• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend Feb 28 - Mar 3, 2024

Everything in BB seems to be jittery, still popping fillings back in. I liked RR, but it can get "long" at times. I do like the section after Mariscal to Glenn Springs. It's the desert, keep hydrating, I drank 90 ounces during the day, and about 156 ozs total per day. Some mustard, some pickle juice, and other electrolytes. Also not wearing obnoxious AdV gear which increases the sweat rate.
We would carry 2 gallons of water on long trails around Utah, like Lockhart Basin, Kokopelli, or even the White Rim in the old days. In addition to ice cold Steel Reserve. We did not snort mustard for hydration, with shots of pickle juice. You would not be any fun to ride with at all.

We would carry 2 gallons of water on long trails around Utah, like Lockhart Basin, Kokopelli, or even the White Rim in the old days. In addition to ice cold Steel Reserve. We did not snort mustard for hydration, with shots of pickle juice. You would not be any fun to ride with at all.
Ed are going to make it out for this ride?

:rofl::rofl:I am a blast. Opinions vary

Per Peter, the Big Bend 400 is now an official event. See Peter's post on the Whatsapp Big Bend Announcements chat for the details.

(If you aren't on Whatsapp, download it now please - all information during the rally is disseminated via Whatsapp. If you fail to do this you will spend your time at the Around the Bend wondering what's going on and where everyone is.)

The short of it is that anyone doing the 200 or 400 should be at the Chili Pepper restaurant at 7 am on Friday morning, with a full tank of gas and ready to ride. The restaurant is opening at 7 am so you can eat before you depart (if you so choose). The goal is for you to be riding by 8 am. You must have a ride partner.

Peter will have a sign in sheet for all riders. Signing up adds you to the Whatsapp group. Please share your live location on Whatsapp to make it easier to find you should you break down or get hurt.

When you finish the the first lap (200 miles) and arrive at the Alon gas station in Study Butte, message the group indicating whether you are finished or will doing a 2nd lap. This is a safety measure and helps Peter ensure no rider gets stranded in the desert overnight.

You should be able to complete one lap (200 miles) in 6-8 hours assuming no break downs or crashes.

Hey folks, we got over an inch of rain out here (Alpine) in the last 24 hours. I expect things to be a serious muddy mess. Y'all pay attention, that changes the riding quite bit. Be aware of trenching up the roads in the park and Terlingua Ranch, and be careful with yourselves and your bikes.

...No you can't :(

All during-event conversations happen on other platforms, so we on the sidelines never hear or see the stories. Big loss for the wider TWT crowd, but I do understand that a web forum isn't the best for logistics, etc during an event.

All during-event conversations happen on other platforms, so we on the sidelines never hear or see the stories. Big loss for the wider TWT crowd, but I do understand that a web forum isn't the best for logistics, etc during an event.
Yeah, it used to be a big part of the site to follow some of these rides. Mexico as well.

why is it we cannot see any updates on this event?

because no one that went chose to post any updates...

What? Are these ADV/FB posters or just riders that prefer to ride over spending their time posting their pic at a restaurant or when removing their bike from a 12" water crossing? I'm a bit jaded to be sure, but a few pics would be nice! I love to see the terrain. I used to excude folks from follow on rides who took pics of their drowned bikes. Im nicer now but my belief is still it the the realm of "no falling down" and if you, do pick it up before anyone sees :-) and never tell your wife you fell down! She'll take your bike away, or buy you a bigger one depending on her plan for your life.

Somebody will come along eventually. With a group that large, its rare to not have a rider post up some interesting stories.
Most riders are just returning home as of yesterday and today. I can promise that there are plenty of stories, a couple broken bones and a million pictures, when we all recover a bit

I feel better now... i posted hundreds of times on rides in CO on ADV when it was legit, pre poser. But never would you see me at a restaurant or with wet pants in a creekbed, although both existed :-)

Great weather. Lots of dust and smiles.

Attachments

• 20240301_150636.jpg
    20240301_150636.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 20240301_110129.jpg
    20240301_110129.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 20240301_111301.jpg
    20240301_111301.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 70
Brief report:

This was my second time attending Around the Bend.

Thankfully the rain didn’t affect our experience, aside from reducing the dust factor. The weather was perfect and we had a great 3 days with no major issues. A few folks had spills but the few injuries in our small group were minimal and minor. We had neither mechanical nor tire issues. All of that in itself is a success. Everything else is a bonus IMO!

Day 1: Top of the World then Santa Elena Canyon. Super fun, challenging and scenic.

Day 2: Glenn Springs, Black Gap, River Road East, Rio Grande Village, Chisos Basin. Glenn Springs and Black Gap were more difficult than we remembered, but we still had lots of fun despite mucho grumbling in the helmet comms about tired muscles etc.

Day 3: I did a solo run on 170 to Pinto Canyon, then Marfa, then cut back via 169/Casa Piedra through BBRSP, then 170 back to Terlingua. It was great riding by myself in remote new to me areas. It ended up being about a 300 mile day, and I didn’t get back until nearly 7pm. I finished this ride very satisfied with the whole trip.

There’s much more I’d have liked to have done, but that will keep me excited for next year. It was great meeting and riding with y'all!

Attachments

• IMG_5308.jpeg
    IMG_5308.jpeg
    577.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5321.jpeg
    IMG_5321.jpeg
    647.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5330.jpeg
    IMG_5330.jpeg
    590.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5335.jpeg
    IMG_5335.jpeg
    671 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5338.jpeg
    IMG_5338.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5357.jpeg
    IMG_5357.jpeg
    511 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5361.jpeg
    IMG_5361.jpeg
    522.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5366.jpeg
    IMG_5366.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5369.jpeg
    IMG_5369.jpeg
    442.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5374.jpeg
    IMG_5374.jpeg
    533.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5377.jpeg
    IMG_5377.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3286.jpeg
    IMG_3286.jpeg
    355.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5268.jpeg
    IMG_5268.jpeg
    560.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5265.jpeg
    IMG_5265.jpeg
    312.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5146.jpeg
    IMG_5146.jpeg
    417.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5151.jpeg
    IMG_5151.jpeg
    350 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5152.jpeg
    IMG_5152.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5157.jpeg
    IMG_5157.jpeg
    508.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5199.jpeg
    IMG_5199.jpeg
    486.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5214.jpeg
    IMG_5214.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5229.jpeg
    IMG_5229.jpeg
    445.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5230.jpeg
    IMG_5230.jpeg
    603.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5243.jpeg
    IMG_5243.jpeg
    724.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 086d8947-d439-4ac7-8841-3cbb2d1fce8d.jpeg
    086d8947-d439-4ac7-8841-3cbb2d1fce8d.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5244.jpeg
    IMG_5244.jpeg
    510.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5248.jpeg
    IMG_5248.jpeg
    527.9 KB · Views: 39
Great photos and report, Jeff. Looks like a fun time in down in Big Bend Country. Thanks for posting. My grandson and I will be camping and hiking down there next week. I'm glad the weather is good. Later this year, I will take the cargo trailer conversion toy hauler and T 700 for a solo trip to BB for a good adventuring and camping experience.

Great photos and report, Jeff. Looks like a fun time in down in Big Bend Country. Thanks for posting. My grandson and I will be camping and hiking down there next week. I'm glad the weather is good. Later this year, I will take the cargo trailer conversion toy hauler and T 700 for a solo trip to BB for a good adventuring and camping experience.
Sounds awesome! When you go on the T7, check out Pinto Canyon Road...if you're not already familiar. I really enjoyed it.

Quick review of my experience during the Uncle’s Around the Bend 2024

Day one
Old Ore Road, Boquillas Overlook and Hot Spring

Day Two
Maverick Rd, River Road E, Black Gap, Glen Springs and Chisos Basin

Day Three
Top of the World

Back