• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Woodbutcher / Picture a day 2016

12/21/2016 - I see Scott going to his strengths and go to shots as we near the end. Seems like I'm doing the same. This bird watched me ride up to the house yesterday, get off the bike and wheel the trash can past it. So I went inside, put the big lens on the camera and went back out. This has a very minor crop since it let me get so close. It had just gotten the last of the direct sun and was fluffing up to stay warm.

i-vFpw5z2-L.jpg

12/22/2016 - Outside looking in. It happens to us all at some point, but hopefully you all have a place to be this holiday season. If you are in Austin and going to be alone on Sunday, let me know via PM. We'll make space.

i-tVfrrH2-XL.jpg

Interesting perspective she has....

From my experience, everything she said was reasonably accurate. Primarily, the pressure is all self-imposed is what stuck out to me. Additionally, her continued travel also allows her more opportunity in the travel/destination aspect. Sure, it's her job to travel - but there's 'downtime' in travel which equates to opportunity.

But eight years? Yeah. Um. No.

12/23/2016 - Back to the beginning. Early in the year I spent time learning multiple flash set ups. Got this bottle of Bourbon for my sister and thought I'd get a shot of it before I wrapped it up. It took me awhile to get things dialed in, but I did get basically happy. Depending on how bright you have your monitor, the background may not look totally black. This is the third image I edited and I made edit it again to clean up the background.

i-JSFdSFm-XL.jpg

12/14/2016. Bake Off holiday cookie contest at the office. Not only was I the official photographer, I was a judge. :clap: This was under fluorescent lights and hand held, so the lens was fairly open and not much depth of field. I'm pretty happy with it. Happy enough that I didn't dig out the flash at the time to try any more shots.

i-PBhVRJf-XL.jpg

Yum! Nice shot!

12/24/2016 - Crunch time. Then next couple of days were tough. Lots of family pictures, but they were basically candids. However, this fly just caught my attention. I had so many good ones it was hard to narrow it down. Love the pollen on its eyes.

i-nJtG4G3-XL.jpg

12/25/2016 - Slipped outside for a bit of an escape from family. Really didn't find anything near to shoot other than the holly bushes. Fun with depth of field, but lacking in composition.

i-WwCzZRH-XL.jpg

12/26/2016 - Boxing day. Met up with Gravel Guy for breakfast downtown. We both enjoyed the food, coffee and conversation. A definite change of scenery for Mark being downtown. We were almost the only customers for the first hour they were open. Streets were empty.

i-G4Sts82-L.jpg

I'm not convinced my Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 can come close to this kind of shot. I've got a min focus distance of about 12" and that would have to be one hack of a crop on my FF body. And I'm not sure it would be that sharp either. Maybe on a tripod? Rusty's macro work just blows my mind....

Oh, and my method is to be a Bug Whisperer :-) I stand still and watch then creep up on them. Settings on the camera to start are shutter speed 1/200th and f4 with auto ISO. I watch the ISO to keep it under 200. If I'm worried about wing motion then I increase the speed and lower f-stop to keep the ISO in the range I want. And if the bug is calm then I go the other way, up to about f8 or so. Just to increase depth of field. Center point focus only with AI Servo (continuous focus) on.

With butterflies I slowly ease close, shooting all the way. Until I get to the edge of minimum focal distance. And that is approximately 12"

Yes, natural light. Almost all the bug pictures I've posted are natural light.

Back