• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HOUSTON: Battleship Texas

it's cool, but at some point, with steel vs salt water, don't you have to say, "Good night, ol' gal" and turn her into an offshore reef? I guess as long as people want to spend private money on it, go for it.
I saw this video about this exact problem a few days ago.
From the Battleship New Jersey site, but applies to all museum ships.

Then at some point, instead of making it a coral reef, surround it in concrete and let it live on. A great example is the Japanese pre-dreadnought battleship Mikasa. Older than the Texas and still alive today, setting in a sea of concrete.
1668359821043.png

I guy I know was part of the group that helped save her and get her moved. Pretty cool if you ask me and I look forward to seeing it all done in its new home.

Has anyone taken the Sunday drydock tour?

There are a few others posting on the ship's Facebook saying the same "Ugh!" My 90yr mother was just here. She and I with my youngest son went to see the ship about 3 years ago. When the notice came out that drydock tours might be available in Nov. I was excited that the three of us might go. $450 would be out of our reach.

There are a few others posting on the ship's Facebook saying the same "Ugh!" My 90yr mother was just here. She and I with my youngest son went to see the ship about 3 years ago. When the notice came out that drydock tours might be available in Nov. I was excited that the three of us might go. $450 would be out of our reach.
Diesel/insurance is expensive, then to make profit in the endeavor.....=$150/HEAD. I can understand knowing all the bull **** these days

I get that this is a fund raiser and they also don't want a bunch of people touring in a work zone. So a high price brings in decent money and keeps the crowds down.

I get that this is a fund raiser and they also don't want a bunch of people touring in a work zone. So a high price brings in decent money and keeps the crowds down.
Speaking of high prices, what is the cost of the ticket to Disneyland/world these days I heard it's nuts too.

I bet there's a comic out there that has talked about this with his kids about how they are not even getting close to that place.

Thanks for sharing. all the interacting systems are amazing and wow, 425 lbs of charge, 1500 lb shell, 35K lb breech pressure!!!

Yeah, the multi-layer barrel construction was a surprise to me, but it makes sense. Can't imagine the sound!

Long time ago there was a plant down on houston ship channel that made cannon barrels , closed up before the 70s . A friend of my Dads was the electrician there , kinda wished I hadn't been such a rugrat at that age and new a little bit more of the history of it and some of the stuff they made there . Later on as I worked in and around stuff down there I saw some of the buildings still standing .

Fortunately, miraculously actually if you think about it, we still view Texas from above the water. This fascinating tour of the Titanic draws you in, and gives a good idea of what the numerous shipwrecks from war and otherwise now look like.

This is mind blowing!!! I see there's a series of these and man, what a tour!! With the images of the hull in dry dock and views inside it, I imagined a lot of the ship was in bad shape, but these videos show an amazingly intact turret system. This guys shirt gets progressively wetter and with the echo in there, is a good example of the special kind of **** it had to be to be in there. And while the turret is moving! I was supposed to be doing some work this morning, but........

I am always impressed with the scale of things in the maritime sector.
The sheer size of everything compared to what I see and work with on a daily basis...motos, autos, etc....are just mind boggling to me.

Back