• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

$4000 for a picture

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
As many of you may know, Calgary-Yogi, DFW_Warrior, Moose, and I are going to ride to Alaska. We depart this Friday morning. We have put up a little web site at http://www.sparkyphotog.com/cads where you can get more info about where we're going and what we will be doing. We will be posting updates during our trip on that site and here as well - hopefully. As much as I would like to be able to update the site and this ride report while traveling, there are no guarantees as to internet availability. So, please check out the web site to see what we've been doing to prepare and watch for updates. Oh, and here's a little video showing how to pack for an expedition ride in 15 seconds. :mrgreen: Thanks!

THE OFFICIAL RIDE REPORT BEGINS ON PAGE 14

Re: Going North...

Dang... I guess I should start packing shouldn't I? Oh yeah, and finish working on the trailer, and finish up the work I need to do on the truck. Oops, I forgot that I need to finish working on stuff for the bike as well.... Oh yeah, I still need to get a chatterbox working.... Oh yeah, and make copies of all my documents....

Yep, I'm almost ready to go.... LOL

BTW, my title to the thread was going to be, "$4000 for a picture", seeing as that's really how this whole thing got started....:lol2:

BTW, my title to the thread was going to be, "$4000 for a picture", seeing as that's really how this whole thing got started....:lol2:

So what is it now? I went all the way to Alaska and I didnt even GET the stinking picture???

Dang... I guess I should start packing shouldn't I? Oh yeah, and finish working on the trailer, and finish up the work I need to do on the truck. Oops, I forgot that I need to finish working on stuff for the bike as well.... Oh yeah, I still need to get a chatterbox working.... Oh yeah, and make copies of all my documents....

Yep, I'm almost ready to go.... LOL

Bill, you mean you don't have checklist like Sparkyphotog has on the website?:eek2:

Bill, you mean you don't have checklist like Sparkyphotog has on the website?:eek2:

Nah.... I'll just pack her up like I usually do except this time I'm adding a little more camp food, and a little extra camp fuel for the stove. Other than that, it's pretty much the same routine.

It's going to be a fun trip for sure. I just can't wait to get the truck portion of it over with and get to the riding.

:doh: I should have consulted you before I started the thread! Oh well - say, maybe we can have one of the admins change it for us. :trust:

Actually, I don't use a checklist either - that one belongs to Yogi. My method is to lay it all out on the table, check it over to make sure I got everything, then pack it up. I usually forget one or two things, but that's what Walmart is for! :lol2:

:doh: I should have consulted you before I started the thread! Oh well - say, maybe we can have one of the admins change it for us. :trust:

Ask and you shall receive. Main thread title is changed and I believe that all new replies will pick it up, as long as they aren't quotes of older posts with the old title.

No worries buddy.... either way, this is going to be one heck of a trip.

Have a safe, great, photographic, crashless trip!! And come back and post lottsa pix!
Wally:rider:

When we did our Alaska/Canada ride we found free internet access at most local libraries and most of the touristy towns had internet cafe's with reasonably priced access.

Ask and you shall receive. Main thread title is changed and I believe that all new replies will pick it up, as long as they aren't quotes of older posts with the old title.

You rock! :rider: :clap:

DARN! I wish I was going!

How long are you planning on being gone?

23 days total, 17 of which will be on two wheels.

When we did our Alaska/Canada ride we found free internet access at most local libraries and most of the touristy towns had internet cafe's with reasonably priced access.

I figured as much, but even when it's available, sometimes it isn't really, or it won't work for all that you want to do. I've been in places where download speeds were great, but upload was painfully slow, making picture posting all but impossible. When in Colorado last summer, "high speed" at the ranch we stayed at was anything but, so we had go to town and "borrow" WiFi from the local motel. Should be able to get access most evenings though.

Bill, et al, a suggestion about your documents. I have done this and know several folks that have also done this. Scan your drivers license, passport, etc into your computer and the attach them to an email to yourself. that way all you would need is internet access and you have copies at the ready. Just a suggestion. Have fun and enjoy the trip.

Bill, et al, a suggestion about your documents. I have done this and know several folks that have also done this. Scan your drivers license, passport, etc into your computer and the attach them to an email to yourself. that way all you would need is internet access and you have copies at the ready. Just a suggestion. Have fun and enjoy the trip.

That's a good idea. We have each made copies of all of our documents and plan to trade. For example, I'll have my originals and Bill will have my copies and a spare key to the bike.

Well... the trailer is officially done now. It has new lights, I-bolts are mounted down the center for strap locations, and some links of chain are welded to the outside frame for more strapping locations. The truck got it's oil changed and a good once over, plus a blow fuse replaced in the trailer circuit.

I have still yet to pack of even begin to pack. I should be able to start that tonight, but I don't know for certainty just yet. I still need to give a dog a haircut, figure out my GPS program that doesn't want to unlock, mount the GPS to the bike, then figure where I put all my stuff from my last camping trip. On a side note, I did manage to roll up my camp pad last night. Time to check that baby off the things to do list!!! LOL

Back