• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend rally - March 23 - 26, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not knocking you here or anything but I gotta ask. Why would anyone buy the absolutely largest cc dual sport bike available only to want to ride with the 200cc or less bikes? Really curious about that.

_
I wanted a single compromise bike that could do several things 'ok' and not just one thing really good. It only weighs 50 lbs more than my old WR450F but is far more comfortable to ride 250+ miles in a day to commute to a destination.

Not saying it was the right choice but I guess we'll see over time.

Would you consider a KTM 690 ER a 'small bike' and appropriate for what you're planning on doing? Sounds like what I'm looking for.

You are welcome to bring it. All bikes are welcome. There is always a guy on a 1965 Honda 90 that outpaces a less dedicated KTM690.

The Dos Y Dos was intended to give small bikes a multitude of fun destinations with minimal skills, 60 mile gas range, 25 MPH top speed, and a large group using the famous lolligag riding style. Trailering to the east side of the park from ride HQ opens up all those cool attractions to the camper bumper / minibike / 2 stroke / modep crowd who wouldn't ride the 50 miles each way to get there.

Attractions include: Mariscal mine (and hike to the top), Ernst Tinjas (rock pools), Boquillas Overlook (and lunch in Mexico if desired), riding the Tunnel, a peek at the Rio Grande Village campsite, and swimming in the Hot Springs / Rio Grande.

Year one we rode 25 miles of mud with torrential rain and hailstorms thrown in.

Year two we rode 75 miles, saw the mine, overlook, and hot springs and had a 30 mile roundtrip broken bike rescue.

Year three I'm hoping for even more adventure!

I quess i didn't understand what the Dos y Dos was all about. I can see what the confusion was about for me wanting to bringing the 690.

There will be plenty of options with lots of groups forming up - I'll either be brining my GS or if fate smiles upon me a Husky 701 - either way I plan on doing a lot of dirt roads in the park. I've done them before on a GS and on a WR450 - definetly faster and easier on a smaller bike but a whole lot of fun and adventure regardless of the steed. If I get the 701 in time then I'll also probably try and go hurt myself in the state park as well - got some unfinished business there...

By the way - La Kiva is back in business and the new owner is a super, super interesting guy. My girlfriend and I were in the area on hiking/camping trip sans bikes in October and spent a truly magical evening at La Kiva. God I love that area.

I plan on being there on a new to me big bike GS. I've ridden BB area (roads) several times and have always wanted to do some of the more remote riding.
It's been a minute or two since I've done any trail riding so I suspect a lot of this will be involved:eek2.
I'm sure I'll be one of the slower riders but hey, at least I'll be in BB seeing and getting a different perspective of the area.
I've made tentative reservations at the Chisos down the road already since it looked like slim pickings at the El Dorado.
Look forward to meeting up with everyone.

Volunteer

Gina

Thanks for the welcome. I'm really looking forward to getting back to BB and seeing some of the off road sites and meeting new folks.
As this develops, I may bring my RT as well and do a mix of both on road & dirt. This was going to be strictly an off road venture for me, but I suspect my wife will eventually decide she wants to come as well.
Certainly the GS is fine for both but the 'ol RT does provide for less buffeting going down the road.
It's also just a few days before our anniversary so it will be good to have her along anyway....keep me in good graces too.

Volunteer

Traxx,

No I haven't paid the rally fee yet but will soon. I think I'll wait until after Christmas so Santa has some extra jingle in his pocket just in case.

I currently run mousse bibs in my KTM 350, but from looking at Google Maps, it looks like there is quite a bit of asphalt around the park and Terlingua (which is no bueno for the bibs). Would it be best to switch to tubes and pack the repair kit?

I currently run mousse bibs in my KTM 350, but from looking at Google Maps, it looks like there is quite a bit of asphalt around the park and Terlingua (which is no bueno for the bibs). Would it be best to switch to tubes and pack the repair kit?

Mousse inserts don't care if the surface is asphalt. They don't like high sustained speeds, whether on a dry lake bed in Baja or on a highway. The park speed limit is 45. The pavement around the area--that is up to you how fast you want to ride. On that bike, keep the speeds under 65 and you will not have trouble with Mousse inserts.

Mousse inserts don't care if the surface is asphalt. They don't like high sustained speeds, whether on a dry lake bed in Baja or on a highway. The park speed limit is 45. The pavement around the area--that is up to you how fast you want to ride. On that bike, keep the speeds under 65 and you will not have trouble with Mousse inserts.

Thanks for the info Johnf3. I've never ran much pavement on this bike.

Thanks for the info Johnf3. I've never ran much pavement on this bike.

Take your Triumph too. That 350 will be fun on the 4 X 4 dirt roads, and well-suited to the terrain in the State Park, as that area is the most technical.

Your Triumph would be nice on the paved River Road to Presidio and on all the other pavement.

Signed up and hotel booked. Waiting on TrailBoss confirmation email that makes it official!
Looking forward to it!

OK, registration fee mailed! I'm in for this. I'll be camping. Coming in from El Paso and should have some time to check out Ft. Davis, Marfa, etc. earlier in week and arrive at Terlingua on Thursday.

dcw

Stoked about coming. Registration soon to complete, but have a room booked. Wife is probably coming so we will do a mix of riding 2-up on the GS and tooling around the trails on our Yamaha's.

Hope there isn't this much rain....as was my last Big Bend Ride.

Phone11-10-2014324_zpsa5c1bdd3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back