• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1-2-3 Farm to Market roads; stop & smell the roses -- a sister thread

If you are receptive, you will see the 'roses'.

My most favorite paved road, Texas Scenic Road FM170 in Big Bend.
It is such a joy to ride, I rode it on a motorcycle six times before I finally stopped along the way to photograph it. Which took six more passes (on bike and in truck).

From Terlingua and Study Butte heading west, the first great roll in the landscape it ThirtyEight Hill, or called Pepper's Hill locally. On the maps it is the former, named after a nearby mine called Mine ThirtyEight.

460692422_A796t-M.jpg

You can't help but stop at the crest of this hill and look back east toward Long Draw at the bottom, Terlingua over the rise and the Chisos Mnts in the distance. I often stop here on the side, turn off the engine and just sit like a big bird overlooking its domain below. I feel small, yet so much a part of what lays below and to the sides, as if it was the road to my home.

460678404_YrLsw-M.jpg

Further west on FM170 is the Big Hill. Like the name implies, it ascends hundreds of feet. Now going west to east is a climax depicted in this next series:

460679552_GdGuY-M.jpg

460680729_9DLeS-M.jpg

460686907_6v2jz-L.jpg

I enjoy sitting on the side of the mountain and watching the scene below, including the road as it drops down and east along the Rio Grande.

Many miles west on FM170 toward Ruidosa the road winds through the desert and past long-forgotten communities, ranches and cavalry military posts. A lot of history in this area that few people are aware of. Now the land is sleeping and most all the buildings reclaimed by the desert except for a few ruins and the burial places as a reminder.

460681665_p3tMW-M.jpg

Now heading north is a county road with a long history and a devoted following of dual sport riders, and is one of my favorite back roads. It literally crawls and winds through the desert and mountains, an area more primitive than anything near Terlingua and even the national park. Much of the area has not changed for hundreds, maybe thousands of years. Yet it is not devoid of human habitation: the Chinati Mnts sheltered ancient peoples of this area for which archeological finds provide evidence, bandits and military traveled this road since the 1800's, and a few ranches scattered across thousands of acres still exist.
Pinto Canyon Road; it blends in so well with the terrain and vegetation, it's hard to see unless you look closely.

460682816_pzPts-L.jpg

A perspective that is daunting, Hwy 118 as it snakes across the basin and Badlands of the Big Bend towards Study Butte.

460683921_otHKt-L.jpg

North of Big Bend lies a large basin, an ancient ocean bed, over which Hwy 90 crawls. If you look closely at the walls of the earth where the road was cut through, you can see the many layers of sediment, sandstone and limestone. In places you can see two different periods of geological history where dark brown mudstone layers top white-beige sandstone and limestone. I unfortunately was not able to photograph any of those. I guess I'll have to go back and do that. ;-)

460684586_xZkkA-L.jpg

If you are receptive, you will see the 'roses'.

My most favorite paved road, Texas Scenic Road FM170 in Big Bend.
It is such a joy to ride, I rode it on a motorcycle six times before I finally stopped along the way to photograph it. Which took six more passes (on bike and in truck).

From Terlingua and Study Butte heading west, the first great roll in the landscape it ThirtyEight Hill, or called Pepper's Hill locally. On the maps it is the former, named after a nearby mine called Mine ThirtyEight.

---

You can't help but stop at the crest of this hill and look back east toward Long Draw at the bottom, Terlingua over the rise and the Chisos Mnts in the distance. I often stop here on the side, turn off the engine and just sit like a big bird overlooking its domain below. I feel small, yet so much a part of what lays below and to the sides, as if it was the road to my home.

---

Further west on FM170 is the Big Hill. Like the name implies, it ascends hundreds of feet. Now going west to east is a climax depicted in this next series:

---

I enjoy sitting on the side of the mountain and watching the scene below, including the road as it drops down and east along the Rio Grande.

Many miles west on FM170 toward Ruidosa the road winds through the desert and past long-forgotten communities, ranches and cavalry military posts. A lot of history in this area that few people are aware of. Now the land is sleeping and most all the buildings reclaimed by the desert except for a few ruins and the burial places as a reminder.

---

Now heading north is a county road with a long history and a devoted following of dual sport riders, and is one of my favorite back roads. It literally crawls and winds through the desert and mountains, an area more primitive than anything near Terlingua and even the national park. Much of the area has not changed for hundreds, maybe thousands of years. Yet it is not devoid of human habitation: the Chinati Mnts sheltered ancient peoples of this area for which archeological finds provide evidence, bandits and military traveled this road since the 1800's, and a few ranches scattered across thousands of acres still exist.
Pinto Canyon Road; it blends in so well with the terrain and vegetation, it's hard to see unless you look closely.

---

A perspective that is daunting, Hwy 118 as it snakes across the basin and Badlands of the Big Bend towards Study Butte.

---

North of Big Bend lies a large basin, an ancient ocean bed, over which Hwy 90 crawls. If you look closely at the walls of the earth where the road was cut through, you can see the many layers of sediment, sandstone and limestone. In places you can see two different periods of geological history where dark brown mudstone layers top white-beige sandstone and limestone. I unfortunately was not able to photograph any of those. I guess I'll have to go back and do that. ;-)

Now that's what I had in mind when I started this thread; stopping to smell the roses no matter what form they may take.

:clap: well done

Also very happy to see many others making that stop to capture images that everyone can enjoy well beyond their own ride and well beyond the here and now. I'm counting on my thousands of pictures keeping me in vibrant memories well beyond my own physical ability to ride.

carry on!

I went on my longest ride to date, 651 miles. I went north, around Lamar and Delta counties, leaving a little before 6 am so I could do the transit in the dark. The "Roadside Attractions" pics here all have an aviation theme (not planned, though. I didn't even notice up until the last pic)

First we have a UH-1 alongside US 259 N just south of Ore City (north of Longview). It's in front of a business that appeared to service logging equipment (:shrug:)

469540241_f5XtQ-L.jpg

Next up is another business shot, but this one specializes in restoring military aircraft. I can't figure out what the fuselage on the right is (my first thought was F-111)

469548218_mLf8H-L.jpg

Lastly, the craziest thing I saw today. A few miles west of Paris on US 82 sits this plane. It's hard to tell, but my bike is sitting right on the shoulder of the road (Unfortunately, heavy traffic precluded me from getting a scale shot. This plane is just sitting there, and I didn't see an airstrip or facility nearby. Anybody got an idea for markings on the tail? An old airline logo?

469583087_9RfbU-L.jpg

Jack (Sully)

Next up is another business shot, but this one specializes in restoring military aircraft. I can't figure out what the fuselage on the right is (my first thought was F-111)

469548218_mLf8H-L.jpg

That's a B1 Lancer. Was and still is a spectacular airplane.
B1_bomber.jpg

Cruisin this is an excellent idea. Here's a few from my FM wanderings:

No longer working, but excellent evidence of an inventive farmer with too much time and a lot of angle iron:

SANY1051.jpg

Only a spot on the side of the road anymore, town long gone:

SANY1035.jpg

In the middle of no where. It's the big red tank. Unconnected, maybe a reservoir for rural firefighters?

SANY0958.jpg

:doh: Why didn't I think of the B-1? IMO one of the more beautiful aircraft (and not just "bomber pretty")

I remember that one. The signs were all sound and fury signifying nothing. :roll:

I saw this funny road sign today while FM hunting over by Louisiana in Sabine County. It's just west of Milam, TX on TX 21

480902254_RuKLo-L.jpg

I like how I can see the "BRAKE FAILURE" warning light on the dash.

I really like the Farm to Market road thread and it stands well on it's own but during the course of getting those pictures are we getting any others? I am an avid photographer and stopping to shoot pictures of my meanderings is how I "stop and smell the roses". So, I'm offering this up as a sister thread to that one in that if you have pictures of anything interesting to go along with the road sign pictures then post them here along with where they are found by the FM # and maybe a short sentence or two if there is anything special to tell.

First up are the pics I shot on FM 296 approximately 20 miles east of Texline, 12/20/08. Old farm houses, barns, windmills and equipment is rich fodder for photography hounds.

If yo are so inclined, please add to this so that others might have the same opportunity to see what you saw.

Just want to say, I'm glad this thread has begun to resurface from time to time and also want to re-iterate the part in bold red letters; some others might like to see what you saw 'in person' some day. ;-)

In person? Dangit Cruisin, you and your rules!! lol

well, you know -- it's not really a 'rule' -- just hoping to learn of some new places to go for more photo-ops. ;-) it's what I do

Found today - I think I will buy property here:

easy_st_0368q.JPG

(sorry it's looking into the sun - no sign from the other direction)

And - did I forget something?

forgotten_0367q.JPG

:mrgreen:

I took this today on my FM quest. It's on FM 3278 in San Jacinto County heading toward Camilla and the Lake Livingston Dam. This is one of my favorite local rides.

LakeL.jpg

Last edited:
When out looking for FM roads, I also plan for courthouses. Usually there is a post office close to the courthouse square. Many new post offices have the same template and are uninteresting. However, some of the old ones have character.

PO in Henrietta. Also posted 'cause Gray Bill (Graubart) is from there:

d70_6552q.JPG

The old PO in Graham was interesting:

graham_PO_6106q.JPG

I like the one in Corsicana:

corsicana_2786q.JPG

:rider:

Well, I went out searching the southwest corner of the Panhandle for more FM Road signs, and I stumbled it. This is the mythical "No Where".

SANY1154.jpg

We should send that to Webster's. The definition of bleak.

I came across this yesterday. I suggested to the East TX crew that we go here for the next ride to eat event. What happens in Chick Town stays in Chick Town. And, the best part, when you get tired of your current SO, just move 5 miles down the road to New Chick Town

496019144_yNmLy-L.jpg

Back