• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The King is dead.

Reaction score
On this year's Big Bend trip, I had the misfortune of a low-speed, hairpin turn, road debris wreck. I didn't even see what I hit, but it made the front tire jump well into the turn and moved me into the gravel shoulder. Went straight into the rocky incline off the road (at least it wasn't a cliff) and was thrown over the handle bars after a couple of big bounces. It's a very disheartening thing to stand up and turn around and find your ride lying upside down. No injuries (although a bit stiff the next day) but insurance totaled out my 08 Road King. šŸ˜„
Progressive wrote me a check and within a week, I had my new ride (2020 Street Glide Special). This is the first wreck I have ever had (40+ years of riding). I am gratful that I was not hurt. I like my new ride quite a bit. I am posting this because, sometimes ***** just happens. Experience and familiarity with your bike can help handle the unexpected, but you just can't beat riding with Jesus. Be safe and keep the shiny side up (I will try to keep my own advice on that).
1714940181780.jpeg

1714940294135.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree about riding with Jesus, but I am a big believer in good riding gear as well. It has saved me from serious and potentially life threatening injuries on more than one occasion. Very happy to hear it turned out well for you and you got a sweet looking new ride! :thumb:

Looking at the King pic, I'm wondering what damage made them total it? I see a side box tweaked, and a replacement tour trunk is pricey, but is there more?

Very lucky, even low speed mild wrecks can have devastating consequences. Good to see you back on a new scooter and doin what you like.

Looking at the King pic, I'm wondering what damage made them total it? I see a side box tweaked, and a replacement tour trunk is pricey, but is there more?
It was so sad that it looked so okay but... gas tank, fuel guage, triple tree, front forks, front fender, handlebars, speakers, ignition housing and cables, possible frame damage, heat shield, windshield, headlight housing, passing light and front turn signal, floorboard, she got me down off the hill but wouldn't run or start again after that. Being a 2008, in the parts and paint alone, the repairs exceeded what insurance valued it at. I considered keeping it and repairing myself but the possible frame damage was a concern. Plus my wife (who was not with me at the time) began to feel a bit uneasy with the bike having been in a wreck. This may have been some misplaced anxiety on her part, but when your wife tells you she thinks you need to get a new bike...

My guardian angel probably rides right on the tank so he can grab the bars when I space out looking at scenery. Funny but when I was new to road riding, for the first 15 years I rarely if ever took eyes off the road to look at scenery. Now I occasionally hit road debris due to some newly developed bad habits and general complacency. I tell myself about it all the time, but then forget :-)

Nice upgrade. I just upgraded as well. I go the 107 and it's incredible compared to my last bike. I can't imagine what a 114 is like.

Nice upgrade. I just upgraded as well. I go the 107 and it's incredible compared to my last bike. I can't imagine what a 114 is like.
I definitely feel the difference (and like it) between this and the 96 of the King, but I do miss the way the Road King sounded and rumbled.

My guardian angel probably rides right on the tank so he can grab the bars when I space out looking at scenery. Funny but when I was new to road riding, for the first 15 years I rarely if ever took eyes off the road to look at scenery. Now I occasionally hit road debris due to some newly developed bad habits and general complacency. I tell myself about it all the time, but then forget :-)
Allow me to serve as a gentle reminder. šŸ˜‰

Back