• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where is the BEST Chicken Fried Steak in Texas?

Goodsons absolutely sucks these days , It was good 25 years ago but the owner retired and sold it . I havent been in there in years so I gave it a try a couple months ago and walked out very dissapointed , I will NOT be back . I think Luby's is probly better and I know the Cactus in Burton is better . SEYA

If I remember correctly, the owner sold it to his son and then opened The Steamboat House on the beltway near the horse track. It's the place with the statue of Sam Houston in the parking lot. Kinda pricey, but good food. They also have a lot of antiques and artifacts that date beck to the time of Sam Houston and the Texas Revolution.

I spent many an hour drinking myself silly at Hungry Jacks. Didn't even know they served food.;-)

I remember when Jack Bowman opened up the Orange Julius and a head shop in the late '60's. Afterward he opened Hungry Jacks.

Lol Hungry Jacks still has a Pretty Good Chicken Fried Steak.. Not much else in this town to compare it to though..

When I was in school my dad would take me there for chicken fried steak for lunch when I had early dismissal, if he wasn't off shore.
I still love their chicken fried streak. :eat:

Mary's Cafe in Strawn TX is the best I have had. They serve small, medium, and large. The medium fills me at lunch so I cannot eat until breakfast the next day. The large covers a big oval platter so the sides come on a separate plate. Aside from the generous portions, they use real steak, not psuedo-ground beef. Each steak is breaded and pan fried with just the right salt and pepper spice. The gravy is wonderful. Just typing this makes me hungry.

Alot of votes for Mary's seems like a good place to do a food tasting. I see a road trip in the near future. Lu Lu's large CFS is the same way. CFS on one plate and fixings on another. Too much grub for me but see people order it often. A huge cinnamon roll but no pie that I remember at Lu Lu's is a treat also while your there grab one to go.:eat:Drew

Alot of votes for Mary's seems like a good place to do a food tasting. I see a road trip in the near future. Lu Lu's large CFS is the same way. CFS on one plate and fixings on another. Too much grub for me but see people order it often. A huge cinnamon roll but no pie that I remember at Lu Lu's is a treat also while your there grab one to go.:eat:Drew

I just want to say Drew; I'm glad that you are here. :zen:

A friend has taken us to a place in Magnolia, old white place with homey atmosphere. Great CFS, can't remember the name. Kinda hard to find. It could be on the edge of Tomball.

+1

I like it with their homemade salsa instead of gravy much like I like Lulu's in San Antonio with queso. :eat:

Stop it I am having withdrawals. I have been eating at LuLu's since it was under/beside the overpass an eye shot from the courthouse. :eat: Drew

NO FLIES ON MARY'S CFS, except it is a smoking establishment, which ruins the flavor of the food, IMHO

BABE'S, in Roanoke, Sanger & elsewhere, serves one very good example of the CHICKEN FRIED STEAK

& for those, with you, who don't like dead cow, their FRIED CHICKEN will tickle your taste buds

either meal @ BABE'S will stuff the heartiest of eaters and you will be wanting to eat the whole meal!!!

shiny side up

sw

Mary's Cafe in Strawn TX is the best I have had. They serve small, medium, and large. The medium fills me at lunch so I cannot eat until breakfast the next day. The large covers a big oval platter so the sides come on a separate plate. Aside from the generous portions, they use real steak, not psuedo-ground beef. Each steak is breaded and pan fried with just the right salt and pepper spice. The gravy is wonderful. Just typing this makes me hungry.

Yeah I love Mary's, definitely the best I've had so far.:eat:

I've been to Mary's once. I was at Dublin Dr. Pepper getting my bottles refilled, and a guy said I had to make the drive out there. He swore by the cfs, plus he got super excited talking about how it was their anniversary, and the cfs was free today. I made the drive out there, place was busy enough. I don't know if I was expecting too much after he hyped it up, but I wasn't too impressed. It reminded me of school cafeteria cfs. It wasn't bad, but definitely not worth going out of my way to get it.

NO FLIES ON MARY'S CFS, except it is a smoking establishment, which ruins the flavor of the food, IMHO

BABE'S, in Roanoke, Sanger & elsewhere, serves one very good example of the CHICKEN FRIED STEAK

& for those, with you, who don't like dead cow, their FRIED CHICKEN will tickle your taste buds

either meal @ BABE'S will stuff the heartiest of eaters and you will be wanting to eat the whole meal!!!

shiny side up

sw

Your ruining it for me, hate trying to eat and breath smoke. Drew

As you enter Mary's , smoking is on the right, the rest of the restaurant is to the left and non-smoking. The back room is far away from any smoke.

sw
I agree with the comments on Babe's and much the same for their " sweetie pies ribeyes" in Decatur on the square, but I still think the CFS from Mary's is
better. I must have been in the no smoking section on my numerous visits as it has never been a problem and I have a pretty low tolerance for cigarette smoke. Swoody, did you go to the right after walking in the front door? I've always gone to the left.

I'd have to go into Mary's to judge the smoking section. I've always hated to eat with smoking near. My feelings have always been along with the sign that said, "Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool".

I agree with the comments on Babe's and much the same for their " sweetie pies ribeyes" in Decatur on the square, but I still think the CFS from Mary's is
better. I must have been in the no smoking section on my numerous visits as it has never been a problem and I have a pretty low tolerance for cigarette smoke. Swoody, did you go to the right after walking in the front door? I've always gone to the left.

My dad died from smoking like a freight train all his adult life. So I am opposed to smoking cause that is the only thing that ever kicked his ***. He tried to quit several times but always went back to it. In his last weeks he would stand there and pretend he had a sig in his hand and that he was puffing away. His mind was leaving him as well as his functions. Very hard addition to stop doing. Sad he may still be around. Alot of places have switched to non-smoking,it is so much nicer than it used to be. Drew

If you want to go for a ride, the best CF steak I ever had was at the The Gage Hotel in Marathon along with the Elk medallions.

My vote is Kott's Cafe in Anderson.

Best CFS I ever had was on a CFS sandwich at The Minnow Bucket at Lake Fork, of all places. It's half bait shop, half restaurant, and the CFS sandwich was fantastic.

I remember often having to decide whether we were going to Cattleman's in Columbus or Grumpy's in Flatonia after Saturday night dances. CFS was always high on the list of most often ordered items.

Cattleman's had a CFS sandwich served open-faced on toast, smothered with brown gravy, and fries on the side. This is the one I miss the most.

Both of these places have now gone the way of the Dodo. Sadly, so many of the old fashioned all-night Interstate Diners seem to be fading away.

Much obliged for all the ones posted. Gotta give some of them a try.

I remember often having to decide whether we were going to Cattleman's in Columbus or Grumpy's in Flatonia after Saturday night dances. CFS was always high on the list of most often ordered items.

Cattleman's had a CFS sandwich served open-faced on toast, smothered with brown gravy, and fries on the side. This is the one I miss the most.

Both of these places have now gone the way of the Dodo. Sadly, so many of the old fashioned all-night Interstate Diners seem to be fading away.

Much obliged for all the ones posted. Gotta give some of them a try.

MMMM Cattlemans that open faced CFS was a delight, I grew up in Bellville and the Saturday night VFW hall dances were all we knew to do back then.
Coshatte Hall
Peters Hall
Kenny Hall
Silver Wings
Columbus VFW
Dime Box
Shelby
Industry

Man the bands and good times was indeed a simple time to grow up

Back