• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

There comes a time...

Wow, what an amazing trip to be taking with your kids. This will no doubt instill some amazing memories for all of you going forward and who knows, it might even ignite a true life long passion for adventure riding in your kids as well. I wish I had this type of experience with my father, but he was never into adventure or dual sport riding but he did plant the bug for the love of motorcycles in me. That said, we've had some pretty epic 4WD/off-road trips over the years.

I look forward to continuing along this journey with y'all via this thread, this should prove to be an adventure of a lifetime for these youngsters. Thanks for bringing us all along.

I got on a road in northwest colorado like that , looked perfectly fine till it wasn’t , no warning , no color change , just slicker than snot all at once . Only thing that kept me from hitting the ground was I was on the 950 KTM . It did surprisingly well on street tires for a big bike . I bent a rear brake leaver 180 degree one year down there , road construction on a mountain dirt road , a mile section had been graded to powder then watered in front of the compactor . There was a foot of powder at the edge that was still dry and a ditch a couple feet deep in places . I went off in the ditch and destroyed the brake lever , stopped and bent it out enough to make it functional and was able to get it back to camp . Then a tire went flat so I rode my dirt bike the rest of that trip . Brake leavers are a little bit harder to come by on the Cagiva , with 5 bikes only one hasnt been bent . I need to fab one from steel that can take the abuse or stop abusing it . Looking good just remember your there to have fun , stay flexible .

A journey is not an adventure until something goes wrong. This is a lot of fun, and I'm not even out there!! :thumb:
Sarah is going to be riding circles around you guys before this is over!

Thats a good way of putting it. You can either choose to get mad and frustraed or you can choose to say ok whats next and what are we gong to do. Which is what I prefer. I've had many adventures.

Day five: Thursday, August 17th.

Screw the plan, let's see what we can salvage!

We woke up, got the bikes packed, and headed to a nearby Urgent Care clinic hoping to get Sarah's shoulder checked. No dice. They could not see her on a non emergency basis until noon. She said she was good to go. We still needed to fix her left hand guard. Somehow the bolt and spacers were gone, even though the bolt did not break off. This was a good thing though because it meant we could thread in a new bolt, IF we could find the right bits to make it all fit... So next up was a visit to the local Tractor Supply. We parked in some shade and Daniel and I headed in to see what we might find that would get it fixed. We found some different sized washers, a nut to serve as a spacer, and a long 6mm bolt. A few minutes later and it was all good! Then we were on the road heading South toward I-70.

Just past 70 we got on UT 72, which was a really nice ride up and over some mountains to the tiny town of Loa. It was raining and cool. Sarah really enjoyed the road despite the conditions. In Loa we stopped to ask about a good place to eat. When we went back to the bikes, mine would not start. It was acting like my key fob battery was dead even though I just put a new battery in it before leaving home. I tried the plastic emergency key that you hold up under the rear fender and it did the same thing... Now I was starting to worry! Daniel punched the ignition button one more time and it came on! So I started the bike. Then I noticed I had no headlights. My low beam and all auxiliary lights were out :ponder: :doh: Just what we need, more equipment gremlins!! We had lunch on the other end of town at a little cafe and it was quite good. I forgot to get a pic of it or the name (edit: Marinia's Country Cafe), but I did get pics of flowers and cool old cars next door :-P

After lunch, the bike fired right up like normal. Still no lights... We ran US 24 over to Torrey and then stopped for gas before heading down UT 12 across the Escalante National Monument. While gassing up a woman came over to speak to Sarah and mentioned that 24 going to Hanksville was closed because the road was flooded and they were turning people around. She thought we might be going that way. Once heading down 12, it was soon obvious that there had been some flooding across 12 as well, but we were able to get through without any issues. The first part of 12 went up into the mountains and through the Dixie National Forest. It was a great ride and the temp was pretty nice, in the low 60s! I let Daniel take point. I've told him not to get too far ahead. After not being able to get him on the communicator for a while, I told Sarah to just keep doing what she was doing, which was nailing all the corners perfectly, and I was going to go after Daniel.

I set off at a "brisk" pace. At this point the road was still dry. I never caught up to him... So he had to have been running pretty hot to get that far out in front. I didn't want to leave Sarah for too long so I pulled over to wait for her. After she rejoined me and confirmed that she was indeed having fun, we set out again. A while later Daniel finally came zooming back around a corner. Regrouped we rand down the rest of the mountain and pulled over in Boulder and I had to have one of those discussions with him about risk versus reward and the potential for jeopardizing the rest of the trip. He is a good rider, but he doesn't know his limits and doesn't really grasp the risks he is taking. So he got relegated to staying behind me until further notice. On the plus side though, he has been doing a great job of being helpful with Sarah when it comes to managing her bike, luggage, camping gear, etc,... while she is sore.

After our discussion we continued South and started the canyon part of 12. There were some sections of this where we were seriously exposed to TINY shoulders and steep drop offs. I let Sarah lead and followed right behind her. She was a bit tense, but rode it very well and actually enjoyed herself despite being scared. We reached Escalante after a great ride and checked in at the Circle D Motel, a place where we stayed on our previous visit. They gave us a great deal on their big suite. The owner was a nice guy that is into jeeping, about $100K into it :eek2: He had a cool old truck as well. They were very bike friendly. There was a hose Sarah used to clean her bike and rags for wiping down the bike. She felt much better about things after seeing the bike clean. There were some scratches, but it was not as bad as she thought. There was a nice restaurant and bar at the hotel, but the kids wanted a shake and there was a place down the road called Nemo's that had ice cream. It was a bit of a walk, but it was a nice evening, so off we went.

I love the old architecture in the little towns out here. It was different than that found in the little old towns of Texas, most likely because of the different climate. One thing was the same though, young folks with nothing to do like to cruise the Main Street all evening :lol2: Sarah was getting checked out a lot as we were walking down the road. Nemo's had decent burger shack food. The ice cream though... well... Grasshopper flavor was on the menu. I HAD to know. I risked a sample spoon to find out. I ordered two scoops in a waffle cone. After my grilled cheese sandwich, I got the ice cream. I should have ordered a half scoop!! These were the biggest scoops I've ever seen, close to a pint each and the cone was full as well. It was some kind of blend of mint, chocolate, and cinnamon. I was skeptical when the guy told me this, but it is fantastic! I highly recommend it if you ever find yourself in Escalante.

After dinner we had a much slower walk back to the hotel. We then enjoyed a beautiful evening sitting in the outside area of the bar. The cool dry breeze was delightful and the sunset lit the clouds and mountains on fire. We needed to be up and moving pretty early the next day if we were going to make it to Bryce Canyon, Zion, and cross the Kolob Road up to Cedar City. So we knocked off and called it a day.

Tractor Supply for the win!
IMG_6810.JPG

Nut fits hole in guard perfect to keep things centered
IMG_6811.JPG

Almost good as new. That is a casting mold seam, not a crack on the top.
IMG_6812.JPG

They find these guys along the roads. Hitchhikers that forgot to bring enough water for the heat...
IMG_6813.JPG

Her clean and happy side!
IMG_6814.JPG

The "things don't always go as planned" side
IMG_6815.JPG

Always wanting to get going!
IMG_6816.JPG

Just a cool old church in Emory, UT., that is on their historic register.
IMG_6817.JPG

Somewhere on UT 72 South of I-70
IMG_6818.JPG

IMG_6819.JPG

Outside the cafe in Loa
IMG_6820.JPG

IMG_6821.JPG

This is for @humanrace
IMG_6822.JPG

IMG_6823.JPG

IMG_6824.JPG

IMG_6825.JPG

IMG_6826.JPG

UT 12 South of Torrey at Larb Hollow Overlook with storms in the distance
IMG_6827.JPG

Same shot when she was 11 years old
IMG_1940.JPG

IMG_6828.JPG

IMG_6829-resized.jpg

Rain is getting closer...
LarbHollow Overlook Group Shot.jpg

IMG_6832.JPG

IMG_6833-resized.jpg

IMG_6834.JPG

IMG_6835.JPG

IMG_6836-resized.jpg

IMG_6837.JPG

IMG_6838.JPG

IMG_6840.JPG

IMG_6841.JPG

IMG_6842.JPG

IMG_6843.JPG

IMG_6844.JPG

We got the sweet suite!
IMG_6845.JPG

The restaurant is just around the corner behind our room.
IMG_6846.JPG

Aaaahhhh.... :zen:
IMG_6847.JPG

IMG_6848.JPG

Getting the bike clean and realizing it is not as damaged as she thought really helped cheer her up.
IMG_6849.JPG

"Dude! Stop playing with my water!"
IMG_6851.JPG

IMG_6852.JPG

This is for @humanrace
IMG_6853.JPG

Newly remodeled room, really nice!
IMG_6854.JPG

Nice kitchen side. Sleeper sofa as well.
IMG_6855.JPG

The cool old truck and this Jeep belong to the hotel owner
IMG_6856.JPG

I believe he said 40" tires!
IMG_6857.JPG

There are a ton of really cool old houses all over Utah
IMG_6858.JPG

Would be cool to have seen it when it was new
IMG_6859.JPG

This one is being restored
IMG_6860.JPG

IMG_6861.JPG

Grasshopper? :scratch:
IMG_6862.JPG

Dad in group on left is from Transylvannia, Romania. Came here in 92 or 93 after the wall fell. From Oregon and vacationing with his sons.
IMG_6864.JPG

OMG! Grasshopper is totally incredible ice cream! :drool:
IMG_6866.JPG

IMG_6868.JPG

Great patio to hang out for the evening just outside our room
IMG_6869.JPG

IMG_6870.JPG

Sarah's nightly routine, which she says is really helping!
IMG_6872.JPG

Last edited:
When people that were in a hurry would stop at India’s in Studde Butte we would send them just up the road to the next town . Painted rocks are a thing up here too , and the huckleberry ice cream is really good also . Wilkersons ice cream from Montana is way up there on the list of good .

That is such a wonderful area. If you have time, check out Butch Cassidy's childhood home in Circleville. 153 over the mountain to Beaver is a great ride too.

We had lunch on the other end of town at a little cafe and it was quite good. I forgot to get a pic of it or the name, but I did get pics of flowers and cool old cars next door :-P

Dad in group on left is from Transylvannia,
The cafe is Marinia's. It's in your photo of the three vehicles as you face the cafe.

When I ran the Bookstop on 1960 I had a college student working for me that was from Transylvania, just a mile or so from Dracula's castle. She could never understand why we always asked her to say: "Get moose and squirrel!"
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Day six: Friday, August 18th

We got an early start so we could visit Bryce Canyon, Zion, and maybe run the Kolob Reservoir road up to Cedar City. Bryce was cold, windy, and overcast. We checked out a few overlooks, took pictures, and decided to get back on UT 12 for the ride through Red Canyon over to US 89. The run down 89 was cold and damp, but still fun just because of the scenery. Things got nicer at Zion and we had a good ride through the park. Sarah did great with the switchbacks after the long tunnel. We ended up at a Mavericks in Hurricane for lunch. We shared an outdoor picnic table with a young couple from the Netherlands. They gave us some interesting “cookies”. After lunch we made the run up to the Kolob Reservoir, which is all paved and fantastic! The road was very twisty and climbs right at 5000 feet, reaching up into the Aspens. The pavement ended at the entrance to the campground, right around 8000 feet. Just past the entrance the road became chunky loose gravel and Sarah wasn’t feeling it. Her confidence off the pavement had taken a pretty good beating the last few days, so I didn't want to push her and risk her getting hurt worse. We decided to turn around and see about a spot in the campground. The host said it was reservations only and they were booked... We must have looked really pathetic because he then said he had an overflow site we could have. He led us slowly down the graded dirt road to the site and there was a young couple there grilling dinner. He told them they’d have to leave. He then left and I told them to take their time and finish their meal. We visited with them a while and then when they left, they gave us their lighter so we could start a fire. I forgot mine 🙄Daniel got a nice fire going and we enjoyed a beautiful evening. Both kids really enjoyed the roads today and Daniel was thrilled that we were finally camping again. I had to agree. Another great day!

IMG_6876.JPG

On UT 12 West of Escalante before Bryce Canyon
IMG_6877.JPG

IMG_6878.JPG

IMG_6879.JPG

Daniel has grown a bit the last year. Sarah is 5'3".
IMG_6880.JPG

IMG_6881.JPG

That is the kids on the shoulder in the distance below
IMG_6882.JPG

IMG_6883.JPG

The rainbow was already fading by the time I got my camera out :doh:
IMG_6884.JPG

We stopped at the big gas station near the entrance of Bryce Canyon for gas and drinks. These were everywhere. Very pretty.
IMG_6886.JPG

Daniel was impressed that this tree was almost as stubborn as him... Kindred spirits! :lol2:
IMG_6887.JPG

Sarah pushing herself to the limit :thumb:
IMG_6888.JPG

IMG_6889-resized.jpg

There are hiking and horse trails everywhere down in there
IMG_6890.JPG

IMG_6891.JPG

IMG_6893.JPG

IMG_6894.JPG

IMG_6896.JPG

The place is packed with Europeans that gawk at us when they walk by, like they've never seen anyone in riding gear before :scratch:
IMG_6897.JPG

IMG_6898.JPG

IMG_6899.JPG

After a few overlooks, we headed to Zion. This is just at the East entrance.
IMG_6900.JPG

This is just past the west exit of the long tunnel
IMG_6902.JPG

That little dark dot in the pull out below is Sarah
IMG_6903.JPG

IMG_6904.JPG

After Sarah made it down, Daniel went next to wait with her for me to show up

IMG_6905.JPG

IMG_6906.JPG

IMG_6907.JPG

Both kids loved Zion and Sarah did great with the tight corners and ledges. We thought about getting lunch in Springdale, but Sarah was leading and by the time I would see something interesting the had already passed it and didn't want to turn around. I got in front, but by then there wasn't much left that didn't look like $20 burgers... So we pressed on and ended up in Hurricane at a Mavericks. This is where we met the couple from the Netherlands. I forgot to ask if I could take a picture :doh: They were really nice and we had a great visit. They drove from Houston all the way here in a rented Toyota Tundra. They even had the cowboy hats and boots from the dude ranch thing they did in Bandera. After eating, we headed back East on 12 to the start of Kolob Reservoir road and started the climb up to the reservoir. This is a wonderful road with incredible views and very little traffic. It climbs from around 3000 feet up to just over 8000 feet at the reservoir. The kids really enjoyed it as well.

A pullout as we headed up Kolob Reservoir Road
IMG_6909.JPG

IMG_6910.JPG

At the top the road became gravel just past the campground entrance. It looked like it had been put down recently and was pretty thick in the corners. After four or five corners I could tell Sarah was stressing so we stopped on a straight section. She was mad at herself for not being able to ride the gravel because we have ridden similar gravel at home. I didn't want to stress her so I suggested we stop for the night as it was around 4:00pm. Daniel was frustrated because he WANTS to do the dirt, but he also wanted to camp so he agreed as well.

IMG_6911.JPG

IMG_6912.JPG

We found the camp host and I explained our situation. He was very nice and slowly led us to our site. The entrance to our site was pretty steep, but there were a few small level spots where we could park the bikes and setup the tents once the young couple that were grilling had left. I keep forgetting to get pics of these people. So now Sarah has a new job... reminding me to take pics of people.

IMG_6914.JPG

There was enough loose dirt under that tree behind my bike that I was able to create enough of a flat spot for my sleep pad so I would not spend all night sliding off of it. Sarah is setting up back there behind me. We didn't see any nearby dead branches overhead.
IMG_6915.JPG

The flat spot is kind of hard to see, but it worked quite well!
IMG_6916.JPG

Daniel is actually being very helpful
IMG_6917.JPG

Daniel's spot once we got out stuff out of the way
IMG_6918.JPG

IMG_6919.JPG

Sarah likes this soft graded brown dirt, when it is dry :-P
IMG_6920.JPG

Stroopwaffles? The couple from the Netherlands bring 6-8 packs of these to give out to people they meet while traveling here in the U.S. They call them cookies. They are VERY sweet and VERY good.
IMG_6921.JPG

IMG_6922.JPG

Daniel's tent but Sarah's bike.
IMG_6923.JPG

My tent, mostly level... at least where my sleep mat is laying
IMG_6924.JPG

These flowers were all around our site, very pretty, similar structure to blue bonnets
IMG_6925.JPG

He wastes no time using the new saw to get firewood. The camp host also returned with a lot of dry firewood.
IMG_6926.JPG

IMG_6927.JPG

This saw rips through stuff real fast. No doubt it will do the same with fingers as well... :wary:
IMG_6928.JPG

Last edited:
Here are some of the drone shots from the campground before it got dark, just images, no videos because I don't have time to edit them right now.

Kolob Reservoir looking Northeast
DJI_0085.JPG

The road where we turned around way over there on the East bank
DJI_0086.JPG

The camp site
DJI_0087.JPG

The dam at right on the South side of the lake
DJI_0088.JPG

North end of the West side of the lake
DJI_0091.JPG

North end of the East side of the lake and the main road along the East shore
DJI_0092.JPG

Potentially gloomy weather coming our way
DJI_0094.JPG

DJI_0095.JPG

Beautiful sunset
DJI_0096.JPG

DJI_0097.JPG

DJI_0098.JPG

Good night! :sleep:

Last edited:
Day seven in the books!

Actually day seven. I am really struggling to keep my days straight :doh: :lol2:

It rained during the night which woke me at first, but then put me right back to sleep :sleep: It wasn’t super heavy, just enough to make some mud. Getting the bikes back down to the level road took patience but we managed. The road itself was a little muddy, but not bad. Sarah was a bit apprehensive about the ride out, as was I! As we were packing the bikes cows started wandering through our camp site 😳 I saw mildly fresh piles last night and wondered about that. Seems a local rancher is not real good at keeping his gates closed according to the camp host. Once everything was ready, we started back toward the pavement. Sarah did fine. I had a few pucker moments though! She doesn't seem to mind mud but hates sand. I love sand and hate mud. I've just never been able to get my brain to accept riding on mud, especially on a heavily loaded large adventure bike with non-knobby tires! Once on pavement we started the 5000 foot descent back down to UT 12. It was a beautiful ride and we all really enjoyed it. We grabbed breakfast in Hurricane at the same Mavericks gas station as yesterday, then headed for Cedar City via I-15. At Cedar City, I decided to try an alternate route and we headed into the mountains on UT 14 to UT 148. 14 was a very fun road that got us up around 9700 feet and cooler temps! Sarah was still riding a little tentatively, but was getting the job done. As always, Daniel was wanting to ride faster. We did not stop for Cedar Breaks NM. At UT 143 we ran down the mountains back to I-15 and began the mad slab dash to Provo. I had intended to head toward Panguitch on 143 and just got confused at the intersection because I wasn't paying attention. It was probably better though because going up US 89 would have been more fun and scenic, but it would have taken a lot more time. I didn't want to risk not making it to the dealership in Provo and then having to wait until Tuesday of the next week for them to open so we could get Sarah's new brake lever! It was hot on the interstate and we ran a consistent 80mph (speed limit) most of the way to Provo. Just South of Provo we hit some construction, but it wasn’t too bad. We arrived at the KTM dealership around 3:30pm. They had the new brake lever for Sarah’s bike! We got that installed and they also tweaked her suspension for us to hopefully resolve a mild head shake she was experience as she got closer to 80mph. As a bonus, they were having some kind of event and there were free burgers, hotdogs, drinks and chips!! Daniel kept standing next to an 890 Adventure Rallye thinking it might eventually follow him home 😂 After finishing up with the dealer, we ran up the highway to Heber City to get a room at the Swiss Alps Inn. We stayed there on our trip in 2015. They had a nice hot tub and pool, which we thoroughly enjoyed this time as well! Shortly after our arrival the weather turned nasty. The last time we were here, it started hailing while we were unloading the bikes. This time it just looked nasty rather than actually getting nasty. We also got fantastic milkshakes next door at the Dairy Keen, a long time local landmark. Tomorrow is a rest day, no riding. We need to do laundry, fix a few minor things on the bikes, visit Wal-Mart, and sleep in… Sarah's shoulder is doing well, but she still wants to continue icing it.

A beautiful morning on the Kolob Reservoir.
IMG_6930.JPG

IMG_6931.JPG

It would seem the cows have come home :doh:
IMG_6932.JPG

Not muddy, just damp.
IMG_6933.JPG

IMG_6934.JPG

IMG_6935.JPG

Muddy, not damp :doh:
IMG_6936.JPG

IMG_6937.JPG

Zion Canyon Overlook on UT 14 East of Cedar City, UT.
IMG_6938.JPG

IMG_6939.JPG

Looking South out over Zion NP. WE camped somewhere over there in the mountains to the right.
IMG_6940.JPG

This is for the little fairing piece that goes around the left side of Sarah's headlight. I was flabbergasted that it is only $12.00! I might get around to it, but we'd have to order it and time the arrival at a dealer somewhere, which is kind of a pain. The bike rides fine without it.
IMG_6941.JPG

We got to park right in front of our room and there were chairs so we could just hang out and people watch
IMG_6942.JPG

Hmmm... Looked, smelled, and felt like rain, but it never rained.
IMG_6943.JPG

Killer Root Beer milkshake at the Dairy Keen
IMG_6944.JPG

IMG_6945.JPG

Last edited:
one of these days you will realize the number of days doesn’t really matter anymore when they are all good . And you can tell Sarah there is no such thing as good gravel , love the moon flowers and they smell really good too . That’s always one thing to look foward too here in Wyoming , the first moon flower bloom in the summer . Utah has the market cornered on awesome rocks , some really good stuff in Dinosaur national park if you have time to get by there , some of them you can get up really close and personal with .

Oh wow, Stroopwafel in the middle of nowhere! Some of those came in a gift basket not that long ago, and they rocked!!

Carry on! And who cares what day it is?? :zen:

Back