• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Which GPS Unit should I buy?

I don't want to use my good phone for motorcycle navigation due to the dirt and sunlight, so I am using an old iPhone 6 (replaceable) and the Scenic app (https://scenic.app/). The good thing about this app is you can pre-download maps and you don't need phone service (GPS works without cell service). Supposedly they are coming out with an Android app later this year and you can run it on multiple phones. If I do need access, I can use my good phone as a hotspot.

I did not want a dedicated device due to cost (~$500) and how to secure the device when I leave it on my motorcycle. The Scenic App was ~$70 for a lifetime subscription and my family and friends can provide with with a supply of old phones. Usually the phone battery's are bad, so I keep it plugged in on the bike. If someone steals it, I load it up onto my next phone.

The negative is the screen is small and gets washed out in the direct sunlight.

Anyway, that is my cheap navigation strategy.

I don't typically have a wifi connection when riding down the road...
I think he means setting up your phone for a hotspot and using cell data.
That would be a big problem in some areas.
Heck, here in Austin near UT there are many dead spots with AT&T

I did not want a dedicated device due to cost (~$500) and how to secure the device when I leave it on my motorcycle.
This is a good point and I wonder why Garmin hasn't done something to facilitate locking the units down to the bike. Could be as simple as providing a reinforced loop in the case that a hardened wire tether could pass through.

Last edited:
I think he means setting up your phone for a hotspot and using cell data.
That would be a big problem in some areas.
Heck, here in Austin near UT there are many dead spots with AT&T

That is exactly what I mean.
It would be the same problem as if you run the app on your phone, because no reception no data.

what's wrong with a map ? GPS units are over rated
Ok Boomer :rider:
I carry maps as well but honestly they don't get updated as often and they aren't real good at routing a detour last minute.
Plus - this is Texas man! The scale makes many small roads disappear.
Even Butler maps limit it to specific areas.

This is a good point and I wonder why Garmin hasn't done something to facilitate locking the units down to the bike. Could be as simple as providing a reinforced loop in the case that a hardened wire tether could pass through.
A real selling for the Zumo is its easy mount/dismount system. First, the mount itself is much more secure than typical phone holders or dashboard mounts for car GPSs. Second is the way it attaches/detaches. You don't have to plug/unplug a USB miniplug. To attach, you simply snap the Zumo onto its mount - takes less than a second. To detach, you push a button on the mount and the GPS pops off - takes less than a second. So when you leave your bike, you snap the GPS off & either drop it into your top box or shove it into a pocket. It's a simple but very effective system.

Touratech has a locking mount for the XT.
Honestly I find it a bit ridiculous at $200 and it's contingent on having a solid bar to mount it to.
Several folks have a 3D printed hood/shroud that you have to use a key to access the release but the weak link is how quick and easy it is to undo the RAM mount and cut the wire.
I just pop mine off and stick it in a front pocket or the topcase.

Touratech has a locking mount for the XT.
Honestly I find it a bit ridiculous at $200 and it's contingent on having a solid bar to mount it to.
Several folks have a 3D printed hood/shroud that you have to use a key to access the release but the weak link is how quick and easy it is to undo the RAM mount and cut the wire.
I just pop mine off and stick it in a front pocket or the topcase.

That's the problem with Touratech USA.
Touratech prices the product in EU at the maximum you want to pay for a good product, then add 25% (at least) and sell it in the US.
This cradle is 139Euro incl. Tax and free shipping, and here it is $199 + Tax, I think the price for Touratech stuff is just way to high in the US.

You guys seem pretty set. I'm looking to purchase a GPS, but also desire satellite capability. Is the 700i too much. Or would you still go the xt or396 or any one of the others and a stand alone satalite communicator?

I went XT but I did consider the Montana 700. The 700i is nice but I'd much rather have the inReach on my person and that's why I ride with the inReach Mini. Odds are if you ever go down you'll likely be separated from your bike, hence why having the unit on your person is a much better idea. I use the Giant Loop Tracker Packer to mount it to my vest or jacket.

You guys seem pretty set. I'm looking to purchase a GPS, but also desire satellite capability. Is the 700i too much. Or would you still go the xt or396 or any one of the others and a stand alone satalite communicator?

I don't see why it should be too much. I mean if you want to go off-road a regular GPS will be very limited. The advantage of the Montana is, that you can easily use it as handheld for hiking or other outdoor activities.
I think it comes with the basic apps and maps, however I saw reviews that say the street map is bad and you need to load something else. (I can't confirm it was for this current device or the previous model)

If money doesn't matter and you don't need a handheld, buy the Tread 8" (has inReach build in) or the 5,5" with a in reach mini. They just offer more easy access to those features you need for off road adventures and have big displays. If you compare the features, the Tread line has everything Garmin has to offer already included. The XT a little bit less and the Montana also, but with some features you won't find on the XT.

One more thing to keep in mind: the App Chaos. The Zumo uses Explore and can indirect use Basecamp, and get traffic data from the drive app. The Tread uses the Tread App for everything (incl. Weather and Traffic) and can indirect use Explore app, But not Basecamp. The Montana doesn't have access to the drive app or the tread app, so I don't see a way for live traffic / weather, but you can use Garmin explore and Garmin connect app, which is nice if you have a wearable from them, (which would give you access to weather data)

I made up my mind and will buy the Tread, just not yet sure which size.

The XT actually integrates with the Garmin InReach.
Nifty lil unit.
INREACH PAIRING
Pair zūmo XT with a compatible inReach satellite communicator1 for two-way messaging, location sharing and, in case of emergencies, SOS capabilities.

A real selling for the Zumo is its easy mount/dismount system. First, the mount itself is much more secure than typical phone holders or dashboard mounts for car GPSs. Second is the way it attaches/detaches. You don't have to plug/unplug a USB miniplug. To attach, you simply snap the Zumo onto its mount - takes less than a second. To detach, you push a button on the mount and the GPS pops off - takes less than a second. So when you leave your bike, you snap the GPS off & either drop it into your top box or shove it into a pocket. It's a simple but very effective system.
This is what I've done with my 590. Fits perfectly in my jacket pocket. That said, sometimes I leave my jacket draped on the seat and am not running with the bags on.

Well, I've dived in and taken the plunge on a new XT. Looking forward to being able to see my routes without lifting my tinted visor and using my hand to shade the screen of the 590.

Just found this for those who maybe interested.

Garmin zūmo® XT Motorcycle GPS Navigator​

Back to catalog

$499.99

This is what I've done with my 590. Fits perfectly in my jacket pocket. That said, sometimes I leave my jacket draped on the seat and am not running with the bags on.
I see guys do that with jackets and helmets.
I always wonder about leaving a $500+ helmet and $300+ jacket unprotected.
One guy I knew ran a cable lock through his sleeves and helmet strap.
I guess that would work if you had a place to stash the cable lock...

I see guys do that with jackets and helmets.
I always wonder about leaving a $500+ helmet and $300+ jacket unprotected.
One guy I knew ran a cable lock through his sleeves and helmet strap.
I guess that would work if you had a place to stash the cable lock...

How do you survive without a tail bag or something similar? I keep all sorts of stuff in this Wolfman.
PXL_20210212_184308187.jpg

I occasionally do the cable lock trick. Say, if I park at a national park parking lot and disappear for 3 hours or so. I've done that at Mesa Verde, Rocky Mtn, Grand Canyon, & a few national monuments. Also hospital parking lots, which often seem to attract homeless people. But if I'm going into a gas station for a bio break - or if I'm stopping at a cafe for lunch - I routinely leave my jacket & helmet on the bike. They've never been disturbed. When it comes to petty thievery, non-riders don't see the value in them, and riders mostly tend to leave each others' stuff alone.

As for tailbags, I've never owned a street bike without a hard top box. Quickest, easiest way to secure GPS, camera, or a multitude of other easily stolen small objects if you stop to shop for a while. Plus, all those souvenir tshirts have to go somewhere.

How do you survive without a tail bag or something similar? I keep all sorts of stuff in this Wolfman.
PXL_20210212_184308187.jpg
I'm a photographer. If I'm out in the boonies I usually have a camera set and probably a drone (or 2) in my Givi topcase.
No room in the inn ;)

Back