• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2013 Uncle's Around the Bend and Uncle's Desert Challenge - Mar 7-10, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about attending this event with my plated crf250x. It would be my first and I am not sure what I will need. Is gas readily available? Wil I need to carry additional gas with me on day rides? Are the rides all day, half days etc? Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to understand how to prepare for such a trip.

Thanks.

If the tank is two gallons or less, I suggest carrying extra fuel. I have a 2.7 gallon on my KLX 250 and I still carry a large MSR fuel bottle in my pack. Some of the loops are long and its hard to have fun worrying over fuel. There are at least two places to buy fuel in the park. I think most fill up at the Panther Junction store and then head north to Dagger Flats and the Ore Road south,my favorite loop!

Just follow Bob's tanker, I mean KLR.

I am thinking about attending this event with my plated crf250x. It would be my first and I am not sure what I will need. Is gas readily available? Wil I need to carry additional gas with me on day rides? Are the rides all day, half days etc? Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to understand how to prepare for such a trip.

Thanks.

You should bring extra gas, even if you don't need it. It's a desolate wasteland out there. I had a $10 gallon jug from walmart strapped to my bike. Some poor guy on a KTM was running on fumes and I gave me my extra gallon. That probably saved him certain doom.

Big Bend is not the place to run out of fuel, water, or riding talent!
Bring extra. :rider:

Most of the water crossings are easy!:rofl:

Big Bend is not the place to run out of fuel, water, or riding talent!
Bring extra. :rider:

Most of the water crossings are easy!:rofl:
I know of one out near Shafter that stays wet all year. Spring fed and green as any in the hill country.

Two more things to bring for anyone that has not been here before... Tubes and tools. Be prepared to fix and pump up either tire anywhere you are. Some of the rocks are as sharp as the plants.

Do you think a klx 110 could finish the course in the time allowed. Love to be an underdog!

I don't know the capabilities of the KLX 110 so I can't speak directly to your question. Here are some thought to help you decide if the KLX can get the job done.

There is no public off-road riding in the Big Bend region. We will be riding only on public roads so a plated, legal motorcycle is required.

The course will be mostly dirt - around 90% dirt - with little high speed riding in the dirt. Most of the dirt roads will be rugged and riding speeds will be low. A few of the dirt roads will be graded and maintained so riding speeds will be a bit faster - say 35-45 mph.

The pavement sections will be fairly short, most with a max highway speed of 45 mph (that's the speed limit in the national park). There are a few short sections of highway with higher speed limits.

There are only 2 gas stations in the national park and only one of them is close to the course. I suggest a range of about 125 miles is the minimum you need in order to participate. If your bike doesn't have that range, carry extra gas or make arrangements to siphon gas during the ride from a buddy who has extra range (a KLR rider for example).

Tricepilot has this really cool boom that comes out the back of his KLR. You just ride up behind his bike and the fuel transfer takes very little time. Hardest part is maintaining proper speed an position while refueling. It's impressive! :trust:

I know of one out near Shafter that stays wet all year. Spring fed and green as any in the hill country.

Two more things to bring for anyone that has not been here before... Tubes and tools. Be prepared to fix and pump up either tire anywhere you are. Some of the rocks are as sharp as the plants.

Ed, I don't know what you're talking about. When I drove by your place out by Terlingua last month, I thought it was a new golf course that had been put in out there, and the all the dirt road surfaces were like riding on a Walmart parking lot. This is the first I've heard about rocks in this area of Texas.:lol2:

I'm in!! Paid and sent email.

Is anyone interested in helping with gas. I will be pulling a trailer and have room for one more bike. I live in Joshua TX near Fort Worth.

Also I'm pretty much a noob to dirt and would like to meet others of the same skill set.

Just a little food for thought. That weekend is the first weekend of my spring break, which mean it is also the probably corresponds with a majority of the rest of Texas, either first or last weekend. It will be very busy out there and rooms will become hard to find. If you are going I would suggest you get your room or camp ground booked.

Tricepilot has this really cool boom that comes out the back of his KLR. You just ride up behind his bike and the fuel transfer takes very little time. Hardest part is maintaining proper speed an position while refueling. It's impressive! :trust:

Is that because the KLR is SLOW .................................................:shrug::duck::duck::duck::mrgreen:

I am all set. Paid fee, room reserved, and totally excited to make this for the first time. Now I need to decide what bike to take. I just bought a new 2011
DRZ 400s and I still have my crf250x.

I was wondering what would work better in Big Bend area. The DRZ has stock oem tires(Trailwing 41 and 42) and I have a pair of Bridgestone Gritty ED04 and ED03 dot tires that I was thinking of throwing on. I would appreciate any advise.

I was wondering what would work better in Big Bend area. The DRZ has stock oem tires(Trailwing 41 and 42) and I have a pair of Bridgestone Gritty ED04 and ED03 dot tires that I was thinking of throwing on. I would appreciate any advise.

Dunlop 606s or any good DOT knobby. I'm not familiar with the Bridgestone Gritty tires you mentioned. The Trailwings that come on the DR and DRZs are limited in all aspects PARTICULARLY if they are old and hard.

Thanks guys. Looks like I will be practicing g tire changing. I've been watching Tricepilot's tire and flat string. The ed04 are similar to the d606 knobbies.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back