• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Pan America is official...what do we think?

Couldn’t ride, got on waiting list for tomorrow. Super Dave 2wheelnut graciously gave me his 11 am spot.

Interesting, the guy running the tour rides a KTM 990. He will be doing this for 10 months.

Dfw was first weekend, then Albuquerque then 3 stops in California.

He rode the bike extensively at the Arizona proving ground (APG). He said rides good, but the afternoon his right leg got hot.

He started the bike up for me, very noisy but mellowed after it warmed up. It does have VVT (Like the BMW 1250).

The lower mechanism is only on the rear shock. Drops 1.5” by a one way valve not electronic.

After warmed up, my suspicions were confirmed, that right side exhaust pipe gets very warm.

I spent a couple of hours looking at it in detail, it is very Harleyish, 2 spark plugs total, the wires are exposed.

Overall the bike reminded me of the Amf days. Screen is nice and controls are nice. Handlebar is very skinny after the turn out.

Ergos were nice, seat most comfortable I ever sat on for Oem.

Bottom line is this pic,

a720e015345120911ea5db5d11deae7e.jpg

Open rear wheel bearings.

Also, they use a c-clip on the end of the axle to retain the nut, not very high tech.

I will take some video tomorrow for you guys.

@DFW_Warrior there is a 2pm slot open tomorrow. I can’t make it. Just tell Justin it is my slot. I have already told him I can’t make it.
That’s awesome of you! Thank you!

I’ve got to go into work tomorrow in West Dallas till 11 or so. That gives me just about the right amount of time to grab some lunch and then meander up there.

I’m assuming Justin is the person running the demos?

Couldn’t ride, got on waiting list for tomorrow. Super Dave 2wheelnut graciously gave me his 11 am spot.

How many on the waiting list? Supposed to be cold tomorrow morning. Wondering if I can sneak in line than since I didn’t get to use my slot today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many on the waiting list? Supposed to be cold tomorrow morning. Wondering if I can sneak in line than since I didn’t get to use my slot today.

I be don’t know how many, but she said best chance was 9 am

Dahveed, JetDr, Cody and I are scheduled for a noon ride today. Looking forward to this even with the cool and windy weather.

Just returned from the demo ride event. They let me take it around twice. It was nice, fast, comfortable and a great cruiser. Not sure if it will actually perform off-road.

682cd0837cf06767575263c1331f5a0e.jpg

Just a loop around the country road. I tried looking for places to go off-road as I rode the one with knobby tires. The only land I passed along the route were million dollar houses with gates and fence.

No off pavement, but I might have accidentally explored a ditch or two. :deal

Good see some familiar faces and try out the new machine.

I arrived early for my appointment and they let me go out alone. Gave me an opportunity to open it up a little.

I rode the Special with spoked wheels and active suspension. I liked the bike quite a lot. I think there are some personal preference things that could be tuned out to make it even better. Suspension tuning was a little off for me, so I'd want to work on that a little. A few minutes setting up the controls and creating a custom ride mode (I think I read somewhere it would do that) would make all the difference for me. I'm taller than the average bear, therefore the average bike doesn't really fit me too well.

I wonder how low until we start seeing tunes for it. I'd love to make the throttle a little snappier when blipping to rev match and sound cool at stoplights.

Had great power. Lugged it down low and didn't stumble, and it pulled hard all the was to redline. Tried to get the wheel up on throttle only and it just spun the tire and traction control kicked in. Wasn't able to disable it, wondering if they disabled the disable button.

Overall impression was good and I'm pretty sure it would be great with some tweaking and farkling.

No off pavement? That seems odd.
It would be odd if they did allow it. I can't imagine how many bikes would get tore up let alone the liability involved for the riders. You might have to start with 100 bikes at the beginning of the demo season to end up with 12 at the end. :nono:

Tried to get the wheel up on throttle only and it just spun the tire and traction control kicked in. Wasn't able to disable it, wondering if they disabled the disable button.

Overall impression was good and I'm pretty sure it would be great with some tweaking and farkling.
MisterK and I attempted to change the traction control without any noticeable differences. We found the button but we never found the icon on the screen that we believe should illuminate when going through those settings. I don't think any human could get the front tire more than a few inches off the ground the way its set. TCS disabled by the Harley to keep idiots from trying? Don't know.

Last edited:
Nice seeing all of you that I bumped into today.

I went into the ride wanting to hate the bike...

Boy was I in for a surprise. I was very, very pleasantly surprised by the bike. For a first time effort in making a ground up Adventure Touring Bike Harley did a great job.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

I liked the bike very much. If I was the market for such a thing would I buy it. Maybe.

Plenty of power, seating position good and a very good stock seat. You kind of sit more on the bike and less in it than many of it competitors. Didn't feel heavy. A little smaller in person than it looks on the net. TFT screen was good. Brakes decent. Tubeless wheels. I rode the special twice and liked the suspension best on the touring mode. Sport mode was a little harsh for me on the front end but we weren't riding in Arkansas either. With non-electric suspension I could have probably dialed it in a little better for me, which I think is pretty typical.

Very few negatives and I can find negatives on most bikes. The steering at slow speed felt different. Kind of like you had a tire going down. I speculate it had to do with the steering damper but it's just a guess. Some others I spoke to noticed it too.

The whole crew there were very nice and helpful. I really liked the way they did the demos. In most every demo I've done before, you had a ride leader and a sweep and everybody in between, Everyone starts at this time and everyone returns back together. If you're lucky, you can sneak in a few seconds of fun every now and then. The P.A. demo was a marked course through some nicer back roads and an FM road that you road at your own will. No nannies. Its like Harley was trying to sell to adults!!! Thank you Harly D for a good time and one of my more enjoyable demo rides.

MacDaddy and I did catch a glimpse of the Harley in it's natural environment. Fortunately I was quick enough on the draw to grab a pic.
PXL_20210417_163415186.jpg

I almost told the demo folks that Simmons1 had a KLR, but I thought they'd probably make him take remedial training first. :haha:
I told them I had a KLR, they took pity on me on and offered me free PA because they felt sorry for me.

In other news Mr K bought one for himself and sold 20 others.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

I’m pretty bummed I got rained out on Friday. Sounds like it was a test ride worth doing.

I’m pretty bummed I got rained out on Friday. Sounds like it was a test ride worth doing.

I got rained out on Friday too but I showed up this morning. They’re running again tomorrow aren’t they? If so, I would show up and you’ll probably get in.

Back