• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1-2-3 Farm to Market roads; stop & smell the roses -- a sister thread

Told my wife, tortuga, about the turtle rescues & ya'll get :thumb: :thumb: from her!

:clap:

I can't quite explain it, but I'm suddenly overtaken with a desire to shop for insurance:

793048969_sEdDK-L.jpg

I came across a similar scene on FM455 a few weeks ago. The only difference is the 1st and 3rd signs were not present. Shortly after I pass "NO CENTER STRIPE", the asphalt ends and I had 3 miles of DS action. Only problem is I'm on an SS, not a DS. I think if they instead they only had the "PAVEMENT ENDS" sign, it would have been a better warning, and I would just have assumed there was no center stripe either. Then again, guess we couldn't put it past the gub'ment to mark lines on the dirt.

I finally have some pictures that do this thread justice. I ran across both these on the same day.

Picture020.jpg

Picture038.jpg

I couldn't get the bike close to this to give it any perspective.

OK, I missed a few of the FM signs a while back. Rather than clutter up that thread with out of sequence shots, here are some of my better ones.

Attachments

• 687.R80.jpg
    687.R80.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 288
  • 748.jpg
    748.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 278
  • 651.jpg
    651.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 271
  • 656.jpg
    656.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 282
  • 689.jpg
    689.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 274
continued . . .

Attachments

• 759.jpg
    759.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 277
  • 750.jpg
    750.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 269
  • 836.jpg
    836.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 255
  • 1034.jpg
    1034.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 292
  • 760.jpg
    760.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 282
. . .

Attachments

• 1041.jpg
    1041.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 298
  • 1046rr.jpg
    1046rr.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 283
Just trying some photo-posting stuff. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:
A couple of shots from my ride to Burleson Co today:

First, FM 1363 is only four-tenths of a mile long, but it has this little gem: a building with wall made of mud and wine bottles (and a door from an early 80's Renault Le Car!). I don't think it was a house, but then it didn't look like a bar either :ponder:

995845810_r6ReA-L.jpg

Also, just west of Madisonville on FM 1372 I came across this old gas station:

995843192_xafAQ-L.jpg

Here's a close-up of one of the pumps. Note the final price: 31 cents per gallon! My favorite part, though, is that "cents per gallon" is painted on the face, not part of the reel. The idea of gas costing over a dollar a gallon wasn't even a consideration.

995843461_tDZfe-L.jpg

I did 900 miles Sunday, Fredricksburg, Mason, Brady, Eden, Ballinger, San Angelo, Mertzon, Big Lake, Midland, Lamesa, Colorado City, Sweetwater Abiline, Coleman then Brady, Mason, Fredricksburg, Comfort, San Antonio.

It was the coolest its been since spring and there was lots of low lying fog which kept my speed down.

Picture001.jpg

I started stopping and snapping courthouses.

Picture008-1.jpg

Concho County in Eden, the courthouse is on a dirt road.

Picture033.jpg

Reagan County in Big lake. There is no lake there now.

Picture030-1.jpg

Irion County, Mertzon. This courthouse is on top of a very tall, steep hill.

Picture078-1.jpg

Mitchell County, Colorado city. The courthouse isn't on a square, but at the edge of downtown.

I rode west today through Kerrville, Medina, Vanderpool, Leakey, Rocksprings, Ozona, Sheffield, Bakersfield, Imperial and back through Bakersfield, Iraann, Ozona, Sonora, Junction, Kerrville and San Antonio.

Picture008-2.jpg

I saw these on FM 337 between Medina and Vanderpool. I only had a wide angle lens so you can tell I was very close. Hunting this elk would be like hunting a pet.

Picture012-1.jpg

They also have bison.

EdwardsCountyCourthouse.jpg

CrocketCountyCourthosue2.jpg

I went through Rocksprings and Ozona and snapped pictures of their courthouses.

Picture045.jpg

Here's a distant picture of Ft. Lancaster from the roadside park on TX 290.

359South2.jpg

I rode down TX 349 from IH 10 toward Dryden. I didn't go all the way to Dryden--I turned around at 3166 28 miles south of Sheffield. I'd never been there before, it went up over flat top mesas and down deep valleys.

Picture052.jpg

Picture051.jpg

Picture050.jpg

I was surprised to find water in Independence creek. From the looks of the fish in the creek it flows year round. This must have been a Godsend to the people traveling across the forbidding country, both red and white. I could hear a spring dripping water into the creek right next to the bridge.

I rode west today through Kerrville, Medina, Vanderpool, Leakey, Rocksprings, Ozona, Sheffield, Bakersfield, Imperial and back through Bakersfield, Iraann, Ozona, Sonora, Junction, Kerrville and San Antonio.

Mike and I will be riding out that way the first weekend in November- camping at Garner, riding all weekend. Can't wait!

Mike and I will be riding out that way the first weekend in November- camping at Garner, riding all weekend. Can't wait!

You'll have a good time Ceci, it is beautiful riding out there--you can ride for an hour and not pass a car. Watch your gas because stations are far apart. Give me a holler when you're on the way and I'll meet you.

Beautiful, Dennis!

Jack,

It is beautiful, in a desolate sort of way. I met a woman on a HD softtail doing an ironbutt ride. She wasn't very well prepared, but that seemed to be part of her plan. She got low on fuel west of Ozona and turned off on Texas 290 looking for Sheffield, not realizing gas hadn't been available there for a few years. She ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere. Luckily the guy who stopped to help her had a little gas in a can and gave her enough to get to the rest area on IH10. She borrowed enough from the maintenance crew there to get to the next gas station at Bakersfield, where I met her. There are two statiions in Bakersfield, both run by families and they are not open consistently at the same times. I've come through when both were closed.

A few pictures from my Friday ride..

Attachments

• 08012010013.jpg
    08012010013.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 273
  • 09102010038.jpg
    09102010038.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 268
  • 09102010036.jpg
    09102010036.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 264
So I had to run down to Karnes City to take a picture of FM 1354 so I decided to take a few pictures of the towns I passed through on the way. I skipped Floresville on this trip because US 181 doesn't run through the square.

Poth was founded on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad like most of the towns along US 181. The railroad was taken over by the Southern Pacific in 1892 and the depot is from the SP, not the SA & AP.

Poth8.jpg

Poth11.jpg

Poth6.jpg

The building was in disrepair, but showed signs of a restoration in the past. The grounds are used for storage or all kinds of machinery and sand and gravel.

Its not a county seat, but the city has a sort of quadrangle with a pavillion and planting areas.

Poth13.jpg

Poth15.jpg

Poth12.jpg

Poth16.jpg

This building interesting. The railroad would have run from left to right across the picture just in front of the large opening facing the camera. I have no idea what it was built for.

I lived for awhile in Floresville, about 8 miles north of Poth. The Poth Pirates have an outstanding girls sports programs having won multiple state titles in basketball and volleyball.

Karnes City was next, its the county seat of Karnes County and was also on the SA & AP railroad although except for the roadbed, there isn't a sign of the railroad in the town any more.

KarnesCountyCourthouse.jpg

KarnesCounty2.jpg

The courthouse.

KarnesCity9.jpg

This is an interesting building, no telling when it was built , but it was to sell those new fangled automobiles. Think they are a fad?

KarnesCity13.jpg

The new dealership

KarnesCity14.jpg

The lumberyard--it would have been right next to the railroad.

KarnesCity8.jpg

KarnesCity2.jpg

KarnesCity1.jpg

downtown

Cestohowa. Not much here except this church built around 1892, but updated in the '30s. Apparently it was built afte the church in Panna Maria burnt down and was controversial at the time.

Cestohowa2.jpg

And Gillette. Not much here either. This was once a busting community at the crossroads between a north/south and east/west road. It had its own hotel, sawmill, grist mill and cotton gin--all run off of water power from Ecleto creek which was dammed to run the mills. It was originally called Reidelville after the owner of the mills. I couldn't find the hotel.

Gillette.jpg

On another note, it was the first really cool day to ride. Looking forward to the fall and winter.

Dennis, your post really hits on one of the things I love about this game (and the FM roads themselves). Passing through all these old town, I always try to imagine what they must have looked like in their heyday. I always try to look up the town's history on Handbook of Texas Online: Link

I also love seeing courthouse photos from central/west tx. It seems the courthouses out there are so much prettier. I grew up in Lufkin, and Angelina Co used to have a beautiful courthouse that burned long ago. The current one looks like an early 60's department store. Even Nacogdoches, The Oldest Town in Texas (TM), has a brand new, butt-ugly courthouse :thpt:

Back