• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

4th Annual Chihuahuan Desert Hard Dual Sport Ride

Reaction score
First Name
Sander
The 2023 Chihuahuan Desert Hard Dual Sport Ride days are:
  • Thursday, March 2nd
  • Friday, March 3rd
  • Saturday, March 4th
Like the other Hard Dual Sport Breakfast Series rides, this a no host, no sign up, no entry fee, no tracks, self-guided ride.

Just a loose get-together for the hard dual sport community to get out and ride, enjoy camaraderie, exploration, growth, and being safe; in addition to developing and renewing friendships so no one rides alone.

"Share the Joy of Motorcycling".

Just show up, ride when you want, where you want, with whom you want, how you want.

***Most riders will be on plated dirt bikes or the most off-road worthy street legal dual sports.
This is a hard dual sport ride however there are plentiful adventure riding opportunities in the area.

We'll get together for dinner on Wednesday night before the ride around 630-7p at xxxxx.

Sleep
1673102354194-png.png

Motel
There are many short term rentals, motels / hotels in the area to be able to find a comfortable spot.

Riding
1674493588402.png

Groups take off around 9a Thursday - Saturday.
On truly street legal dual sport motorcycles.

As the ride is self-guided join a group or lead one; it is beneficial if possible to group up by:
  • bike size
  • desired pace
  • difficulty
  • length of ride
  • etc
Group sizes of 6 to 8 riders, or less seem to flow the best.
If the group groove isn't what you expected, be prepare to split the group up further to increase enjoyment.

Be prepared for 80 miles or so between fuel stops.

Group etiquette:
To keep the group moving, avoid the dust and so no one gets separated, the daisy chain method works great if everyone simply makes sure the rider directly behind them, and so on, makes the corner, etc when the direction to continue isn't 100% obvious. Just because you see the rider behind you it doesn't mean they see you, and the proper direction to continue.

To work though, each rider (except the sweep rider) must take responsibility for the rider directly behind them. If not its a total failure.

If you do get separated, stop at the last known spot the group has ridden, the group with backtrack to you.

If you decide to break off from the group, tell the group leader before you do.

What is it like?
1667659088095.png

Last edited:
My daily groups are full for the ride.

I can help other groups plan their ride day each morning, such as point you in the general direction. I don't have any GPS tracks of the area. I ride by sight IE "that looks good, lets go over there".
That works well most of the time, but as you can see in the day 3 video above, sometimes it doesn't.

Also we'll get together for dinner on Wednesday night before the ride around 630-7p at La Posta De Mesilla.

And as a reminder be prepared, you'll be in the desert, have:
  • Plenty of fuel
  • Food for lunch and a snack later
  • More water than you think you'll need
  • Know how to fix a flat, with tools and spares
  • Tow strap
  • Extra plugs, levers, etc.
  • Be self sufficient
There is a multi line shop in town. Still I would bring anything you think you could need with you.

From post 1.
As the ride is self-guided join a group or lead one; it is also beneficial if possible to group up by:
  • bike size
  • desired pace
  • difficulty
  • length of ride
  • etc
Group sizes off 6 to 8 riders, or less seem to flow best. If the group groove isn't what you expected, be prepare to split the group up further to increase enjoyment.

Be prepared for 80 miles or so between fuel stops. ***Most riders will be on plated dirt bikes or the most off-road worthy street legal dual sports.

Last edited:
I'm planning on going. Looks like I am solo. Still trying to figure out my logistics, lodging, truck etc. If anyone is interested in splitting fuel, splitting room, PM me.

The ride starts one month from today! I'm ready for more exploration.

This is a clip from the last afternoon, it was already an eventful day, RacerX and I needed more... Rekluse clutch's work for a lot of riders, not me.

Rekluse clutch's work for a lot of riders, not me.
Sander, could you expound on this comment? I assume you were not using one in that video and that it would have been a bad situation to have a Rekluse? I thought they could still be feathered. I've never ridden with one, but I have one in the box; never installed.

Alan, I hope you are healed up without issue!

I was, in the video you can hear my hesitation and uncertainty when applying the throttle to find when the Rekluse would engage. That used too much of my concentration. I did adjust the Rekluse over the 3 days and never found a setting I was comfortable with it. With a manual clutch the engagement point is consistent and modulated by me. My favorite aspect of a 300 2 stroke is the lug ability at low RPMs, in the lower gears. With the Rekluse I never stalled though and used the clutch less on singletrack.

My biggest issue was walking the bike down a hill in the video below, walking the bike I wasn't able to reach the rear brake, and with no drag in gear. Three drops were the result.

And I scratched the beautiful orange frame.

I did offer a trade on TWT, or to buy a take-off, no takers.
https://www.twtex.com/forums/thread...-2020-ktm-300-xc-w-have-a-rekluse-now.129928/

So, I sold the bike.

Here it worked great for me.

I did buy a GASGAS version though, with the stock clutch. And now I have much more confidence in the slow technical stuff.

As with most products, it up to the users style and preferences, they work well for some, not for others. Just my experience.

Last edited:
Watched the video, and just wondering what was the large headlight was on the two KTMs?
I have a smaller LED, but it looked like a flame thrower.

Large round headlight, that’s me. It’s a Cyclops Adventure Sports 7”, you can get it in regular bulb or LED. Like all things, price has increased a lot. I got caught several years ago in the desert at night for several hours with the stock KTM XCW light. My buddy had the stock XR650R light. He said it was like a midget was inside the light holding a match 😝. Never again, I immediately came home and bought the Baja style light. I wanted daylight at night and I love the old school round light, I guess a throw back from my Dad’s era machines. I can also put a Bitwell tool bag on top and hold stuff on big trips, me likey!

1676137992679.png

Looks like a great place to ride. I'll have to add it to the bucket list

I installed new front and rear tires and have re jetted. Ready to roll.
Derek and I will be driving out together for arrival Wed afternoon and staying at Days Inn - ride HQ.

I might join you, been watching those temps. Will you be wearing a pink bikini?

Back