube or click right here. (1:36 minutes)

If you have not already joined my blog or facebook page for TheAdventureBegins.tv, why not?
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TheAdventureBeginstv/298783000136160

If you ever get a chance to meet him, he's quite a character. Giant Loop had him come by for a presentation when I was in Bend.

Re: The Adventure Begins... Dust to Glory - The Movie

Unfortunately, YouTube has taken down this video.

Back