• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3rd Annual Around the Bend

trice, here's something weird...and getting further and further off topic. I looked up Salma Hayek on Google to double check the spelling, and guess what came up? Numerous hits and pics of our lovely Ms. Hayek breast feeding. Now before anyone jumps to the obvious lewd conclusion, it apparently had something to do with feeding orphans and/or sick children with mother's milk for a therapeutic reason in a third world country. However, something makes me think that the reason for all the Google hits has little to do with the milk of human kindness...so to speak.:lol2:

Disclaimer

My references to Ms Hayek are for entertainment value only and are not to be misconstrued to mean, with relevance to her attributes, that I am focused on anything other than her contributions to the motion picture industry and world peace

608571784_muSvP-M.jpg

My dad and I attended this ride last year and had a great time. Good eatin in the mornings too!

I'm coming back again in February, but have a conflict with the weekend of the 27th and so will be coming the weekend beforehand.

I'm keen to check out the newly opened portion of the state park. Does anybody have any gps tracks for ride-able roads in this area or for the canyon in Mexico pictured in Richard's earlier post?

Thanks!

I will be making it this year for my 3rd year! Will be parking the TT next to Phillip
on the road to Uncles out by the main road. If any one gets in a bind for a shower
or bathroom if I'm there you can use it. Last year I was hooked up at Larrys RV park
at Study Butte but this year I got two more batteries and can use the gen for back-up.
See ya there.
Bob

How technical does the dirt get out there? Can I take an airhead and slap knobbies on it and go where the dr650, xr650, klr guys go?

If its single track then no....but if its jeep trail like, its possible.

pecos,

Most of the dirt roads in the area are class 2 and 3.

You can ride an airhead on class 2 and 3. It will just be more work than on a lighter bike. Maybe more work than fun.

Re: Disclaimer

You know a thread has gotten off track when it started discussing a big bend ride and ends up with critiques of spelling, merits of celebrities, and photos of dancing goats. :rofl:

I'm trying to adjust my schedule to go. Let me see if I have the details correct. So, the place to stay is Terlingua and we can just show up and camp at the place next to Uncle without warning? Does that place have shower facilities? Or toilets? Other people in town will wish I had access to the former and me to the later. We meet each morning at the "kafe" to eat breakfast and group up into rides? We do the same at dinner and then hangout with the beverage of choice on porches and continue discussing the merits of various celebrities. Have I got it down or am I missing anything?

Dahveed, I see nothing off topic about trice's posting of a dancing goat. When you arrive down there next month, go into the Terlingua Ghost Town store and check out a fairly famous stuffed goat on display. There's a history of goats and Terlingua.:lol2:

But seriously on your camping questions, there is only a small outhouse that I've seen on the Gareth Park property next door to uncle's. Right across the road at the Ghost Town location, however, I did notice a hostel that I would think would have showers available...perhaps? I camp in a van and bring a portable chemical toilet and a solar shower. I showered just about every evening after my ride when camped at uncle's last month, and it was not at all unpleasant. Put on swimming trunks, and you don't even have to worry about shocking the neighbors.:lol2:

Dahveed,

Gareth Park, next to Uncle's, is private property but the owner allows us to use it during this event. So, yes, just show up and grab a spot. It is primitive camping - no running water, no showers, etc. There is toilet 1/4 mile across the street, next to the Starlight Theater. The Study Butte Motor Lodge & Campground, 4 miles away, has toilets and pay showers ($2 for 6 minutes, bring quarters with you).

There is a riders meeting each morning at Kathy's Kafe. Following that, riders group up and go ride whatever each group wants to ride that day.

There is no organized meeting in the evening. Most riders head over to the Front Porch of the Terlingua Trading Company for tire kicking, adult beverages, and/or story telling.

Does anyone know if tricepilot's dancing goat's T-shirt has "Ski Terlingua" printed on it?:mrgreen:

Richard, I walked by that hostel one evening on the way back from a Starlight visit and kind of looked in the front window to see what was up but couldn't really tell much about it. Is that a camping hostel, and if so, I was wondering why it's not mentioned as a resource? It looks like a bunch of tents outside...or something...and I was just curious as to its function. I'm a cheap basstid and am always self-contained in my van, but I was curious if that's a traditional camping hostel...or something else.

TNC,

I'm not completely certain but I think you are talking about the Las Ruinas Camping Hostel next to the Boathouse Restaurant. They offer "miner tent camping". They have some white A-frame tents, like the ones you see in old western movies, available for camping and a bus w/awning as the kitchen and lounge. I haven't stayed there but I believe it's about $10 a night and I think they have a toilet and showers. I don't know if folks not staying there can use the facilities. The contact info for Las Ruinas is in the guide book. It's the only camping I know of in the Ghost Town.

Last edited:
Yeah Richard, that's the place. Your Boathouse comment jogged my memory...and the miner's tents.

You know a thread has gotten off track when it started discussing a big bend ride and ends up with critiques of spelling, merits of celebrities, and photos of dancing goats. :rofl:

I'm trying to adjust my schedule to go. Let me see if I have the details correct. So, the place to stay is Terlingua and we can just show up and camp at the place next to Uncle without warning? Does that place have shower facilities? Or toilets? Other people in town will wish I had access to the former and me to the later. We meet each morning at the "kafe" to eat breakfast and group up into rides? We do the same at dinner and then hangout with the beverage of choice on porches and continue discussing the merits of various celebrities. Have I got it down or am I missing anything?

Nah Dahveed, I think you have it:clap: I am gonna hit the misses up about it tonight. BTW...put paperwork in to bank on Burbos bike, will have answer tomorrow. Might have to break it in for the missus:rider:

Richard, If dahveed goes. most likely will I an maybe 2 others from our neck of the woods. I downloaded registration already:sun:

Nah Dahveed, I think you have it:clap: I am gonna hit the misses up about it tonight. BTW...put paperwork in to bank on Burbos bike, will have answer tomorrow. Might have to break it in for the missus:rider:

Gratz on the new bike Ghost! Hope it works for you. When are you planning on heading down: Thursday or Friday? The return is less critical for me, but I gotta get the ex to cover the kids. If I get her to pick them up on Thursday, then I can head out Thursday about 8:00 am from my home.

I hope to be there this year. I hate that I missed this one last year. Ya'll had way too much fun without me! Will there be any 'unknown roads' we need to explore Richard?? I have nearly recovered from Mexico :-)

Delores

Will there be any 'unknown roads' we need to explore Richard?? I have nearly recovered from Mexico :-)

Delores

Yes, there will. :rider: I don't think we have to worry about 30 river crossings though. :mrgreen:

There are some new roads in Big Bend Ranch State Park that need to be reconned and reported on.

Gratz on the new bike Ghost! Hope it works for you. When are you planning on heading down: Thursday or Friday? The return is less critical for me, but I gotta get the ex to cover the kids. If I get her to pick them up on Thursday, then I can head out Thursday about 8:00 am from my home.

Wife did not seem to have problem, so up to us to work out logistics:rider:

Killin me... haven't had real work in 6 months and suddenly (last few days) I'm swamped through March. I was really looking forward to this... going to see if I can tweak the logistics and sneak out there with Rockit and Centex.

Back