• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

East Tx 500 history?

Thanks SB, I still don't know where the route goes or if it is near to me, but I will be in Oregon this coming weekend (hopefully doing some paragliding) so can't ride!! Its a business trip but I have to stay in Oregon for the weekend for more meetings the following week, so hope to get some paragliding in whilst I am out there!!

Would love to ride with you guys anytime, it's been far too long since we last rode together.

Gary

It is basically the route you rode in 2011. Those cold winters up north must have taken a toll. :rofl:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66535#4

SilverBullet
I am in. Let's do Saturday and start in Huntsville.

Last edited:
Ok here's an update for others to ponder.

We now have 4 riders committed so this is a go. Currently Dannyboy (DRZ400), emmed1 (KLR650), dirtyrider (BMW GS) and myself (Super Tenere).

and one maybe: emmed2 (DRZ400)

Find your GPS file in the below thread. No GPS? No problem, not needed really. We ride as a group and you keep tabs on the rider behind you. This file is newer than my tracks so hopefully less re-routes needed. But still expect some dead ends, locked gates, closed roads, etc. but no sweat, we detour on the fly and will continue on. My fuel range is 220+ miles. I'm not even looking at the gas stops as I won't be the lowest. Know your range, review the map and inform me Saturday morning where you need to stop and I will. Same for lunch. I don't eat lunch so let me know if you want to break and what time/where and I'll stop. No problem with typical stops/delays, this is a friendly fun ride. I'm not an organizer and not out to accomplish anything except ride. I'm always flexible to the consensus within reason, no ride captain Nazi here. But...stops every 10 miles for smoke breaks and/or photo taking is not my style.
We are following the route clockwise.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111551

Saturday, Nov-19 start in Livingston, meet at Walmart parking lot, US 59 & Hwy 190
8 am KSU with full tank of gas.

Expecting to overnight somewhere around Garrison/Nacogdoches/Center. Will depend on how the day progresses. Nothing in stone. Will pick a cheap hotel and split a room as I don't want to pack heavy, find a campsite and do the setup and tear down for only one night. We can ride longer to dusk this way and get an earlier start the next morning.

Dannyboy and unnamed rider will be breaking away at a point of their choosing and heading back home Saturday.

So if you can do Sat, Sun or both days, either way you'll have company.

Ride is on rain or shine although forecast looks very nice. Rain is forecast currently for Friday so hopefully that is light showers to keep the dust down and doesn't make things sloppy. Mud won't stop the ride but we might do some detours if especially nasty.

Any questions? I'm sure I left out something.

If you're planning to show up please PM me a cell number and I'll exchange mine. If you wake up Saturday and change your mind or running late I'll expect a text message update. Don't want to leave someone behind at 8 am if they're on the road there. If the time doesn't work please comment with suggestions. If you want to meet us Sunday morning I can text you our location Sat night.

_

Last edited:
Remember... 9 mile road over by the lake (just before getting to Bean's campground) is now fenced off. Go around should be easy but probably not nearly so much fun.

Post about the Houston Co. 3 1/4 adventure ride is relocated HERE.

Last edited:
Silverbullet, I AM the rider with no name. :lol2:
Yeah, I'm Dan's friend.
I will be riding a KLR 650; my son may come along, he is 17, rides a DRZ 400 and just rode the Roll the Bones with me 2 weekends ago.

Just yesterday I was in DCNF on the MC for the first time. While coming back from Arkansas, and along 21, I did 30ish miles and really liked what I found and want to explore more. Was wondering if the sandy conditions would be too much on the AT, but the stuff I hit was great n' fun.

RG, you got them tracks of the ride you speak of?

Fellers - there's a whole bunch of dirty stuff that needs to be ridden all inside of Houston county. The track starts in Crockett at the Super Wally, overnights at Mission Tejas park (tent sites with water $9), runs about a third of the trip inside the Crockett NF, winds up and down most every dirt road on the map and then ends up back in Crockett the next day.

I have no idea if R1200's and V-Stroms can do this. Under ideal conditions - probably, but ideal usually lasts about 4 1/2 hours in that country. It's all dirt cept for some evil and unavoidable pavement transfer sections... but not many.

Day 1 is 206 miles - ending at the park. Day 2 is 120 miles. Gas is at miles 60, 78, 156. 165 and 257. There may be others but this is pretty much backwoods stuff so don't bet on it.

If the weather is fit next weekend, I'm going to load up the KLR and go run this thing (11-26). They say I really need adult supervision. :shrug: Any and all are welcome to throw in for the adventure.

If you would allow company I'm interested, but that date is ringing a bell for me, but can't remember what for. If I'm free I'd like to join. Old age can be cruel.

If you would allow company I'm interested, but that date is ringing a bell for me, but can't remember what for. If I'm free I'd like to join. Old age can be cruel.

I'm in similar to Rob unless memory corrects me. The weekend after Thanksgiving usually has plans but this years appears open. Maybe was wishful thinking for me dreaming of being out riding the CA/NV desert.

RG, didn't you just buy a new 1190R? Still prefer the old KLR for this type of ride? just curious.

_

Very interested !
And although I don't know if the stock tires could make this complete traxs..
depends on the previous weather I1am guessing here.

I would be able and willing to try on 26th with crf1000L .

AM a very strong MAYBE

and thanks for posting this exciting ride .
I guess 2nd time will the charm for me at least . CHEERS

OK I am getting confused in my old age.

We are doing this ride this weekend. 11-19 and 11-20 but some are planning on the weekend after Thanksgiving 11-26. Is this correct.

David are you planning on camping or Motel Saturday night? Or be prepared for either.
Thanks

OK I am getting confused in my old age.

We are doing this ride this weekend. 11-19 and 11-20 but some are planning on the weekend after Thanksgiving 11-26. Is this correct.

David are you planning on camping or Motel Saturday night? Or be prepared for either.
Thanks

Yes it is confusing. We now have two different rides going in a thread that wasn't even started to announce a ride. lol I wasn't aiming for a huge turnout anyway so will keep ride post here only. Currently 4 or 5 signed up and that's good for me but always more are welcome.

Post# 29 - ride I posted for this weekend, Nov-19 & 20 riding the ET500 tracks clockwise from Livingston. Ride either day or both. Sunday start location TBD but somewhere around Garrison.

Post# 31 - RG's Houston County ride (not ET500) next weekend Nov-26 & 27 starting in Crockett.

_

ARGGGHHH....

Have you ever spent too much time typing up a post and then after submitting it seen that other folks had already posted up stuff that makes your own look out of place?

That's exactly what happened here and I truly apologize for causing undue confusion with the ET500 plans. Seems SB and I were at it about the same time but since he thinks and types faster than me, the ET500 ride was already posted when my screen refreshed. Alright... I should have started a new thread for the Houston county adventure anyhow. I'll move that post over to it's own thread and try to clean up my mess here.

Thanks for yall's indulgence and kind patience.

The Houston co. ride is over HERE.

Last edited:
I'm in similar to Rob unless memory corrects me. The weekend after Thanksgiving usually has plans but this years appears open. Maybe was wishful thinking for me dreaming of being out riding the CA/NV desert.

RG, didn't you just buy a new 1190R? Still prefer the old KLR for this type of ride? just curious.

_

Yep the 1190 is awaiting its next adventure. Riding the old raggedy KLR is just an time honored tradition and makes some stuff a lot more fun. And besides, it really makes all the other motorcycles look way better when I bring it along. Top heavy under powered and smells like LockTight but ya can't kill the dang things. :rider:

Last edited:
What a great ride.
First day about 300 miles and stayed in Nacadoches.
David on the left, me in the middle and Joe on the right.
We ate at a great Mexican restaurant.

ET500-4_zpssmisjctd.jpg

With no one near by to take our picture you
will have to put the two together to get all three
of us in there.

ET500-2_zps4baeoc0y.jpg

20161120_093241_zpsrzwdqxmb.jpg

Half way thru the first day my speedometer
went to zero and quit working.
Sunday it was acting crazy showing 10, 5, 0, 7, 15 etc.
I took the cable off when I got home and guess
what a broken speedometer cable. Cheapest part of
a speedo fix. I lucked out.

ET500-3_zps1dqhe89u.jpg

We adjusted my chain four times in an hour on the trail.
It was stretching like a rubber band.
I move the blocks as far as they would go and
it was still loose. At one point it skipped teeth.
(I know we put the block in backwards)

ET500-6_zpsbnuhzncg.jpg

I had a great time and David and Joe are fantastic riders and
ride leaders. Thanks guys.

Time for a new chain Dannyboy!
I think that time came and went about 3 months ago. Haha but glad it finished the ride albiet without much margin. Only delayed us slightly and we still got back to Livingston at 5pm just before dusk.

Great weather, just a little nippy early am but we waited both days for the sun to warm up slightly. Removed long sleeve t-shirt layer around noon and fine for the rest of the day. Didnt even bring or need my jacket liner.

Road conditions near perfect thanks to a good rain Friday afternoon. Some small mudholes, all but a few had go arounds though. Sand always present and plentiful, miles of it in EastTex and got high in a few places but not dreadfully so for us as all experienced riding in it.

While you're shopping Danny you might get some new boot liners also. I think Macy's has a good sale going now. Doesn't matter what you buy there though as you only need the plastic bags they'll give you at checkout. Lol

20161119_075951_zpsejad0bff.jpg

_

Those are Getto boot liners I guess. Had a great time trying to catch that Yamaha all day that SB rides the H--- out of that thing.

Boot liners heck yes.
They have a thousand uses around me.
Have a new chain in the garage.
Ordering new sprockets now.
Speedo cable coming from Bikebandit.
Should be up and running in time for the Crockett ride Saturday.

7 of us went out Oct. 5th and rode he back roads between Silsbee and Comesneil that were part of the ET500. Very dry and the sand was fairly deep in several sections. I provided the entertainment that day by going over the bars at the one mud hole we came across. It has rained a bit since then and the sand may be a little more packed.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1465744&postcount=9980

mud1_zps9vk6rdkc.jpg

Do you have the maps/gps routes that include the roads around Silsbee? I would love to ride them. We have a dear lease just north of there in Fred..

Do you have the maps/gps routes that include the roads around Silsbee? I would love to ride them. We have a dear lease just north of there in Fred..

Silsbee to Colesmeil route isn't part of the ET500. That was a route put together by Harold he called the SETEX200 I believe. I rode it with him once a long time ago. I think his TWT user name is Silsvee. If you find his gpx route make a thread in this forum and post it please.

_

Back