• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Wyoming BDR

_RG_

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Day 7...toughest of 8. Through the Bighorn mountains to a crossroads called burgess junction. 108 miles as advertised. 22 miles of expert section over woodchuck pass. Weather looks good this morning. Storms with rain fell in the mountains last night. That is said to change the flavor of
20220814_075346.jpg
this section a lot. We'll have to see how it looks when we get there.

The group I am going with is also leaving for the WYBDR on the 30th.

We are riding North to South.

Last edited:
Day 7...toughest of 8. Through the Bighorn mountains to a crossroads called burgess junction. 108 miles as advertised. 22 miles of expert section over woodchuck pass. Weather looks good this morning. Storms with rain fell in the mountains last night. That is said to change the flavor of
20220814_075346.jpg
this section a lot. We'll have to see how it looks when we get there.
Couple of people airflighted for injuries on that section just behind us.

You failed to mention that at breakfast on Wednesday... LOL
Another one on 29 July from 13 miles north of Hyattville according to one of my riding buddies. You will be fine on your smaller bike.

Oh man, RG it is you that I missed in town the last two days isn't it?

Ive been on a good bit of the trail from Hyattville north and would really not want to do it on my 950 KTM , ok on the 450 but it’s not what I call a big bike friendly trail . But I’ve seen gobs of big bikes that stop in Shell that are riding it .

Ive been on a good bit of the trail from Hyattville north and would really not want to do it on my 950 KTM , ok on the 450 but it’s not what I call a big bike friendly trail . But I’ve seen gobs of big bikes that stop in Shell that are riding it .

Glad I decided to ride my little WR250R instead of a bigger bike.

The expert alt routes really are that. Bridger peak goes from mild to wild in the turn of a corner. It's a reasonably short rocky climb and then it's just groovin the smooth line. Section 7 woodchuck pass is full on kick yo booty from the moment you point your motorcycle up the mountain. Fun...fun motorcycle riding. Section 8 up to Montana is beautiful beyond words. Please take the time to finish that part. Lots of folks are bailing at the end of 7...tragic mistake. :rider:

Last edited:
The expert alt routes really are that. Burgess peak goes from mild to wild in the turn of a corner. It's a reasonably short rocky climb and then it's just groovin the smooth line. Section 7 woodchuck pass is full on kick yo booty from the moment you point your motorcycle up the mountain. Fun...fun motorcycle riding. Section 8 up to Montana is beautiful beyond words. Please take the time to finish that part. Lots of folks are bailing at the end of 7...tragic mistake. :rider:
We did section 8 same day as 7 since we got into Burgess Junction around 1 or 1:30. Made for a long day. We were on midsized bikes with minimal gear since we had a chase truck to carry all the “stuff”. Woodchuck and some of the other parts of section 7 would have been tough on heavily laden big bikes; especially for my bunch of over 70 year old guys. Well worth the trip and such beautiful country. God willing we plan to do MT or Idaho next year.

We're riding South to North so we'll likely cross paths. My group has done several BDRs before and are excited for Wyoming.
We have a group of 6 or 7 out of Dallas and Houston starting out of Baggs on the 28th so we may see you up there

We have a group of 6 or 7 out of Dallas and Houston starting out of Baggs on the 28th so we may see you up there
I got my days mixed up. We’ll actually be out of Baggs on the 30th as we’re doing a couple of the Co BDR sections also

Oh man, RG it is you that I missed in town the last two days isn't it?
Justin you've built a beautiful business at the brewery. I came by Saturday afternoon and ya'll were slammed. People standing 5 deep buying beer fast as the gals could draw the stuff. You heal up and next time I'll time my visit better so we can visit some. Btw...really like your speed goat brew. :)

Michael, appreciate the drown footage. It gives us a good look at our upcoming ride.

..........3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, , all need servicing of some sort all the time. You win the cylinder count, I feel your pain.

I have never been more humbled with the sheer size of America than our wondering through Wyoming. I thought I knew what big country was until I saw this place it’s so much larger and majestic expensive unbelievable I don’t have the words to describe just how beautiful this ride was truly epic. And I do want to Thank RG for asking me along for the ride

That’s my problem with Speed Goat , it’s too good , one and I don’t want to ride my motorcycle home , and two beers and I’m struggling to ride my bicycle home two blocks . No way I could ride to the brewery and really enjoy it , specially if I took the back roads .

That’s my problem with Speed Goat , it’s too good , one and I don’t want to ride my motorcycle home , and two beers and I’m struggling to ride my bicycle home two blocks . No way I could ride to the brewery and really enjoy it , specially if I took the back roads .

Haha! Fortunately you can walk across the street to the Shell Store.

Just a few notes before my feeble mind goes into purge mode. We stored our trucks etc in Craig Colorado at the Toy Box. There are storage places all over Craig. Shelly is the person to contact at 9708466635. She is very informal and will work with you. It's 43 miles north to Baggs from Craig.

Food and lodging are not a given on this bdr. Wyoming is way more remote than a lot of folks appreciate. Motels and restaurants are not available at the ends of every section. If you can camp you will have way more flexibility in riding. Camping is everywhere. FS campsites are great and dispersed creekside/lakeside camping is abundant pretty much anywhere you'll be. This is the way to go if you can.

Heat...it happens. A couple of overnights are around 5k elevation. It's hot. I got doggone lucky at one when some rain clouds gathered before dark and cooled things off nicely. KubotaMike rescued me from the other with ac.

Cold...mornings at elevation (like in the Bighorns) are cold. The air up there is incredibly dry so it warms up surprisingly fast. Until it does, though...have a light puffy and cap.

Rain...we had storm clouds nipping at our heels for a couple of days when we were in desert areas. These are simply impassable when wet. If you get caught out in one and get doused...set up camp and wait. Things dry out remarkably fast with sunshine in the dry air. Wyoming doesn't have the gulf playing tricks with weather like Texas. Weather is more predictable. Watch it and respect it. Trying to push through will tear up equipment and probably get people hurt.

I'll try to post up other tidbits as time and bandwidth permits.

Last edited:
….

Heat...it happens. A couple of overnights are around 5k elevation. It's hot. I got doggone lucky at one when some rain clouds gathered before dark and cooled things off nicely. KubotaMike rescued me from the other with ac.

….

Wait, Mike is carrying an ac unit on his bike??

Back